Screw it and get the new Macbook?

hell yeah, be the envy of all the cafe squatters

True, that is a good point to look at, I think that was a weird decision as it could have been easily possible to add more ports from what I know

doubt I would use a lenovo product again, maybe I'll do more research. the lenovo I have now is $1000 and it's pretty garbage (my fault, but who would make that POS?) So far my prime considerations are xps (have not heard of issues, need to do more research), surface 3, and zenbook... if I get one of those (that can support it) I may put some form of Linux and have fun with that (or have a virtual machine on it) thanks

A bit unrelated but a Macbook with linux would be a snazzy little machine.

1 Like

I would take a look for Asus and Dell (robust and well supported) laptops with equal specs as the PRO and just put a Linux OS on (elementary OS for example if you really like the apple-like minimal design). For the basic use you are describing a MAC BOOK pro would be a HUGE HUGE waste of money. More than it already is.

The surface is terrible for typing imo. But good for almost everything else.

You really haven't tried that new Surface Pro 3 type cover then. its not like a physical laptop keyboard. but it's damn near close and the typing experience is good. not amazing but pretty good.

not at all unrelated, I don't know much about using other OSs on Mac but it seems like an interesting thing to do

lol yeah macs are overpriced, thinking more, I have less of a desire for one (especially since I wrote this late after typing an essay and I was kinda pissed off at the time)

carries mechanical keyboard lol but yeah haven't done the research yet, probably going to this weekend or sometime, I'm not in a big hurry to get this device either so yeah...

Thats fair enough. I know that some of them have definitely had problems, especially their consumer line. If you've had problems definitely don't consider them until you see a good couple of years of improvements.

The XPS you cant go wrong with from what ive heard, and when it comes to Linux support it is all there. Linux 4.0 has included the fixes of a few small niggles it had, and Dell have firmware updates to address the rest. They are small fixable/fixed issues.

its definitely a contender along with the zenbook witch ive also heard good things about with Linux if you were considering how well its supports it.

alright, again going to need to do more research, thanks

Look up the Asus UX305. Same core M processor as the macbook but it is hundreds of dollars cheaper and uses windows which is way more functional then OS X.

Chromebook environment. Neither am I too familiar with it

You mean to say you're not familiar with the internet? Everything runs from the browser.

not too familiar as in I had no idea that it was only a browser, I have seen them and don't like the idea of having internet to run it because my internet goes out a lot and I'm not commonly around internet (when not at school or at home)

That is one of my largest arguments against the Chromebooks, that and storage space. I'm for lots and lots of local storage, it's just something that I've always done.

While this isn't false, it is a gross oversimplification of ChromeOS. There are many other things to consider other than "can ya doez da interweebz".

I want to just friggin type on it. Watch youtube I don't want to game on it or edit videos.

In this case its pretty straight cut.

Fair deal then, it is however a huge waste of money to buy a Macbook just for youtube and typing. You'd be better off buying a cheaper laptop then getting a data stick or something with the money you saved.

true, if I wanted something just for YouTube and typing I'd pick something for cheaper, but now I'm wondering why, specifically last night, I was in such a desire for a macbook. I think I was just mad at my laptop lol... thanks

Oh shit, I forgot about the storage, unfortunately all of them have low amounts of storage (1tb is my goto) but then... I won't be playing any games on the darn thing so 500gb is fine. I have to limit myself on every device that is under 500gb, which does get annoying. thanks