Screen Recorder for Wayland?

I'm pretty stumped so far. No screen recorders I've tried work with it. Anyone know of any?

I'm not sure if there are any quite yet.. gnome has one built in maybe that?

currently trying to figure out how the hell to use weston

OBS, SSR dont work btw. Wayland support is still labeled as a "feature request", and they've been like that for a year now.

quote from the SSR dev to my recent reply on his github.

Are any of the major distributions shipping with Wayland as default, or even as the only option?

I've had long discussions with the Wayland developers years ago about implementing screen capturing, global hotkeys, absolute positioning and other protocol features which they are still lacking. They aren't particularly enthusiastic about the idea, and the discussions got nowhere. They seem to feel that applications shouldn't actually need any of these features, therefore these features should not be used, and therefore implementing them is a bad idea. Someone has tried before to submit patches that allow absolute positioning - they got rejected. I'm pretty sure that the same thing would happen if I tried to submit patches that would allow screen capturing. The developers simply don't want these features.

They also had some legitimate but rather inconsistent/nonsensical security concerns. They were (rightly) worried that such a protocol feature could be abused to create keyloggers and other spyware, but at the same time they ignored that, at least under the current Linux permissions model, these keyloggers are already possible by other means. So obviously refusing to implement these features does not actually improve security. Some people simply refused to believe that this was a problem, so at that time I wrote my proof-of-concept Wayland keylogger.

I proposed that we should add these features now, and later, when a desktop environment with sandboxing capabilities actually shows up, simply disable those features for applications that don't have permissions to use them. Pretty much like Android does it. They didn't like that idea. They wanted something that was 'as secure as possible' even without sandboxing. I feel that this is a nonsensical stance since I had just proven that under their current model, security is not possible, so their nag screens asking the user to grant the application screen casting permissions would just be a nuisance that doesn't actually improve security - security theater, basically.

Since the entire discussion about security policy clearly wasn't getting anywhere, the developers decided to move all the policy-related stuff into 'Wayland Security Modules', which is pretty much the Wayland equivalent of 'Linux Security Modules' for the kernel. It means you can integrate Wayland with the security system of your choice without making Wayland dependent on that security system. It's a really good idea but it was also a lot of work. I was interested in writing screen capturing software, not dealing with security policies, so I decided to wait until the developers had decided how they wanted to handle their security, and meanwhile I just focused on SSR for X11 and OpenGL.

This was three years ago, and I haven't really been following Wayland development since then. AFAIK there is still no standardized screen capture interface, but it seems that the KDE people are now dealing with the same problem related to screenshots. It's still not a standardized solution and it's still not suitable for screen capture, but at least there is some progress.

For the time being, I think the most realistic option for me is to add Wayland capturing capabilities to GLInject. This is technically the ugly option but it doesn't require any permission or collaboration from the Wayland, GNOME, or KDE developers, and it will work for any application and any desktop environment. It's still a lot of work though, and I'm working on a number of other projects now instead of SSR. Since the number of people that run Wayland is still extremely small, it's not a high priority for me.

tldr; FUCK WAYLAND.

Time to go to Gentoo.

1 Like

Wow. Sounds like the Wayland folks are fucking pricks. I've always been a bit put off by them, but now I've got good reason.

Is absolute positioning really needed though? I'm not a pro with OBS.

I just installed the Gnome Extension "EasyScreenCast", And works well on my machine.

Intel i7 / intel HD4600 / Fedora 25 / Wayland

2 Likes

Since you cant view other wayland windows within a wayland app, and there is no starndard way of screen capturing I guess each compositor needs to implement this feature, sicne the compositor should be able to view the windows. I guess whatever gnome is using as compositor is doing this.

This is bad because then OBS and other capture software are blocked from being able to do this.

https://linux.slashdot.org/story/16/08/20/0341200/fedora-25-to-run-wayland-by-default-instead-of-xorg-server

I use Fedora 25 at work. I can screenshot fine, but I've yet to try video recording. IDK what they've done to bypass the issue, if anything at all.

I will be able to test it later today.

Gnome's built in recorder records crap quality anyway, i'd use ffmpeg

Default Shift-Ctrl-Alr-R works just fine, you can set the framerate so that the quality is not crap anymore. The default framerate is limited because it's made for presentations more than for multimedia, but it can do it when required.

When I was on wayland I tried that gnome recorder thing; didn't work.

My issue was resolved when I distro hopped to Ubuntu Mate (something that doesn't use wayland).

Wayland has been a step backwards and I cannot recommend any linux distro that has this set up by default. If you want to use linux for multimedia production, screen capturing and the like then you need to stay away from wayland with a 10ft poll.

Just tried it again, works just fine on Fc25 though.

Also, the remaining little problems with wayland have almost all been solved. Some can't be solved because they are not in wayland, but are problems in proprietary software, like steam games that have a mouse pointer tracking mechanism, so-called for anti-cheat... yeah right... the fact that wayland reacts badly to those things, is a bonus, not a problem.

2 Likes

i am really salty about wayland and want nothing to do with it

thats the point. Since now the majority of lnux distro have wayland as their main compositor, anyone with my use case is now locked to using older distros (which won't work for using newer hardware) or distros that don't or choose not to support it. Severely limiting my options.

And you know what... thanks to open source you actually can. You can use Mir for a modern experience that kinda works or X11 for a traditional experience that will continue to kinda work. You can also switch between wayland and X11 on any particular distro in seconds, all it takes is to login again, don't even have to restart your machine for it.

2 Likes

Gentoo is current.

1 Like

Debian Stretch, Gentoo/Funtoo, etc...

Also, nobody forces you to use wayland, you can switch easily

I actually tried using gentoo and had issues with it setting it up to boot with UEFI mode. But then I got frustrated and just wanted something to work so I caved and installed Ubuntu.

Average Joe Person is not going to want to install Gentoo just so he can have Screen recording abilities.

Average Joe is also not going to stick with i3 WM to hang on to X11 at all cost. Average Joe will just want all of the nice graphical features of a modern graphical desktop environment. The level of integration of wayland of course causes developers to push themselves, but so does maintaining X11. The open source world does not do hypes, they didn't decide to start with wayland because of the craving for a novelty system, they actually weighed the cost of development of wayland against the cost of maintaining X11, and wayland came out on top.

1 Like