Scp / ssh over file manager

so my main issue is that i keep a sync folder on my raid that is mirrored on my phone. if i want something from the raid while im out i have to wip out my laptop and use commandline to cp files around. if i use nautilus to copy or move something over scp it will drag it to my laptop and send it back (like down to coffee shop across town, this is crazy)

id love to be able to have the same local control that commandline cp and mv have but with a file browser. the holy grail would be an app for android that could do this also… but clearly linux is a little more able

any one else have any experience with this?

Just checking, you are using Android and *buntu?

i keep a sync folder on my raid that is mirrored on my phone. if i want something from the raid while im out i have to wip out my laptop and use commandline to cp files around.

These statements seem to be in conflict. If it’s mirrored to your phone, why would you need to use your laptop to copy files?

id love to be able to have the same local control that commandline cp and mv have but with a file browser.

Most (but not all) Linux file managers support protocols in path names. Using something like:

ssh://[email protected]/home/kenkoda/dank-memes

Will allow you to access phone.localdomain (device) over SSH as the ‘kenkoda’ user, and it’ll drop you in that system’s /home/kenkoda/dank-memes directory.

1 Like

I use a small rsync script to back up my phone storage to my server, could easily write the command the other way around for your case. Use keys and automate running with Tasker or manually run in a terminal.

so the sync folder is mirrored but to copy things in to it on the server i have to move or copy via laptop. if i use a file browser it treats it as if its a local copy and drags it thru what ever connection im using

so file server has folders

/raid/phone/sync
/raid/downloads/content

i have to copy from content to sync then tell phone to re sync the updated sync folder. this works well but only if i use terminal to cp or mv as that command will work on the file server and move it there. not drag it thru network to my laptop just to send it back as if the laptop is transferring it

why not just use nextcloud? it has an app.