SATA Express: Who's Got It?

After seeing yet another motherboard review with yet another set of sata express ports, I am really starting to wonder.

Does anyone have anything that uses it?

Does that port come under license? As in do we pay more for its inclusion?

Is there a point any more it is being included? M.2 has that covered right?

And in some if not all cases it shares connections with M.2 anyway so it is a one or the other choice. So if there is nothing I can name off the top of my head now, is there even a point in adding it any more?

Can anyone offer a valid reason to keep them around? Some boards are even coming with U.2 ports on board now instead of adapter cards. This is further making Sata Express less relevant.

Is it about time that people started asking manufacturers to remove them?

SATA Express = 10 Gb/s
SATA 3 = 6 Gb/s
USB 3.0 = 5 Gb/s
USB 3.1 = 10 Gb/s
Thunderbolt 1 = 10 Gb/s
Thunderbolt 2 = 20 Gb/s
Thunderbolt 3 = 40 Gb/s
M.2 4x (PCIe 3.0) = 32 Gb/s

S-Ex port was redundant the day it launched.

The good thing about SATA was that you used the same cable throughout the whole revision, 1 through 3. S-Ex broke that up like a mangled ape broke a typewriter.

1 Like

I have only seen one drive that uses it. Its that new crazy Intel NVMe drive. Even then, I only saw it in a single Paul's Hardware video. At least I think that's what it was.

Personally I like the idea of using PCIe storage. I like to see lots of IO cards in a computer. As weird as it is to say, it makes the computer look powerful.