Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX VEGA 64 -- how good is it? | Level One Techs

Nah he is saying it is old and slow and cannot keep up with the games requests, so does not instruct the card quick enough for it to do anything but idle I am guessing.

But you more than meet the specs otherwise. I had a look at the PCGamingWiki to see if it flagged up any issues, but nothing really of note. You could try running it in DX11 mode to see if that will kick it into gear.

I do like the fix for poor performance on Mac’s though…

World of Warcraft might run sluggishly on older-model Macs despite having the required specs.

• Install a Windows partition using Boot Camp

Yup, that would be my theory. WoW is basically a CPU only game, graphics don’t matter at all there. Keep in mind, despite all the expansions and updates over the years there is still 15 year old code somewhere below it.

The other games are also held back by the CPU, especially by it’s single core performance.

If you have a solid board you can try overclocking the 8350 but maybe keep an eye out for deals on DDR4, a 2600X and B450 boards over the coming months.

1 Like

If WoW doesnt utilize that CPU then settings are wrong, or they have later on fucked up something

From what I remember

That timingmethod is tied to resolution, TBC had that default to 720p thing and even 1080p capped to 60?, and 1440p capped to like 30-45ish, this is the main reason that Shattrath used to have so shit fps

Then you could try checking if these are correct, or if pushing it increases usage :man_shrugging:t2:

and then probably coresDetected - # of CPU cores detected

:joystick::monkey:

Regardless, that 8350 is just horrible cpu compared to my 1700, I literally got twice as many turns to Civ 5 from my upgrade, and Witcher 3 gained 10 …15? fps

I looked into the cpu bottleneck and it is definitely there. But now my question is, where does the field level out and how can I really balance the card well into a system. The 2600x sounds good, I probably don’t need a x470 chipset although buttons are nice. Would a 2600x hold well enough in comparison to the 2700x? I’m going to run some overclocking later and do some math but anything helps.

An upgrade is probably going to be a lot more then 10-15 FPS for WoW and Pubg. Since the gpu was only pulling 30% and 30 watts or so.

BF4 and Csgo probably won’t see as much difference since the cpu issue looks like object numbers and locations being limited for render.

FWIW I had an 8350 that bottlenecked my RX480. Went Ryzen 1700X and performance increased pretty dramatically in at least a few titles (Tomb Raider reboot comes to mind) so I’d imagine it’d be even more apparent with a Vega card.

nice vid.

So far after reading up on it, a 4.0 with 4.2 boost oc’d to 4.35 with 4.55 boost and 2055 ram clock up from 1866 yields much more consistent frames. Up about 10-12 FPS and much more consistency on the 8350 Vega nitro build all around.

The reading I did suggested that ram speeds had a lot to do with gpu speeds and it looks like it helped.

Also wow turns out uses all cores by default now which equates to about 30% or so of 3.5 cores. There are no longer console commands and SET parameters for it. But all and all with setting set back to 7 from 10 I’m seeing 70-180 frames now up from before after the OC settings.

Still, the performance outside full screen mode is looking quite hamstring’d to games using fullscreen.

On a side note, has anyone gotten glitches using the in-game overlay from the gpu software. Mine seems to crash games, mostly bf4, when enabling it and running it through loading maps.

New things

But game specific panel looks like it was before

I have a non-Limited edition Nitro+ RX Vega 64 in a Linux machine. The fans are always on. They’re supposed to be off below, I believe, 56C. Same behavior with different distros, different kernels, etc.

In Windows, on the same hardware, the fans behave as advertised.

Anyone seen the same? And fixed it?

Also, am I right that I cannot find any Linux software to configure these cards?

if not mistaken you can do some configuration in the kernel ( requires getting down and dirty and looking for the fan configs and tweaking them past generic reference design and set them to sapphires profile.)

So… I installed Windows. The fans on the Sapphire spun at idle on the reboot.

Installed the Radeon driver/settings software and used that to reset the card to “Factory Defaults”. The fans were not spinning at idle on the reboot. Yay.

Booted a live Ubuntu image. Fans spun at idle. Boo.

Installed Ubuntu. Fans spun at idle. (Thinkin’ the reset to default reset the driver, not the hardware.)

Installed the 4.18.rc7 kernel. Fans spun at idle.

Toggled the tiny Mystery Switch on the upper left side of the card and rebooted. Fans were spinning. (Sapphire documents a button on some Vega 64 cards that is a BIOS switcher. The flimsy documentation for this card doesn’t mention this toggle switch and I can’t find anything on the net.)

I’ve played around with radeon-profile and blundered into a way of turning off the fans at idle (and verified they do come up appropriately when needed). But, I haven’t found a way to preserve that over a reboot.

The fans are spinning at about 1200 at idle. They are not especially loud but they are audible and louder than the air cooler’s fans.

Oh so its there? I did not find that even though my Fury had it there, or maybe this Nitro+ normie penis extension doesnt have that

You have limited or regular card?

Regular. Trying to figure out how to keep the fans from spinning up at idle, which is how it should behave.

Alrite, then I should have that too

Before it was like this

• towards ports, aka left - boost
  • towards right - normie

Thanks. I’ll give it a try and see.

Got this radeon-profile tool to pay attention to a custom fan curve after a reboot, altho I’m not quite sure how I managed it. It’s a systemd service with a QT app to control it. Much rather see AMD, or someone, produce something like nvidia-settings.