Sanity check on build - new 24/7 server build ryzen 3700x and ryzen 3900x + cooler recommendation

Hello,

So I want to finally upgrade my old server.
Current server:
core i5 3350p, 32 GB RAM
3 x 240 gb SSD + storage from NAS.
1 x 1 gb NIC

I am using the server for:
Opnsense FW with IDS/IPS turned on( I know, not optimal with 1 NIC, but I have L3 switch handling the local traffic between devices and NAS)
Win server with AD
Additional Windows VM
2 linux VMs

Basically I want to update it to the modern standards.
Server will be in the living room so it has to be quiet. Power draw is also important. I do not want second hand parts (network card being humble exeption)

Current build idea:

• Asrock X470D4U (don’t see a reason to go with X570D4U as the new version is 2 times more expensive)
  • 64 GB ECC ram
  • Fractal Design Define Mini C Case
  • some cpu cooler
  • Intel network card with 2 extra ethernet ports.

As for the CPU here I have a dilemma.

Ryzen 5800x / 5900x → with 105W TDP is really making me worry, so I’d rather put something else to 24/7 machine.
Ryzen 5700x → I think it would be ideal → plenty of additional power but not supported by the motherboard.
Almost as good fit for this build seems to be 3700x. 8c/16t and 65 TDP. Buying it new doesn’t make sense as it costs the same as 5700x. Fortunately my current gaming rig currently have 3700x.

So here is where my idea comes. I will buy 5700x and put it into my gaming rig (motherboard supports it). 3700x will go into the server build. Does it make sense? Is there maybe some other build idea that would make more sense?
Also, can you recommend any good, quiet air cooler that will fit into the Fractal case?

1 Like

I honestly would go with Ryzen 3700 pro or 4750g so you can effectively use the ecc ram properly. As for your gaming Rig I would wait for the new ryzen chip coming out soon.

1 Like

ECC is enabled on non pros, the thing that pros do special is encrypt the ram

That’s not what I said but hey who’s counting

I went the fractal node 804

Almost the same specs as you propose, depending on how many vms you need to run or containers this has been a great learning box and for home use with plenty of room to grow data wise.

Chipwise… im going the route of holding out for the 5800x3d to drop in price just before 7000 release. That would go in my gaming rig, then take your old chip and put it into the server build.

Either chip will work great for that board as a server. I had the 2700 in it then the 3700x, and it will get the 3900x soon as I get my 5800x3d. :slight_smile:

Thanks, sorry for the late reply I did not get any email notification that there were responses here -,-

@Bushi1147
I was looking into Ryzen 3700 pro, but there is honestly no good deal in my country to get it.

As for 4750G, yes it is tempting. Thanks for the suggestion I will look into it!

@HaaStyleCat I really like this box, thanks!

1 Like

I am starting to like the 4750g option. Performance similar to 3700x and lower power draw. Better ECC support.

Do you know what cooler would be enough for it?

I found in other thread that Alpenfohn Brocken ECO Advanced is compatible with motherboard but I am wondering if it is an overkill for 4750g.

I think I will go with that CPU, fractal node 804 case.

As for ram I am going with 2x M391A4G43MB1-CTDQ 32 gb Samsung ECC RAM.
I want to have update option in future and going 4 x 16 gb is only slightly cheaper.

1 Like

No prob if you want go with the 4700ge if you want lower tdp only 35w and about the same price as the 4750g
Otherwise nice :+1:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.