Samsung, Micron, Hynix sued for alleged DRAM price fixing

seem legit?

5 Likes

While I’m no expert and could be wrong, I’ve thought for a long time from the outside looking in “why haven’t they been able to bring up production by now?” something doesn’t smell right about the whole situation.

1 Like

Ha. Assholes. I like hynix ram, but not that much.

1 Like

This isn´t totally unexpected. Let´s see what comes from this.

“Oh, a lawsuit. Guess we’ll just have to raise chip prices to cover the expenses!”

-Samsung/Hynix/Micron

16 Likes

Who would have seen this coming :roll_eyes:

The ideal outcome would be to rob them of their profits they made over the year with the increased price. So this would stop. I mean how can this happen for the 3rd? time…

It’s been pretty obvious pc parts prices have been up higher than they needed to be for awhile now, starting with dram. Look at that samsung press release that was mentioned in a level1 news episode about 4 or 5 weeks ago- production shut down at a samsung facility for a few hours, and that was going to affect the entire year’s memory supply. Yeah, right.
On the other hand, the article said this law firm involved had a similar case awhile back, and got a $300 million settlement. That is a class-action settlement, so everyone involved probably got less than a dollar. But the lawyers probably got paid millions each.
I looked up the ram I installed on my build 3 years ago, it’s ddr3, and it costs more now than it did then. How did ddr3 prices get affected by a ddr4 shortage? I’ve heard it’s because people were going back to Z97 Mo-boards to escape ddr4 prices, but lets get real. That would mean no possible upgrade path, no M.2 drives, no usb 3.1. Even if I could save $50 on a new build, I wouldn’t want to give up those features?
I would hope the companies get punished, but only low-level peons get jail time. But I do hope the lawyers also fall off thier new yachts and get eaten by sharks. Fuckers.

1 Like

Guess that factory will burn then :man_shrugging:t2:

If you’re starting from scratch then there is no point you go for the new platform. But if you are like my friend who is on an am3+ you literally shave 200$/EUR if you upgrade to a ddr3 platform. You can go up to haswell or go the more exotic route of the xeon in a consumer mobo.

1 Like

Yeah, I can see that makes sense. I was just getting my daily venting in:)
I’ve been waiting for the real evidence of price-fixing and gouging to come out for a long time now, and it looks like it might happen. Maybe.
When the latest-gen consoles came out recently, alot of people felt suckered and moved up to pc. The build-it-yourself pc market went up, and everyone is cashing in. Not to mention everyone having to upgrade their phones because of planned obsolesence.
And the way things are going, I don’t expect prices to come down much further than they have in the last month. I am hopeful things will be more affordable, at least under the $2500 mark for a decent 4k gaming build. But the realist in me knows we will all smell like burnt vaseline after these companies get done with us.

1 Like

3.5% of the worlds memory production for the month, not year.

4k is still hard to get more than 60 fps in most titles.

I stand corrected:) 3.5% for the month is still crazy. And even so, it’s those little incidents they will use (or cause) to justify their forever higher prices.
I also currently game at 4k with a 970. I just turn off anti aliasing. anything near 60 fps feels great, even if it dips here and there.

Wait does this mean DDR4 16gig sodimms ale gunna be 60 dollars now

Probably happened more than 3 times and they’ve made a profit every time. Hoping the judges will fine them for their increased profit’s is hoping a bit too much. Most judges are still oblivious to tech, not only in general but even more when it’s modern tech

It’ll likely repeat again and again, as long as it works and pays off. The solution could be to follow the trends and timing of the tech market, (which a lot of e-tailers remove, the ability to see what has happened in the past in term of pricing, availability etc.)

If more did follow up on that it would attract more attention to them as they would have to have fixed prices for a longer period as a response and then the attention that would bring would have a higher chance of consequence to these giants

They’ll get a fine of a few 100 mio, whoever helps them in the investigation will go without one (again). But it’s not like they don’t factor this in when they do shit like that :slight_smile:

Well, that is actually a reasonable assumption. If the percentage is really that high is another story.

Sure, they bet everything on a timeframe of 2.5 hours where they would accelerate production by 9000% estimating a total worth of 85% of the world’s DRAM production. Which is where everything went wrong, someone farted near one of the dram machines, which then messed with the machines internals making it spit out the brand-new 970 PRO m.2 NAND drives instead (at a stable price)

Good thing the forum software told me there was already a topic for this.

Found another source with some graphs: https://hothardware.com/news/samsung-hynix-and-micron-dram-class-action-suit-collusion

… and this is the root of the magic of markets and why supply and demand is far and away the least worst solution. Regulation and even punitive oversight is ultimately easily defeated in the long run. People unwilling to buy your stuff or pay a premium for it is ultimately the most effective way to punish bad and reward good.

Not saying there shouldn’t be regulation or punishment for the worst of the worst, but it needs to be done understanding this reality and it isn’t right now.

1 Like