Samsung G9 can't do 240hz with DP 1.4 KVM?

Hey,

I have a Samsung G9 (just bought it) and I have had a level1techs Displayport 1.4 kvm for a few months now. Just tried setting up my G9 with this and have had a terrible time trying to get my monitor to cooperate in 240hz mode. It works perfectly fine in 120hz mode (and 240hz when plugged directly into my RTX 3080).

I’ve tried all sorts of combinations of cables, from 3 ft from G9 to KVM, 6 ft from KVM to PC, all 3 FT, and all 4 FT cables. have tried cables from CableMatters and now these Maxonar cables (they are all VESA certified DP 1.4).

Sometimes my PC doesn’t even think the computer is plugged in, other times it will work for 30-60 seconds and then start flickering and turn off completely.

I am completely lost here. Does anyone have any ideas? My only current solution is to have two cables, one plugged direct into my PC when I want to do 240hz gaming, and the other for just 120hz use for when I want to switch PCs quickly.

Works fine, monitor is just buggy af as youll discover in other scenarios. The faq has some hints and video of it working fine at 240hz. 240hz is actually easier to get working than 120hz in most setups, too, except macs dont properly ha dle dsc and 240hz with thst display. M1 macs anyway.

Pick up some 6.56f fibbr fiber optic dp cables and thatll likely resolve it.

1 Like

I’ll buy 3ft and 6ft FIBBR cables respectively and let you know if it works, thanks for the tip!

Noo if you read the faq people have had trouble with the 3 foot which is why i specified 6.56f.

Its also not good to mix fiber and copper cables if you can help it. The kvm is one long signal corridor so you always get the combined negative properties of both cables.

No length limit with fiber csbles.

The 6.56ft cable on amazon seems to be a different cable then the 3.3 and 6.6ft cable, and it costs $150 (vs. $60). Is this really the cable? It’s also RGB and pictures say it is DP 1.2.

EDIT: directionality of cables matters (oops). will update on how well it works soon

So I am having a fun time (not). Tried both 3 +6 and 6+6ft fibbr cables. For both combinations, my monitor shows up on windows as a secondary display that is disabled. I’m honestly kind of at my wit’s end with this monitor…

I dont know if there is a significant difference between the regular G9 (which I have) and the Neo G9 but all I know is that it’s just not working.

Here’s the conclusion I’ve come to: using Fibbr cables provides better results, but the G9 is still too buggy to get anything with DSC to consistently work. Running in 120hz mode at 8bit, I have no issues.

By consistent I mean more than 10 minutes without the screen going black.

What firmware is on the g9 neo? That matters a lot too. Disable powersave in the menus too.

I had one user report this monitor also acts different with kvm on/off maybe worth trying

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.