Samsung Commiting Suicide with the Galaxy S6?

And you know this because? The phone does not yet even have a serious review, so wait with drawing conclusions about the battery life until those are out.

Samsung's influence is big enough to pull this shit off as far as I concern. Look at how much and how aggressive is their marketing. Now there are people out their seems to be thinking only Samsung make Android phones. We techies have Project Ara, everyone else?

They should make another model with an interchangeable battery, the SD card is enough, I guess. But if that doesn't happen, how 'bout samsung includes at least a small powerbank, since samsung batteries tend to degrade after a few months of use and a few hundred hours of charging.

My S4 decided to soft-brick itself last June, I had to flash a stock image only to find that my bootloader couldn't be unlocked again. For the about 6 months or so I dealt with touchwiz, but then found a ported GPe ROM that could be flashed with Safestrap. It's nowhere near as good as CM, but it's way better than Touchwiz. Never again will I buy a Samsung device (of any sort).

I've been using a Samsung Galaxy S2 since release. I went camping with it a few months ago and it bricked I presume due to water damage as one of the nights we had torrential rain and when I woke up in the morning it would no longer boot.

One of my friends had a spare S2 kicking around that he had replaced the screen on.. Poorly - Although I was still grateful as I didn't have any backup phone. But for the last few months I've been using an S2 that half the screens touch sensors only work when they feel like it, the GPS would only face one direction although still track you and sometimes the wake buttons just wouldn't function. Effectively making me hate the phone I used to love but I knew new phones were just around the corner so I had to wait before purchasing a new phone.

I was counting the minutes down to MWC and when Samsung & HTC announced their phones I was devastated - Mostly by Samsung.

No removable battery, No SD Card slot.. and despite this NOT waterproof! I was willing to accept no removable battery if it had to be done (Although the S5 managed) to be waterproof. Then to put the nail in the coffin they use an even smaller battery than their last two flagships which also had removable batteries!

Hopefully they know something we don't and their battery life isn't as bad as I presume most of us are thinking it is because if it is then there really isn't any reason for me to buy Samsung this time around.

So yeah I feel like they completely missed it with the S6, however that doesn't mean I think it's not going to do well sales wise if I've learnt anything from my years of following tech it's that having the best specs & design isn't always what matters. To me this phone seems a lot like an iPhone and those phones get great sales.. Feels like Samsungs cutting loose their long time followers for a piece of that Apple pie.

We can make assumptions on how it's going to be, they aren't fact. but we can take a guess.
For Example, My Nexus 5 has a 2300mAh battery. on a heavy use day it lasts around 5 to 6 hours. now the Galaxy S6 pushing a 1440p screen with a 2550mAh, it will be at somewhere in THAT margin. or alittle bit similar. which for the most part of today's standards is pretty terrible. most phones now-a-days are giving you 2600mAh to 3500mAH.
the 2600+ mAH is usually to push 1080p screens and the ones ranging from 2800+ mAH is usually to push 1440p screens which some will probably argue that 1440p with 2550mAh is pretty bad as it is. so is it a bad assumption? no. but according to what has been shown that is what we're going to believe till we see it.

Assumptions are the mother of all fuckups. Besides, technology does not stand still. The Nexus 5 is old and the GS6 is brand new.

Agreed, but considering the Galaxy S5 has a bigger battery than the S6, we can expect less. and the S5 is still relatively new.

Well, the S6 has a newer SoC that has to work less hard than the old one in most applications. Also, most content that you use on a smartphone does not take so much effort from the GPU, not even at 1440p. I think it will be just fine, unless you game or watch movies 24/7.

Samsung will soon be better at being Apple than Apple themselves. I guess I'll hang on to my Galaxy S3 with CM12 for another year or two. Upgrading to CM12 (Lollipop) really made it feel like a completely new phone.

I have an HTC m8, and now that I've seen the m9 and s6 I'm leaning towards the s6.
I have an SD card in my phone which I dont use.
Everything about using the sd card is a pita, and all my pictures are on the cloud so if I'm full I just wipe...
I think my usage scenario is characteristic of the majority of users.. People will flock to the s6 for its design and not think twice about the SD card.

Plus I'm thinking 14nm exynos is gonna sway some people, it should have excellent battery life.

If only they'd lose the damn hardware home button.

I came from a lumia with qi charging before my m8, I miss that convenience so much too, making the s6 even more appealing.

Wither you like it or not, Apple is the highest valued company in modern history. Can you blame Samsung for looking at their business model and not trying to follow it?

Tim

@TimmyTechTV
I don't really have any issues with the phone aesthetically or copying Apples Business Model.

My issue is strictly just SD card expansion

32GB is NOT enough for me. and i do not wish to be locked down to 32GBs. and i don't feel like paying samsung an extra $100 bucks for a 64GB model or any company for that matter when i already own an SD card. and for the most part the non-removable battery doesn't really effect me, i never really replaced the batteries on my phones all that much since they usually charge quickly as it is or they lasted me the whole day but others may disagree. but the lack of SD expansion is an issue. For myself, others and maybe you included. and for the record there are other companies that have aesthetically pleasing phones that have SD card expansion. so i cannot comprehend why Samsung removed the option.

i'm going to make a prediction, if they remove the SD card expansion on the Note 5, Samsung is going to have the biggest backlash ever.

I honestly think 1% of people will even notice... sadly they will also be the loudest (Whiny internet people obsess over everything)
How few people who bought any of samsungs phones ever even KNEW there was an SD card, let alone put one in the phone?
Its the minority without a doubt.

I think the exynos processor could do well on battery life despite the size of the battery, it is on 14nm after all.

"Forbes has confirmed that the S6 and S6 Edge will use a Exynos 7 octacore processor with four cores running at 1.5GHz and four at 2.1GHz. These chips are 35% more energy efficient than those in the Galaxy Note 4 and 20% faster."

I decided to stop buying samsung when I realised by GS3 was an overhyped piece of crap. I think oppo, oneplus and htc are the go to brands atm. HTC is getting greedy too however.

@Zareth_DeTullio
I think the better thing to say is, will people who are technologicially ignorant notice the change? and i will argue yes. because i know too many people that use their phones now as their primary music player. and we all know that 32GB is DEFINITELY not enough for music.

They could take a page from One+ book and give the 64gb upgrade for a reasonable price vs $100.

I think its fair to say the technologically ignorant don't notice the change but there are plenty of people out there who know about technology and don't need an SD card.
I have maybe 8gb of music on my phone at a time, its more than I can listen to in any reasonable time frame if I even bother.
I have google play music and I can upload all my music to their servers to listen to any where and pick from anything in their library..
The SD card is useless for apps, the camera doesn't like to take video to it, burst shots wont work either... (HTC M8 atleast)
Mine is empty on my phone.. almost forgot I had it at all.

@Kat Yeah, but even the One+ One didn't have an SD card slot. I feel like manufactures are going to move away from them completely soon.

What to see benchmarking on that thing, it got a 2,1 GHz octa-core after all. What do you guys think?