Same-ish memory spec kits not running in rated frequency

Hello,

My system is a Ryzen 2700X, and mobo is a ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING.

I had a kit of 2x8Gb 3000MHz G.Skill Aegis CL16 ram, and decided to get a Corsair Vengence RGB 16GB 2x8GB 3000MHz C16 Kit.

I would expect them to be able to run at the rated frequency, but I ether cant post, or if I lower the frequecy a bit, I get random frezes (only reset-fixable) while running.

The only spec difference is in timings. GSkill’s has a 16-18-18-38 while Corsair’s has a 16-20-20-38 timings.

Both are rated at 1.35v.

Here is some sudo lshw -C memory :

*-bank:0
      description: DIMM DDR4 Synchronous Unbuffered (Unregistered) 2133 MHz (0.5 ns)
      product: F4-3000C16-8GISB
      vendor: G-Skill
      physical id: 0
      serial: 00000000
      slot: DIMM_B1
      size: 8GiB
      width: 64 bits
      clock: 2133MHz (0.5ns)
 *-bank:1
      description: DIMM DDR4 Synchronous Unbuffered (Unregistered) 2133 MHz (0.5 ns)
      product: CMR16GX4M2D3000C16
      vendor: Corsair
      physical id: 1
      serial: 00000000
      slot: DIMM_B2
      size: 8GiB
      width: 64 bits
      clock: 2133MHz (0.5ns)

banks 2 and 3 are the same, in the same order as 0 and 1.

I tested them in Corsair’s and GSkill’s timing specs, and also with auto timings.

What should I do ?

18%20PM

Seems that Corsair doesnt sell that as 4x 8gb so cant copy timings from that

I take from your answer that, even if I had 4 of those Corsair sticks, they could not work in the advertised timings ?
But the freqeuncy should still be viable, right ?

4 sticks tend to have notch worse timings than 2, and who knows about the frequency

I think that this is good opportunity to learn how to tinker those timings through, and for stress testing your options are memtest, or if you want to do it like this month, you can play Warframe which instantly kills your ram if its wonky

But, start by just setting timings to like um… 20-20-20-40 and even looser if its still not booting, and then just tighten them one by one till something goes wrong, which could be anything really like most of the time I’m noting GPU reseting and driver crashing

1 Like

…or if you want to do it like this month, you can play Warframe which instantly kills your ram if its wonky…

I can second that, Warframe on unstable ram has a tendency to show problems very quickly!

Cant boot with 20-20-20-40, 22-22-22-46, not even 26-26-26-54.

Well yeah two totally different kits with different timings,
i personally would not expect that to work well especially not on Ryzen.
Because Ryzen is pretty picky on memory to begin with.
Sell one of the kits, and buy a same kit of the others would be my advice.
2933mhz should be doalbe on 4 sticks the least.

He’s not running them together, only 2 banks populated, he swapped them.

But anyway, I have similar issues with my Corsair Kit (the 3200 version on Gigabyte Gaming 7 though), which I also posted a topic about (seems noons had a tip tho). It’s weird, because Wendell even got 4 different sticks running at 29something IIRC… and I also read a lot of people running the same kit fine so… yeah, IDK.

Mine is running fine on stock, but randomly crashes and throws a metric shitton of memory errors in memtest…

1 Like

Ah i probablly misread the op then thanks.

Well yeah memory on Ryzen can be a pain in the ass.
Sometimes bios updates improve compatibility and stability.
But still it seems the best to look for samsung B-die kits.

Do this, it could be some cranky sub timing, like just set everything max and if its working just work it out one by one to be beautiful

please be aware that bent pins can also cause memory issues

I accidentally bent one of the pins on my 1700 (back when i had it :D) and it wouldnt run above 2400mhz

it was a miracle it was working at all…

bent pin fixed and boom straight to 2933mhz on all 4 slots, on a 3000mhz kit

just mentioning this in case you are tearing your hair out and have run out of things to try…

You will need to up the voltage to 1.36-1.38V (for stability maybe), it’d be better if you could set different voltages/timing per channel. (not sure ROG b350 board has it.)

also (some boards do it on their own.)

You need to look up their stages, and pick one where they both meet if you want stable option.
(you can use hwtools to see it.)

1 Like

Don’t mix and match memory. That is not even a Ryzen thing, that is just basically a rule of life. :wink:

Try both kits on their own, keep the one that works better, get another one of those, sell the other one.

1 Like

Actually sorry, appears I wasn’t looking properly. his banks 0 and 1 clearly show 2 different products, mybad.

1 Like