Sad Day - intel-kills-optane-memory-business-for-good

In typical consumer use I haven’t even killed the Intel SSD 310 80GB MSATA drive (From 2011) in my ancient W520 Thinkpad (HD Sentinel says it has 84% life left), like hell I’m gonna kill the used enterprise drives that have +99% of their life left. Which is exactly why I buy them.

And I’m actually way off on my numbers,

They are actually quoted as being 10 drive writes per day, for 5 years

So 8TB of writes per day, for 1 year is 2920TB, and x5 is 14,600TB, or 14.6PB

Good old MLC. Basically unbreakable. I have a 120GB consumer drive with MLC that won’t die no matter how hard I try. That’s why TLC and QLC have such a bad reputation.

Modern remnants of the MLC age still are rated for 60 DWPD. With way less capacity than TLC and probably worse performance. But your average consumer could use this in a DIMM slot and be fine with it.

1 Like

The big problem with going TLC is sequential write across the full length of the disk is a quarter of the max possible performance.

So you get graphs like this:

The fastest I’ve seen full drive write from Micron 3D TLC is 2GB/s from the FireCuda 530. But this write performance should be the constant on a cheaper PCI-E 3.0 only drive. The MLC 970 Pro is still faster.

For most normies this simply doesn’t matter.

Most end user workloads are not write heavy.

It’s typically do large writes for application install, and 80% plus is read.
Video editing (as a common consumer workload) excepted, but even that “common” consumer workload is maybe 1-5% of the consumer userbase and a smaller fraction of that are doing anything above 1080p which requires large amounts of high speed write.

Almost all home users won’t out run SATA SSD for their workload.

Check out Micron 7400/7450 Max, rated for 5.6GB/s depending on size. You can get good write speeds if you need it and pay the price

Hoping it’s compatible with the Blackmagic Hyperdeck Extreme 4K and 8K.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/hyperdeckextreme

Edit: Unfortunately in M.2 factor that only goes up to a max of 2.2GB/s. You’d have to jerry rig a M.2 to Slim SAS to U.2 adapter to get the most speed out of it.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.