Sabayon 14: the Ferrari of the linux world

Windows yes, Adding to that he uses Symantec, so yeah may aswell ask to be hacked, If I was to use any AV on windows it would be F-Secure and Malwarebytes, but meh I aint on windows ;)

Also I have not seen or encountered Cryptolock, I know its a 2 phase locking system, which although hard to break is not impossible, Nothing is impossible, I would not attempt a bruteforce method, take forever and if an attack is detected they can change the code at will, I would love a VM to test.

But my concern was with the fact is it an .exe file or a .docx, although this does not mean Linux can run, as the files needed are not there, but I was unsure, But I do agree with what you say, It is a dangerous threat, but I guess MS cant keep up with demand.

(Zoltan) I wouldn't call him a dumb ass, he knows stuff, just not as technical as us, Although we are not perfect to, But he does under-estimate Linux, half of the people I know do, I said this "If Cryptolock does come to Linux for one it cannot run, secondly if it was ported and executed, it would be patched in a day tops" to which he replied "Would not matter, Once your files are encrypted that's it, Your files are lost if you do not pay", Which is a valid point, But surely a Kernel patch would be able to solve something.

The guy is no expert in Security, same for me, But I do know that someone skilled enough with Kali/BTL could attempt an attack on the malware, or reverse engineer it.

And I agree with how crap Symantec, Why cant Clam just make an FOS suite? be so much easier for people, and would crush most others.

And the way to protect windows is this, DO NOT USE IT! ;) 

so i tried installing sabayon on my kaveri build and it failed, something about not reconizing the gpu which makes sense since it's pretty new. made another install usb just to make sure. if not im gona try another distro.

If you install in safe mode, it will work flawlessly. The live install iso is based on a older LTS kernel to prevent some problems, you have to install in safe mode and then update.

cool. i'l try that, i really like sabayon. should be great as a htpc os with steam big picture.

Im going to put this in a virtual machine and see how I like it first.

I'm an old Gentoo user (via Sabayon:), and I use IceWM  don't like bloated stuff as well as pre-configured distros

sabayon in safe mode was a no go for the kaveri build :\

what did it say was going wrong?

Hmm... I tried to install Sabayon, but no dice. It just freezes in the middle of boot.

Then again, I haven't had official success in getting Gentoo to install either (processor problem, I'll try again soon), but I imagine the installation and simple booting of the liveusb to be a bit different?

Well, I guess not everyone can afford a Ferrari :P

sabayon why!??! for some reason the update is broken, so i've tried it several times. after every successful install i try to run the 700 updates (takes a fucking while) and it always renders a black screen for me in the end. and i'd have to do a reinstall.

I've been using Mint for a few weeks now, but I've been sticking my head out into the non-debian world to see what's up.  Started on Ubuntu in '04, I've spent time on Debian, Mint, and a little bit in Arch.  I was about to download Manjaro and give it a try, but you've just convinced me to shelf that and try Sabayon.

@zoltan what are the performance benefits of gentoo over arch you're talking about? I've been using arch for a little over six months, and gentoo for like two.

I'm having similar problems, on both Gnome & KDE versions, I can get to the options screen (Start, Install, Check Disc for errors etc) as soon as I hit Enter, it gets to "local host/domain" dialogue and that's it will not go any further

interesting information Zoltan thanks!

Building packages from source means your programs are custom-made for your system. Since Gentoo installs and updates packages from source, you can expect slightly better performance compared to binary-built packages. But there is more to it than just packages. The kernel will also affect performance both on run-time performance and compilation.

Yeah there used to be a bigger performance benefit to Gentoo back in the day, but many Gentoo tweaks were merged, as it should be in open source development. There is still a difference if you do everything right though, if you compile your own kernel, compile all of your software, basically what Gentoo was made to do. Arch has ABS, which also makes compiling easy, but the benefit is not as great as in Gentoo. Custom compiling systems is enthusiast stuff though, if you've been using Arch and Gentoo for resp. 6 and 2 months, that's probably very little experience to really get the most out of any linux distro.

*Sigh*, downloaded the Gnome & KDE versions twice, both 64 bit, alas it will not run off the live CD let alone install (off Disc and USB boot), at one point managed to install through safe mode, did not install.

Thinking of installing Gentoo to confuse the installer into actually installing the damn thing, otherwise I'm staying on Mint

Just like to ask zoltan, you talk about the dostro compiling which leads to the system been more one with the hardware, but when I install will it install a generic kernel or actually focus on my hardware, I presume it will install a generic, just wanted to know :)

Well that was weird, after multiple attempts (and cussing) Sabayon has now decided to play nice and install