S7150x2 Cooling in a Desktop (air)

Hey fellow L1 peeps. First post here, but will try to keep in line with the rules.

I had a S7150x2 delivered from eBay and put it into my PC (Asus WS Pro X570; I LOVE this board!). I got it working just fine at x8, and with the help of a forked gim branch (Proxmox 6.3 with kernel 5.4), got the basics up and running. However I keep running into problems with the temps. The GPU reaches 100C on both GPU cores and stops working.

To alleviate the issue I tried attaching two Noctua 40x20 fans. This elongated the heating time enough to get the modules built and loaded. By the time I could do anything meaningful, the temps were up there again.

I don’t want to look at liquid cooling since I’m paranoid about issues like permeation, leaks, and pump failures. Fans are just plain reliable in my rat maze of a brain. Since PC towers (in my case a Phanteks Evolv X) don’t push the same amount of air as servers, I can’t find a way to cool my GPU. Does anybody here have any bright ideas on how to cool this GPU without attaching a jet engine into my rig?

Just for context, I used a Y splitter cable from my AIO pump header and had the fans at 5K RPM. I also had my case fans (Corsair LL120) at full speed, but all to no avail. The Noctua fans were zip ties to the grill outside the case to pull air through the case. I had no space to attach to from the rear of the card. I have three front fans and three top fans as intakes. The seventh rear fan is exhaust. Attached a pic for context, not the final install form.

Thanks folks!

1 Like

I don’t think that without one of these you’re gonna manage to keep that card cool enough:

Wendell 3D printed a bracket to mount one of these type of fans to his Tesla V100s and I guess it worked because I’ve seen him pull those out in some videos and running.

2 Likes

Gonn’ need more aggressive fan(s) setup, esp. since its a dual GPU board. If you have access to a 3d printer, you can come across some shroud layouts, that use a server / high rev fan

Yeah, you will need more than that.

Depending on how good you are with cardboard and duct tape, you could make adapters to pipe 80mm fans into (and out of) the GPU.

A pair of Sunon EE80251B1-0 in push-pull might be enough.

I have a Sunon MEC0381V1 in my DIY solder fume extractor, and the thing is somewhat frightening. Video of me playing about with it while making the box it sits in now.

1 Like

Hi can you post a detailed walk through how you set this up please I have a s7150 8gb version . I am a NUBE to Linux and I cannot find a easy walk through to get this to work?

Hey fellas, thanks a lot for all your comments. In the end I got a cooling bracket and fan combo from gpumods (google them). The fan plugged into a PWM header and boom I’m gold. Sadly I still had issues with getting it to work and haven’t touched it since. Might look into it again down the road. Cheers!

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.