Ryzen Workstation and Gaming rig

I am planing on upgrading my current rig: 4700K OC, 32gb of ram, rx 480 4gb xfx, asus z87-pro, 1tb hdd and with a custom waterlop.

parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8jDp3b

I use mainly, autodesk maya, mudbox, zbrush, mari, lightroom, photoshop and adobe premier. I render 3d art for projects, general photo and video editing.

For gaming I have a 60hz screen 1080p. Maybe in the future I will uppgrade to a higher rez one but so far it is not a priority.

So my question is: What ram should I use to get most out of my build? Should I stick with the 2600x or get a 2700x instead? For gaming should I add another rx480 or is the gain in fps minimal?
This project falls somewhere in between a over the top buildish and a senible build.

And lastly I’ll ofc post pics of the build when it gets underway ^^

For gaming without anything else, the 2600X is the sweetspot right now. You have enough threads to play anything coming out over the next couple years, easily. Personally I think it is worth to pay 100,- extra to go with the 2700X because you are getting around 35% more potential performance to do other things simultaneously. Looking at the price of the part alone that seems like a bad deal but in overall system cost it is a no-brainer.

I think the 2000 series Ryzen chips might actually be similar in longevity to team-blue’s 2000 series. It is a typical second generation, the real problems of the platform are pretty much fixed and 8/16 is the new 4/8. So until all the software and games are actually using massive amounts of cores, you’re pretty much set.

For games to run as fast as possible on Ryzen you want high frequency, low latency memory. I would still say 3200MHz CL14 Samsung B-Die is the way to go. It is pricey but I am pretty sure that you will be able to buy a second pair of those sticks for quite a while.

Now… your choice of board is of course of the highest quality you can get for the platform. But unless you really plan on crazy overclocking it is not necessary. I would argue that you might benefit more from a 10Gbit network connection than from the almost stupidly overbuilt VRM on the Asus. You are using lots of media stuff, you either have a NAS already or you probably should get something like that as a backup solution.

I am running the ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate and it is a great board so far. It has no problem running a 2700X balls to the wall for as long as you want, it is quite a bit cheaper than the CH VII and it has 10Gbit LAN built in. I can easily recommend that board. In fact I have two.

Crossfire is a waste in my mind. Any kind of dual or multi GPU is a compromise at best. Invest more into the core components for now and when you really need a new GPU, then buy the fastest thing you can afford.

1 Like

Depends on the games you play. I would recommend looking at benchmarks for the specific games you play.

since your going to be rendering and video editing I would go with the 2700x since its 8 cores 16 threads so you have alot of headroom so you can do a fair amount at the same time
for the GPU I would stay with just the one since crossfire doesnt always work and if it does it might not work that well so the extra cost of buying another GPU will goto waste unless you use linux as your main OS and use a KVM to play games in windows

I don’t game or overclock so take my opinion with a pinch of salt. I have watched a bunch of youtube saying crossfire too often just doesn’t work or is slower. I would combine the money and buy one faster card.

As for the processor, gen 2 ryzen should drop in April. I decided to go with the 2600 non-x for the low price and wait for the gen 2 goodness. I figure 16 cores for $500. We’ll see.