[DONE (again)] Ryzen vs. U̶b̶u̶n̶t̶u̶ F̶E̶D̶O̶R̶A̶ Ubuntu

If you're having this level of trouble there's a hardware issue.

Are you using a new proper PSU or some old junker? I assume/hope it's a new one.
There's been quite some issue with people running Ryzen boards with old unstable PSU's getting no posts/severe instability.

I also assume it's not overclocked or anything.
As a last resort try running windows off a USB or something, if that doesn't work you have certainly got hardware issues.

As for this:

You can try setting your CPU to something like 2.2Ghz at 0.9V fixed and see if it's stable then. It might be XFR or other power related issues causing that problem. Using a low fixed clockspeed without CPU scaling should prevent that.

suppose i could try that. :confused:

375.66 (i have a 1050 ti)

1) already most current
2) i do NOT consider this a "fix"
3) will try

thanks!

brand new evga 850 g3

it was, and i returned it to stock settings when these troubles began. hasn't seen an improvement, though.

well, as above, I would not consider this a "fix." if this "worked," then i would consider the cpu "broken." completely stable on all cores, with all features, at an absolute minimum of stock speeds or it's fucking broken.

Thanks for all the input, guys. Will be trying out these suggestions tonight.

:smiley:

There's been an odd BIOS bug with Ryzen boards, atleast in the early versions.
Did you recently try a full Clear CMOS and unplug the system?
I found that sometimes on early ASRock boards the overclock voltages got 'stuck' when trying to revert to default settings normally and would cause some weird behaviour. Don't know if MSI also had that issue.

Personally I'm using an ASRock X370 Gaming K4 with Ryzen 1700X 3.8Ghz P-State OC and 4Dimms of 32Gb at 2666Mhz right now.
All under Arch Linux without any issues. Only getting kernel 4.11 for the ALC1220 sound chipset was a bit annoying.

no. will try that tonight. the board reports the expected (stock) voltages/clock speed, though. and when i was working on the overclock, those numbers updated as expected with each change.

tried pulling the cmos battery, tried putting in an AMD gpu. no change.

tried windows 10; it was not even able to start. BSOD:
- internal power error
- kmode exception not handled
- unexpected kernel mode trap
- system thread exception not handled

…and after researching these a bit, seems it might be due to bad AMD graphics drivers in windows. so i guess I'll switch out the card again and try with the 1050 ti.

: /

How are you getting on with this?

Yesterday I found leaving "firefox" idle for a couple of minutes (without any web page loaded) would hard-lock my Ryzen 7 1800x system in Slackware Linux-current, with 4.10.15 kernel. My system has a RX480 GPU installed.

It'll sit idle for ever without firefox running, and will sit idle with Konqueror running. Seems to be just firefox.

[I've "fixed" it today by trying to install the AMDGPU-PRO driver (which failed), and then removing it. Because of how Slackware works, this should have left a broken graphics stack. The expectation is one should re-install all the dependant packages (X, mesa, etc) - but I haven't, and it's working for now...]

There are a few reports out there of idle lockups / hangs on Ryzen.

k, update:

turns out my issues * may * (fingers crossed) have been purely physical (mechanical?). apparently, there was a glob of thermal paste which squeezed out from under the cpu cooler and eventually worked its way into the socket. my last resort was the take it apart, and that's what I found. :confounded:

I HATE PGA CPUs.

I cleaned the cpu and the socket repeatedly for three days. then I waited another two days to see if I came to realize anything else idiotic I might have done. then I put it back together.

so, again, fingers crossed. but it seems stable now. I have the overclock applied again, and the GTX 1050 ti is running fine. back to ubuntu 16.04, with the kernel upgraded to 4.10. still only the nvme drive installed for now.

I ran stress-ng for 6 hours earlier, along with glmark2 and heaven. currently, started up stress-ng again and left it to run overnight with chrome and firefox open doing various things (did you know there's a ten-hour nyan cat video on youtube?).

will report again tomorrow night. wish me luck!

3 Likes

Thats just ubuntu dude.

1 Like

sleeping / hibernating is not working. doesn't wake form hibernation; wakes from sleep but windows have huge semi-transparent white border around them :frowning:

upgrading ubuntu to 4.11 broke very badly (boots, but won't log in successfully).

trying fedora 26 again, and maybe arch.

all RIGHT; Fedora 26 with new latest nvidia driver (381.22) is working, seems stable, AND sleeps!
AND wakes up again with no apparent issues!

for some reason, the fedora installer made a swap partition only half the size of my ram, so that's what i'll fix tomorrow and see if i can get hibernate working. then start installing programs and maybe by the end of the week i'll try doing work on it.

1 Like

You the man dude.

I was all ready to declare this build a success…

Then i tried to replace the side panel. :unamused:

I'm re-using the case and cpu cooler (hyper 212 evo) from my previous machine. However, it seems that a Ryzen motherboard + AM4 socket + CPU is roughly 8-12mm taller than my previous, Haswell-based "stack" (pun intended).

The case side panel hits the tops of the 212's heatpipes.

» sigh «

I am calling it DONE (for now).
Thanks, everyone, for the support and suggestions!

2 Likes

That's beautiful. I'm happy you got that triple monitor setup going. Gives me hope for my upgrade build/rebuild. F26 although being a Alpha build could have bugs, but report back with your experience.

1 Like

main thing to work through right now is disks.

fedora uses LVM, which I am not terribly familiar/comfortable with. I've been trying to add a few disks, but everything I can find is focused on adding drives to a volume: this is exactly not what I want. I want the new drives to have specific paths, so they're clearly segregated from the boot drive. This is both for performance reasons (i.e., these SSDs are much slower than my nvme drive, so I want to keep certain files in certain places), and also because I need to be able to just unmount and physically remove the drives and take them out with me, from time to time.

normally, I'd just add entries for them in fstab. but this seems to cause breakage with LVM.

: (

Why did you choose LVM, I just use 'Standard Partition' for configuring my Hard disk. You can make those changes if you choose Configure my Own disk before install. Im on F25. I know there is a way around your issue though

everyone said it would be easier?
TBH I wasn't really focused on that, at the time. I just let Fedora install, mostly with whatever defaults it wanted. I may re-install, but that's probably not going to be for a while; I want to get things ironed out first. I want to use this machine. :slight_smile:

This is nutso. Just having disks connected at boot is breaking things. If i disconnect them (e.g., unplug the sata power cable) everything's fine. If any or all are connected, I get the fedora logo, but it eventually hangs or drops me into emergency mode.

: (

Maybe I'll have to try re-installing sooner than I thought.

down the rabbithole I go again... although I havent used fedora recently as I'm on a 2011 macbook and all kernels that are available to me on it dont work with wifi. I'll give this a go and hope for the best.

When I first installed f25 with kernel 4.8 it was a royal mess with AMDGPU. But a sudo dnf update got it in a good good space with the kernel 4.10 versions and I'm still fedora myself.

Ryzen well asus motherboards. I been killing them.. No idea why.

1 Like