Ryzen Undervolting - BIOS or Ryzen Master?

Hello everyone! Just like I’ve hinted a couple of times here I just put together an “SFF” Ryzen 7 3700X build and after some stock running I decided that I really need some undervolting to keep lower temps.

I’ve been scavanging the internet for “Ryzen undervolting” but I’ve found many conflicting informations so I’m turning to the best and kindest people I know, you!

This is a graph of temps and voltage (I’ve only included Core 0 for per-core voltage to not clutter the plot) while using Chrome, watching some video and jumping on different tabs from time to time with an ambient temp of around 25-26°C.

While playing WoT I recorded just the max temps of both 74°C on the CPU and GPU. I didn’t want to stress test anything because I’m kinda afraid of what might happen. So I wanted to lower voltage and sacrifice a bit of clocks before doing some stress testing.

Offset voltage won’t help the situation much because it just takes out the amount selected from the whole voltage curve so probably taking out -0.05V would be the maximum I can reduce it.
There is a way to reduce the peak voltage in BIOS without fixing the voltage to a set amount?
Is it worth using Rzyen Master over setting things in BIOS? I’ve seen in there the option to set just the peak voltage but I want to avoid software whenever possible.

Thanks!

P.S. what’s the temperature that matters between the three that I’ve logged in the graph?

Use the BIOS with offset voltage, it’s fine.
Your temps are also totally fine btw… Nothing alarming to see.

2 Likes

The temps look just fine to me ,and the ryzens draws more voltage by design so undervolting might not be the best of ideas. i suspect there are losses due to the design being chiplet style.
from what i gather around 80c is where the ryzen cpu starts to down clock .
only thing i would tweak with is fans curves if it gets too bothersome.

1 Like

@Hako I was just asking because I’ve always used Intel systems that don’t have peak temps like those during general use.
Offset will lower the whole voltage curve, right?

@Tanmay That has been done already. I’ve set a static fan curve to compensate for the momentary spikes in temps and when the temps stay above the curve goes up.
I never reached 80°C during games. Cranking all the fans to 100% the temps during games are in the 60°C so completly fine.

Yes offset will lower the whole voltage curve, you could also set a lower LLC.
You can just start by setting a low - offset and then increase it more and see what your clocks are and temps are and then repeat until you find something that got you where you want ti ot be. At one point though it may get unstable if it’s too low, if that’s the case just decrease the offset and you know where the limit is.

1 Like

I already tried this method when I was trying to undervolt my 4790K but I couldn’t basically undervolt it because the boot voltage was too low. I think it would happen the same if I do it in this case. The lower voltage is 0.96V more or less so it’s pretty low already.

I’ll try lowering the LLC by a tad.

On zen 2 if you undervolt it lowers performance
on zen and Zen+ you can undervolt

So if temps are not getting into the 80+ °C range I should just let it be?

On gaming load I’m around 1.36V, 74°C and 4.2GHz, which I assume is completly safe being all auto-managed by the motherboard, right?

P.S. after three passes of Cinebench R20 it was getting into the 90°C range with a 26°C ambient. That’s not good lol

Cinebench R20 is an unrealistic expectation of power draw and temperature unless you use cinema 4D or other rendering software

Have you tried turning fan profiles to be more aggressive or considered a more substantial heatsink?

More fans, bigger fans or even the placement of fans could net you a couple degrees

What case are you using and what configuration are your fans in

1 Like

I’m using a Noctua NH-L9x65 in a Silverstone RVZ03-ARGB. Also the motherboard (Asus Crosshair VIII Impact) limited me even further on the CPU cooler choice.

Nope, I’ll not use those kind of softwares.

When I game I set the CPU fan around 90% and the case fans to 100% fixed. That keeps it around the 70°C mark or sometimes lower.

The only thing I can do and I’m thinking of doing is swapping the Silverstone fans for some Noctua 15mm thick fans.

In this thread in the comments this guy has a 2080 and a 3700x with a big shuriken 3

Do you have a monitor that’s higher than 60hz, enable vsync if you don’t, this will stop the CPU and GPU from generating frames you won’t see and keep it cooler

Maybe I can swap the cooler but I don’t think it would fit on my motherboard.

I’ve set my 3950X at 1.32V in BIOS. The auto voltage behavior makes no sense to me. The CPU gets 10C hotter with auto vcore at mild load, without any performance increase. :man_shrugging:

You mean static voltage?

You might want to check this video out

You’re causing clock stretching

I didn’t touch any voltage yet. Did some more testing and OCCT small data set no AVX puts me at 85-86°C which is fine since I think OCCT is an unrealistic load.

I’ll watch the video thou, I totally missed it!

Why not just use ‘eco mode’ with the Ryzen Master utility?

Probably a lot less effort for very similar results.

Aren’t the Windows profiles the same thing? They’re even named the same.

I’m not sure - this is what I’m referring to:

I tried to have a look on my 3950x but unfortunately Ryzen master won’t run on Server 2019.

Thanks, I really appreciate you trying to install Ryzen Master on your system. And you really gave me a pretty good idea. I’ll try it out, get some Cinebench scores and see what are the differences.

Also I did some more testing and what wrecks my cooling are AVX instructions. If I don’t use programs that make intense use of them I’m good. A little warm, but still better than a laptop lol