Ryzen + RAM Question

Hello,
I am building a 3D modeling rig.
I watched Wendell’s video on how to build 3D modeling workstation with Ryzen and I noticed he said that Ryzen really benefits from higher clocked ram (up to 3200MHz). So I want to get that.
But I also want to get tight timings as well.

So I have two options as far as I know:

1. GSkill Trident Z for AMD - CL14-14-14-34 @ 3200MHz, 2x8GB DDR4 (16GB)
    or
  2. GSkill Trident Z for AMD - CL14-14-14-34 @ 3200MHz, 4x8GB DDR4 (32GB)

All other combinations either have worse timings or worse speeds.

Now I would really prefer to get 32GB, but 2x16GB kits don’t have good timings at that speed,
but at the same time I feel that using 4 sticks on a CPU that doesn’t support Quad Channel (Ryzen 2700X), might be sub-optimal.
Plus aren’t 4 sticks less stable than 2? Lower chance of XMP success?

I could always get a 2x16 @ 2933MHz at those timings and hope it will go up to 3200,
or 2x16 @ 3200MHz and hope I will be able to decrease timings but that’s a bit risky since RAM manufacturers tend to already squeeze out whatever is possible from their sticks.

What do you think I should do?

2X16GB can work at 3200 and 14-14-14-34, though it might depend on the motherboard etc. See this thread: 16GB RAM modules on X470

2 Likes

Best practice would be follow the QVL. I’m running a 1700X with 32GB (4x8) on X370 at 3000MHz with tighter timings, and they are not on the QVL for my board, but YMMV of course.

When in doubt, QVL is the best bet. 2000 series and X470 should have significantly better results over first gen.

1 Like

According to the topic you gave me this kit - F4-3200C14D-32GTZ (2x16GB, 3200, 14-14-14-34) seems to fit all criteria, but when you go to G.Skill website it’s not part of their “for AMD” product line. Could that be a problem?

@Steinwerks
I will be using the Crosshair Hero VII X470 - not sure what QVL is.

You should be fine for getting 3200, I am on x470 with a 1800x and the speed achieved was 3200 for my 3200 kit. On x370 all I was able to achieve was 2933.

You can find the QVL here (bottom download):

It will list all the kits that have been validated to work and at which speed and configuration. This doesn’t mean others won’t work, but they won’t be guaranteed like the list is.

Edit: looks like they haven’t qualified anything at 3200MHz and 32GB at all, so yes, if you can verify Samsung B-die (pretty much anything 3200 with tight timings is B-die) then go for that option.

1 Like

The problem is the QVLs often don’t include much in terms of 16GB modules. And almost never at 3200 MT/s.

I’m using the Crosshair VII Hero WIFI (X470). 3200 seems to work just by selecting the DOCP profile. I did some stability testing and so far so good.

Trouble is you won’t find as much info on settings for 16GB modules vs 8GB modules since fewer people are using them. But if you’re not trying to overclock much higher and/or aim for the “best” timings, 3200 14-14-14-14-34 seems to work fine. There are a few threads on the ROG forum where people shared their 16GB module RAM settings. That could help too.

1 Like

One more thing, I was pretty focused on the QVL initially, then came across this post by The Stilt:

You can (and should) wipe your ass with the QVL list.
Most of the DRAM manufacturers change the ICs used in the modules between the batches (i.e. use whatever meets the specs and is the cheapest / most convinient at the time), which renders the QVL useless anyway.

http://www.overclock.net/forum/11-amd-motherboards/1630244-newegg-hero-vi-combo-has-corsair-ram.html#post26122745

1 Like

Yes this happens. When I went from 16GB to 32GB I basically had to hope I got the same version of the same kit I bought the first go-round. I did, luckily, and even though I went to eBay first, no seller would check for me. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

That’s why I wanted to buy a “For AMD” G.Skill kit.
They are probably using some Samsung chips which are known to work fine with Ryzen.

If you don’t follow QVL with Ryzen you won’t get rated speeds anyways. Ryzen doesn’t play well with many memory chips always follow QVL for Ryzen based systems, Intel you can generally get away with running whatever but not Ryzen. I work as a system integrator and every time I have issues with a Ryzen system it’s because a customer was too stubborn to follow the QVL when sales told them to. if you get a 3200 kit that’s not QVL don’t expect to pass 3000 mhz.

By all accounts, Samsung B-die is the one to get with Ryzen. My understanding is that Samsung B-die = Samsung B-die, regardless of whether the marketing says “For AMD” or not. Overclockers seem not to have seen any difference between them anyways. And 16GB 3200 @ CL14 = Samsung B-die.

One advantage of sticking to QVL is it makes it easier to deal with support/RMA. I had issues with my C7H and Asus support asked for my memory model. They mentioned it’s not on the QVL, but when I said I had done extensive memory tests with no errors, they let it go and said then it’s likely the board is faulty. YMMV. Details at Asus Crosshair VII Hero WiFi VS Asrock X470 Taichi But again, you might not find any 2X16GB at 3200 on QVL.

1 Like

That doesn’t make too much sense considering there are no 3200 or even 3000 on ASUS’ flagship X470 motherboard QVL. People are reporting 3000 and 3200MHz success all the time with it.

I’m just stating my factual experience make sense to you or not. at the end of the day it’s your choice but I wouldn’t fuck with it. if you insist though stick with b-die. stick with complete kits to raise your chances don’t get them individually.

It makes sense in that manufacturers haven’t tested more modules. And 3200 is considered OC which nobody guarantees. But again, if modules’ IC can change for the same model, the point of QVLs is moot.

Following the rules, whether they make sense or not, just makes it easier to deal with legalistic manufacturers if something goes wrong.

Not sure whether this is off topic or not, but if someone just wanted to build a Ryzen system and shove ram in it without having to wank about with timings or whatever, which ram would they go for?

1 Like