Ryzen Pre-Week 25 fabrication RMA issue

It takes a while.

It’s always a good idea to start sooner rather than later.

1 Like

I intent to. Even though I don’t have any problems now, I’d rather RMA my CPU while I still can, before I’m facing any issues.
That being said, is there some kind of a date up until RMAs of this kind are accepted? Or does it void when the warranty expires?

I specifically cited this issue, and my batch number, and the RMA was approved “just like that.” Also, my replacement was shipped as soon as I dropped off the box and gave them the FedEx tracking number (or so I was told).

However, from what I understand, none of this is “official.” Not sure the if even the defect itself is “official.”

You’d probably have a much harder time of it if you waited so long. Personally, I’d return it now; but up to you to decide if you’d rather leave well-enough alone.

1 Like

You need to test it. You cannot know if yours is or is not affected without testing it. Instructions for testing are available, just scroll up.

It appears to be a significant number of defective chips were shipped but there are a lot of chips that do not have the issue.

1 Like

Hmm I will have to try that on mine. I gave up after 8-10 hours

I’m aware of that, besides I wouldn’t want to replace a working CPU :wink:

I tried to, but as it turns out there might be some problems

Edit: You mentioned something about testing it in a VM. Is it enough to download and install Fedora 26 in VirtualBox, grant the guest all cores, and run the above test?

I had something like that once, too. But I was testing out settings for CPU and memory so I just thought whatever and hit reset. Never saw it again but it might be an indicator… maybe?

Thought I’d ask the obvious question here, since I read somewhere that Threadripper is based on multiple 1800X cores ‘glued’ together ( I may be tad off there) - in any case, has anyone tried similar testing on the 1920X/1950X?

Clarification At least what I meant to say was, has anyone seen seg-faults in TR, similar to this - irrespective of fabrication date?

Well, I didn’t really change anything to begin with, except enabling virtualisation support (SMD? something like that?). I don’t know why ASRock keeps disabling it, I need to enable it after every BIOS update.

My problem might be non-QVL RAM though…

From the phoronix article linked by the OP:

AMD has confirmed this issue doesn’t affect EPYC or Threadripper processors […]

1 Like

Interesting… Cheers @pFtpr

Oh, yeah, been there. xD

Which RAM do you have now? I have two Crucuial 16GB 2400 sticks. I picked them up on Amazon when they were on discount and to be honest, I’ve gotten used to 32GB RAM :smiley: QVL 32GB RAM seems to be pretty expensive though…

I am running 32GB (4x8) G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 16, 16, 16, 16, 36 @2933MHz.
Got that kit on a deal for 240,- Euro incl. tax and shipping. :stuck_out_tongue:

[EDIT] Ah, I knew I had that somewhere. This is the exact name of the kit:

F4-3200C16Q-32GVK

1 Like

I did VMware Workstation + latest virtual hardware version + Ubuntu 17.04. I can’t confirm VirtualBox will work, but it might. Worth a shot at least if Linux doesn’t work natively.

Edit:

Just shipped my CPU to AMD as an RMA using the provided FedEx label. Thursday Night…

Florida has mandatory evacuations going on due to Hurricane Irma (which is wider than the entire state).

Somehow… I don’t think Miami is a good place to ship things to right now…

FYI: USA RMA’s are being sent To Miami but replacements are being shipped From other places, Ontario, Netherlands.

Today I was able to boot into Fedora and there seems to be a default Fedora support, so we don’t need these additional changes above anymore.
That being said, my USB thumb drive was read-only, apparently Fedora’s media creator doesn’t create a writeable drive, which is why I wasn’t able to run this script. When I re-created the a Live USB stick using Rufus I had the mce boot error again.

Hey,

I was able to confirm the issue using Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS in VirtualBox on Windows 10 Pro x64 as a host. Exactly the same behaviour as described with a “natively” booted Linux.

You can get around the ramdisk limitations by using “2 8” as the parameters for kill-ryzen.

I’m in contact with AMD for a replacement as we speak.

1 Like

I’m assuming that what you are saying is that you tested with a Ubuntu 16.04 Guest OS in a Virtual Machine on a Windows Host?

Exactly

Got another 1600X and will test it now. It is a 1723 though…