Ryzen platform questions

Might have to push the voltage a bit on the doc and or the memory a smidge on boot but should be easily done with trident z memory. Even dual rank or 4x sticks

first off WHY 64 gb? what are you doing with all that memory or is it a BIC (because I can) thing..?

Second off did AMD fix the issue that their memory controllers had with additional voltage and heat stability.. the IMC was weak on their chips before

Unsure on the second question. First question compiling code, vm's and ram drive. I had 16GB. Now I see usage over 40GB even when just compiling Code.it's useful

2 Likes

that is totally a legit use. I was just curious

2 Likes

3200mhz is more then enough.
Anything above that pretty much gives you deminising returns.
I would rather set 3200mhz with some nice tight timings,
then 3600+ with crappy timmings, because that doesnt make much sense tbh.

1 Like

Since @wendell mentioned in a video on Ryzen that the platform does support ECC memory, what would be a good recommendation there? Or what memory was confirmed to be working in ECC mode?

Edit: Also, do most boards support ECC in general or do I need to look for a specific one to get ECC memory to work? So far I have only seen things like "operates only in non-ECC mode".

1 Like

all the reviews I mention if ecc works, or doesn't. So far very few boards enable ECC.

I am using the kingston 16gb x2 kit that is ECC DDR4-2400 and it works fine @2400

2 Likes

Is it the KVR24E15D8/16?

1 Like

I can confirm the Crucial CT2K16G4WFD824A 32GB kit (2 x 16GB sticks with ECC @ 2400 MHz, dual rank) posts and appears to enable ECC in the ASRock X370 Taichi with a Ryzen 1800x. I haven't tried overclocking (not really my thing - this is a workstation for stability).

@wendell - JFYI - Some more Ryzen compatible ECC memory.

2 Likes

How did you verify it?

kernel.org kernel 4.10.15 reports "DRAM ECC enabled", as below:

root@deepthought:~# dmesg | egrep -i "edac|mce"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
[    0.008986] mce: CPU supports 23 MCE banks                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
[    0.301735] MCE: In-kernel MCE decoding enabled.                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
[    8.828046] EDAC MC: Ver: 3.0.0                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
[    8.828904] EDAC amd64: DRAM ECC enabled.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
[    8.828911] EDAC amd64: F17h detected (node 0).                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
[    8.828951] EDAC MC: UMC0 chip selects:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
[    8.828952] EDAC amd64: MC: 0:     0MB 1:     0MB                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
[    8.828956] EDAC amd64: MC: 2:     0MB 3:     0MB                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
[    8.828964] EDAC amd64: MC: 4:     0MB 5:     0MB                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
[    8.828968] EDAC amd64: MC: 6:     0MB 7:     0MB                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
[    8.828974] EDAC MC: UMC1 chip selects:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
[    8.828974] EDAC amd64: MC: 0:     0MB 1:     0MB                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
[    8.828978] EDAC amd64: MC: 2:     0MB 3:     0MB                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
[    8.828982] EDAC amd64: MC: 4:     0MB 5:     0MB                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
[    8.828993] EDAC amd64: MC: 6:     0MB 7:     0MB                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
[    8.829000] EDAC amd64: using x8 syndromes.
[    8.829003] EDAC amd64: MCT channel count: 2
[    8.829055] EDAC MC0: Giving out device to module amd64_edac controller F17h: DEV 0000:00:18.3 (INTERRUPT)
[    8.829076] EDAC PCI0: Giving out device to module amd64_edac controller EDAC PCI controller: DEV 0000:00:18.0 (POLLED)
[    8.829086] AMD64 EDAC driver v3.4.0

Now, there is some debate that the MC sensors should report the amount of RAM they're monitoring (my older Phenom system does), which is why I say it appears to work.

1 Like

Nice @Rudster , sounds like you've got the OC down pretty tight. Care to post your specs?
I only have a 1700x, but interested in your CPU clock+voltage, ram clocks, model+voltage and the motherboard model...
might give hints on where I may slice more cycles

I verified that my NAS' memory is running in ECC mode using the free version of the commercial fork of memtest86. The original memtest86 doesn't support (yet?) DDR4. So, if you aren't 100% certain you can boot from that and check. I would be curious to know if you get a positive result there too. :wink:

1 Like

Shit I just snagged a source for some good cherry picked processors on the 1700 xD pay a little extra but getting a good bit for it.. anyways yeah rudster won the silicon lottery

Yeah if youre lucky you might find chips from the golden waffer.
But those are probablly unicorn's.

1 Like

LMAO actually you can pay extra to get binned center die chips.. it costs a 70 dollar fee typically if you know who to ask