Ryzen Mobile on Linux

Hi all, I’m in the market for a new laptop and I’ve got my eye on the new Elitebook 745. Does anyone have any experience with Ryzen Mobile on Linux?

My searches have shown that there seem to be some minor problems, but they seem like they’re not reallly showstoppers.

1 Like

I have a Huawei Matebook with the Ryzen 5 2500U atm and I have had some issues, but I resolved them by using the beta version of the distro I wanted. I think they support might not be 100% there yet but it’s coming soon from my experience. I haven’t had time to properly install it but I have tested a live usb so far.

1 Like

AFAIK you need a bleeding edge kernel for the ryzen mobile APUs, and the iGPU support is still half baked.

What is still missing or wrong?

Not sure, but I think I read somewhere that people were having a lot of problems, kernel panics and whatnot, due to the half baked support.

Perfect.

Well, I’ve decided to just go for it. I bought the elitebook with the 2700u last night. We’ll see how it turns out when I get it.

If there are issues, I guess I’ll be able to work on getting better support, at the very least.

4 Likes

I know you will but please report back with a detailed rundown under Linux. I am also in the market soon and would like something that plays well with Linux and some native/ home streaming performance also.

2 Likes

I’ll definitely let you know. It’s a custom order, so it won’t be here till November.

1 Like

By November kernel 4.19 will be good to go.
If you aren’t using an APU you don’t need 4.19 though.
Either way when the laptop arrives, depending on the distro you might need to turn modeset off just to install it, then after you install the new kernel you can boot normally.
Once the October distros come out that may not longer be needed.

1 Like

It’s got the vega10 I think?

It’s a ryzen pro 2700u…

I’m gonna rock fedora on it, so we’ll see. Thanks for the insight!

When you update, if you create a new thread post the link in here so we can see it.

1 Like

Absolutely. That was my plan.