Ryzen Laptops That Are Coming Out

Run unigine-valley on it, well anything GPU intensive should work.
Won’t take long, 20 minutes max.

Yup, sounds like there’s someone with an amd laptop. They just have to do amd justice everywhere by sabotaging them. I mean show me a modern gamer laptop, that has heatpipes going OVER the removeable ram slots (I’ll buy u a beer)
rogstrix

To be fair, the x360 chassis is shared between AMD and Intel product lines.

Yes I noticed the GL702ZC’s crazy heatpipe arrangement. I’m speculating that was a last minute modification compared to the non-AMD version of that laptop to try to squeeze a bit more thermal headroom for the desktop Ryzen 7 CPU… with some usability compromise.

Oh, and btw, I’ve seen a MSI laptop “new, display” unit purchased from ebay that had a heatpipe going over ram making it impossible to upgrade without removing the heatsink. I don’t know if it was the default from MSI or if the store did some strange part swap.

I have that laptop and it’s really not a problem, doing a RAM upgrade is easy.

Same with GL702ZC

They couldn’t have sold it with a minuscule battery compared to the one that’s in it? That would give a lot more heat surface area for example or use 2 larger fans instead of only 1. Even the motherbord design look’s like garbage compared to it’s intel counterparts.

TL:DR Supporting the industry on the expense of it user’s, now who would want that as a user. Most don’t want to deal with all that nonsense… But it’s neccesary to deal with, for competition, innovation and all that follows

A system with less than 1hr of battery life… is usually called a desktop.

I nearly bought the GL702ZC but after getting frustrated by the compromises decided to build a desktop. The relative compactness and “portability” of a DTR is appealing though.

1 Like

What happens? I’m curious. I decided I’d like a touchscreen machine that is pennable.

GPU driver shits the bed, freezes completely.
Did link it before but probably not obvious enough, so…

==> Click here <==

coulda been a bad chip? IDK I don’t think the drivers are done yet.

Linux is not mature on Raven Ridge APUs. Lots of reports of trouble with 2200G/2400G. I wasn’t sure if the mobile APUs were also affected. Last I heard, kernel 4.17 is when better support is expected.

So far 4.17rc also shits the bed on manjaro.

Review on the HP spectre x360

After playing with unreal editor 4 on my ryzen 7 1700… I am finding I need a new laptop/portable to take to work with me so I can continue building my game at work…But I am still undecided. I am unsure if more video card or more cores is important. I have been looking to the Asus one with the ryzen 1700 in it. I guess I want to make sure it will do what I need before I buy.

No love for acer nitro 5?

If the keyboard wasn’t shit and it had a touchscreen I would be all over that thing.

So many plusses though. (Check out the full review) Taken from the review:

Pros

Refresh of a good foundation
Easy storage upgrade
No PWM-adjustment for all brightness levels
Backlit keyboard
Cool and relatively quiet under high load
Anti-smudge exterior
Good battery life for a gaming device

Cons

Dim display, while on battery power
Very resistive touchpad buttons

Ehhh, maybe, but I really want a touchscreen as well. And TBH I don’t really need a gaming device, I’m more after a replacement for my thinkpad haha.

I like the X360 for AMD, the hardware intrigues me, and the keyboard is A+, plus the obvious features.

1 Like

hmmn will have to look at that…base of 2.2 … need at least 2.4 for unreal to make minimum… It might be running hard all the time.

It’s gaming capable, not a gaming device as such and portable, plus it has what 6+ hours of battery? The seller on the machine though, is it’s price 1059USD (EU price) and available very soon

Check out the review, it never throttled even under max load and the temperatue was under 70c? Also should be available with both Ryzen 2500U & 2700U. (Ryzen 7 2700U houses 4 cores and 8 threads, which work on 2.20 GHz Base Clock and have a Maximum Boost Clock of 3.80 GHz.) So many plusses in the full review and i see that machine as a better sell at it’s price point

I bet that hits 1600$ in Canada. And at that cost extra 600 for the asus with ryzen 7 1700, for the extra 4 cores…