Ryzen Laptops (Asus ROG. 1700+580)

So we have the first Ryzen based laptop revealed today. Was teased by Asus for a while but now we have all the details.

It isn't Raven Ridge APU based but in my opinion something muchore exciting. We have under the hood a Ryzen 7 1700 8/16 CPU coupled with an RX 580. Also has a 17.3in IPS display with Freesync 2.

While the GPU isn't particularly interesting, it is awesome to see a full 8 core CPU inside a notebook. Further details are limited but still neato.

3 Likes

I'd be right on this if I didn't need a Nvidia GPU for some render engines.

I wonder what the clocks on the 1700 are like? Gaming performance could tank a bit if it's too low, considering they're already slightly behind Intel in that department.

That and also, what are the clocks on the RX 580 going to be? The RX 580 isn't a terribly inefficient gpu by any means, but in a laptop? I just wonder what kind of clocks they'll be able to cool.

I'd imagine prob around 1280-1300Mhz.

It's hard to tell since so few companies are using RX mobile GPUs but I know at least the 470 can hold boost clocks of around 1200Mhz pretty well so.

1 Like

Some what related. Dell AIO with the same 1700 and 580.

Still no clock speeds listed tho. Prob higher than a notebook tho

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11455/dell-launches-inspiron-27-7775-aio-ryzen-7-rx-580?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

1 Like

It is really fucking impressive that Dell is managing a R7 1700 and RX 580 on a 330 watt external power brick...

Inspiron 27 = fuck yo imac dog

Yeah the AMD parts, Ryzen especially, can be extremely efficient especially at lower clocks.

Speaking of iMac, if AMD can work out the Thunderbolt shit I really wouldn't be surprised if Apple went all AMD.

AMD didn't doctor the clocks on the mobile versions of Polaris, still 1257-1340. They have much more erratic power states meaning the turbo state may not be running at all times.

2 Likes

Very interesting. There will actually be a meaningful discussion between all AMD based laptops and Intel/Nvidia laptops! I don't even remember that ever happening before!

This has got to be a very scary time for all the intel stock holders...

The last time it happened was the launch of 28nm parts. AMD put fully unlocked Pitcairn up as the 7970M and nVidia didn't have Kepler ready yet so they rebadged GF114 as the 670M and 675M, both of which fell a bit short. nVidia has taken mobile graphics more seriously and AMD got locked into a supply deal with Apple so we haven't seen them release much until now.

1 Like

1077Mhz. IDK how representative that is of launch clock speeds but its something

For the love of life, please someone out there do a review of this from Linux POV.

This has been the first laptop I have ever seen, that has components I like. Laptops usually always come with a nvidia gpu and its functioning but weak open driver or its performing but clusterfuck closed driver.

Welp I know what my next laptop will be in 4 years.

As soon as they release one of the with the vega GPUs my 1070 laptop is out the door.