Ryzen Intro | Level One Techs

Note: Much more detailed testing is coming! While Ryzen 7 isn't a direct answer to the 7700k, it is more future proof than the 7700k and a better value for the 1700 vs the 7700k, especially when paired with something like the B350 chipset. Stay tuned for more coverage and benchmarks as we only just got our 1800x today.

Also note: There maybe ACS patches for KVM virtual i/o passthrough that DO work, but we need to do more testing.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://level1techs.com/video/ryzen-intro
16 Likes

I see the puns have Ryzen in quality and quantity.

8 Likes

As expected... they totally forgot those macro photos they said they'd forget :P

Looking forward to the Aorus Gaming 5 Review, that's the one I was looking into as well. The only thing I was a little disappointed about when I read the specs is that they didn't include the Audio Amp the Z270 counterpart has :(

Also if they ever get their hands on the Gaming K5, I really want to know what the 80€ difference is for... it just can't be just the color and one setting in the UEFI (I side-by-side compared both manuals and the only difference was some multiplicator thing where you're supposed to be able to adjust clocks in 0.05Mhz steps... but I mean... really?).

Also looking forward how your testing with different RAM goes. Some reviewers had results that were just all over the place depending on which RAM they used because apparently as of yet the Memory Controller is really picky about Clocks, Ranks, and Channels...

3 Likes

"AMD probably forgot how to do a launch."

Dat burn.

I grew up using my dad's Am386 and my first rig ran a K6 so I have to check for nostalgia-based biases from time to time, but I like what AMD has done so far. The R7 is a viable workstation part at a fraction of the cost of X99. The R5 is potentially a sweet spot for mainstream gamers. One of the leaks mentioned a $120 R3 which could spell the end of the desktop dual core.

My cautious optimism is palpable.

Will you guys be doing any testing with FreeBSD and GPU passthrough with it?

1 Like

I didn't know if you happened upon this yet. AMD ama on reddit confirming ECC

no worries. Its technically "up to board vendors" and I can't get a straight answer out of anyone.

I might have technical overloaded them hahahahah

BUT

I got kingston ECC ddr4 2133 and linux at least report edac ECC is enabled when using ECC dimms (and disabled when using non-ECC dimms)

So It "seems to be" working.

Also did the rowhammer test I mentioned in our vid and didn't get any flipped bits (and I could get bits to flip on one regular ddr4 kit)

So like one scenario is for single bit errors, maybe ecc silently fixes that. but in the case of 2-bit ecc errors, it is supposed to signal the cpu who logs the error and then halts the system. maybe since vendors like gigabyte say ecc is supported, but ecc doesnt function (the aorus gaming 5 reports the same edac ECC enabled message) the single-bit flip part works but not the halting part? No idea what it might mean.

On servers it's actually this really elaborate thing now where you've got WHEA (windows hardware error architecture) where errors are handled really elaborately. I've not seen anything to suggest any of that is remotely possible at the moment.

Anybody tested Ryzen with Windows7 allready?

Interesting; AMD may 'consider' supporting Libreboot: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/5x5xl3/amd_to_consider_corebootlibreboot_support_contact/

A lot of this video was a bit over my head, but still quite interesting. Why is audio on the CPU "ok, whatever"?

Just one question @wendell and @Ryan, did the lag in the memory timings occur with or without the use of ecc memory.

I hope @wendell will fix that. ;-)

1 Like

The Audio is usually connected to the Chipset, not the CPU directly. It doesn't really make a difference in the real world, but it's kinda interesting that this is how AMD designed it :D

Probably soon(-ish)™

When Wendell said he had not gotten around to doing much Windows testing, I was like "meh, who cares, I use Linux anyway", which got me thinking. Where else than L1T to get good thorough info on linux compatibility in a holistic sense (and not just benchmarks) with bleeding edge hardware, in a somewhat palatable format to newbs like me?

1 Like

You you can install it, but there wont be any driver support.
Of course its kinda fair enough to not offer support for an EOL os anymore.
But yeah if it turns out that iommu also isnt supported or not realy ideal.
Then that would be a huge deal breaker.

1 Like

Memory speeds arent really that much of an issue..
Atleast not for 99% of the use case scenario´s.
2666mhz or 3200mhz, it isnt going to make that much of a real world diffrence,
as far as i´m concerned.

Yes. Playing with interleaving settings in UEFI on the ASRock I could get between 80 and 120ns latency whereas I'd expect around 60ns for 2400 ddr4

Ecc or not seemed high

1 Like

That goes for speeds in general, but apparently the memory controller is somewhat picky right now, or the BIOS... one of both. One of the reviews I read had issues even with the memory kit they got from AMD for the review. The memory just wouldn't be recognized. They switched to a different kit and it worked perfectly fine.

80ns to 120ns.
Yeah thats a bit on the highside there.