Ryzen Freeze on Four Year old Laptop

Hey all, first post.

I have a question for troubleshooting and confirmation on which bug I’m experiencing.

About 3 1/2 years ago I got an HP Envy X360 Ryzen 2500U based laptop, and because Kubuntu was my O/S of choice I just swapped over my home folder and drive and upgraded whichever release I was on and started using it, which is generally an O.K. way to upgrade, but on 21.04 I still experience the notorious Ryzen Freeze and would like some help diagnosing the problem.

I’m always on phoronix reading about how the next kernel is a ‘gift to AMD’ or whatever, installing it and finding out that yes things are a bit better but there are still freezes and issues hanging.

My current system / specs:
Kubuntu 21.04
LSB Version: core-11.1.0ubuntu2-noarch:security-11.1.0ubuntu2-noarch
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 21.04
Release: 21.04
Codename: hirsute
5.11.0-17-generic
Ryzen 2500U, 16GB, 1TB Samsung NVMe, Intel 8265

I generally do not like to install custom kernels as this is my daily drive, and now with a family I don’t have tonnes of time to tinker like I used to. I have been using Linux since '07 and while I’m generally considered knowledgeable and can even program and write scripts, my brain doesn’t like me to remember things so unless I’ve got it written down somewhere it will take me a bit of time to recollect how to do things.

Recently my system froze in a semi usable state so I took it upon myself to try to go through some troubleshooting steps but the wiki was a little to general to be of use and I’m not sure I really got anything out of it.

WHAT I WOULD LIKE HELP WITH:

• Confirming that what I am experiencing is in fact the Zen Freeze issue
  • Help knowing where to look for these types of issues

WHAT I’VE DONE:

• I have a mostly stock build, with some additional repos
  • I have not yet tried the nomodeset ‘fix’ as I’m afraid that it may make other parts of my system not useful
  • I have tried other O/Ses like Win10 and other ‘live’ oses that do not seem to have the same issue
  • I keep LM Sensor widgets open and monitor, and have cleaned out and re-pasted my laptop to make sure that it’s not a thermal issue

WHAT CAUSES THE ISSUE, AND HOW I KNOW ITS FROZEN:

• Sometimes nothing at all
  • The fan sometimes starts to ramp and the mouse cursor will work for a while then it freezes too normally
  • I can usually get the laptop to freeze by watching a video, sometimes it happens multiple times in a video, or sometimes it happens once a night
  • SHIFT-ALT PRT-SCRN RSEINUB used to safely boot the laptop when it was frozen, but now it does not ever since 21.04 was installed
  • I did notice that a few releases back these funny messages used to pop up about freezing behaviour, but those messages now almost never show up. What sometimes does happen is the error beep will go off when a freeze occurs but not always.

I have probably experienced hundreds if not thousands of freezing incidents, but because this O/S comes back where I left off and is relatively easy to fix and I have backups I’ve never really run into serious problems knock on wood. This is my daily drive laptop for work and whatnot so it would be nice if someone could walk me through how to suss out the issue(s) of the freezing, hopefully it’s one issue and one simple fix?