RYZEN For Gaming and Streaming in one PC?

I am ready to jump ship from my 2500k to ryzen! I am an avid gamer consider any and all game out and future at 1080p and soon 4k! Assume best case scenario for other parts, will I be able to stream games at 720p60fps or 1080p30fps while playing games on a single ryzen 7 chip? Or is it just better to go for a ryzen 5 part and just have a dedicated streaming PC?

Looking for any insight or real world scenarios of people with this chip already! Any input will be much appreciated as Im looking to make this purchase within the week!

Thus far, my experience for streaming with the Ryzen 5 1600 paired with the R9 270x has been more than adequate for streaming at 720p. However, being in the land of down under, I'm limited by our terrible upload speeds. So I'm not sure how well the performance would be at 720p 60fps would be.

The Ryzen 7 would most likely be a very strong contender for streaming within the same machine you're playing games on. I always generally say, if you can afford it, splurge on better components on a single machine haha.

PS - it's always good to show us your complete build to see what other hardware you're working with. The games you plan on playing would also be great.

right now its a
HDD samsung 850 SSD(soon nvme)
GPU HD 7970 (waiting for vega announcement before upgrade)
CPU 2500k (ryzen chip TBD)
RAM 8GB DDR3( DDR4 soon)
MOBO p8 z68 (prob will be getting asrock taichi 370 but open to other reputable recommendations)

Game wise honestly anything, witcher 3, elite dangerous, fallout, GTA V, dying light, far cry.

The 850 Evo should be totally fine. I don't think the NVME drive is really necessary. I'd recommend taking the money for the NVME drive and sinking that into a better GPU and more RAM.

I'd also recommend checking out the B350 boards unless you're set on the x370's.

Something like the following could save you a fair bit for other components:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350-GAMING 3 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($93.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($126.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $420.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-11 09:21 EDT-0400

*Can change out the 1600 for a 1700 or something too.

The current GPU market isn't great haha so yeah, you may have to wait a little while til vega drops or when the mining boom settles down (if ever).

2 Likes

A Ryzen 5 1600x will be more than adequate for stream on the same PC. It is a 6-core and should be able to habdle it quite well. It will not be 100% smooth but more than fine.

Videos like these might give you a good idea of what you expect:

The best choice would be between Ryzen 5 1600X or the Ryzen 7 1700. Choose based on your budget. If you want to target 4K you mich want to go for a Ryzen 5 and give more funds to the GPU. If you care most about 1080 or 1440p then you can go for a Ryzen 7 and a RX580 or a 1060 as it would be very a good combination.

1 Like

I'd also recommend checking out the B350 boards unless you're set on the x370's.

I am a little curious about the b350 boards in terms of stability and overclockablility, I dont mind spending the extra money for an absolutely solid MOBO that will give me a good chance for a decent overclock! But if I can do the same as a taichi for cheaper, of course!

The best choice would be between Ryzen 5 1600X or the Ryzen 7 1700. Choose based on your budget. If you want to target 4K you mich want to go for a Ryzen 5 and give more funds to the GPU. If you care most about 1080 or 1440p then you can go for a Ryzen 7 and a RX580 or a 1060 as it would be very a good combination.

Are you just suggesting the ryzen 5 because of budget? or will I see better performance because of higher clocks/fewer cores? I have no problem spending the money if it is worth it to get the best CPU for gaming/streaming in 1 pc rather than 2!

1 Like

All the Ryzen chips will top out at 4 - 4.1ghz when over clocked regardless of 6 or 8 core. So whichever you can afford, the 1700 will have the extra cores. But yeah balancing the budge toward the GPU is usually the better option which is why the R5 was suggested, a little cheaper and more for the GPU.

so Im pretty settled on the 1700 for some future proofing. My last question would be MOBO, Whats a good value 350 MOBO? It seems there are very few caveats of getting the 370 chipset for such a price increase.

Wait for threadripper to drop and see if prices drop? It's not that far off IIRC.

1 Like

I am just suggesting it in relation to the money you will spend on the GPU. As i said a 1600X will be more than capable for streaming on the same machine, gives great value for money and allow you to spend more money on a 4k capable GPU.

In term of frequencies you will see some extra performance for single threaded game because of the extra 300Mhz but with extra overcloking you can probably just balance out the difference.

If you go for the 1700 then i would definitely suggest a 370 motherboard. Extra features and expandability and more important better overclocking are always nice.

I mean, did you read that end of July is really just a paper-launch now? Honestly, it feels like waiting for Godot.