Ryzen CPU doesn't really fit in mainboard

I just got my ASRock Taichi and it seems that my CPU wont correctly fit into the socket:

As you can see, it is sort of crooked, even though I've aligned the triangle correctly. When I lock the bracket, it remains the same.

That first photo will be my wallpaper.

It's so sexy.

3 Likes

Bent pin?

7 Likes

Shine a flashlight into the socket, maybe something is stuck in one of the holes.
And take a look at the pins (maybe take a photo and post it).

1 Like

So as @noenken suggested it was a bent pin :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I bent the pins on my 1700 and this happened when I tried to put it into the socket, I bent the back the best I could an applied slight pressure to the part that was sticking up and it popped back into the socket.

I had a horrid experience with a old 8350. I knocked it off my desk and ruined it. I have yet to even attempt to unbend them them, but I still have it. I am going to try at some point though.

1 Like

My 1700 wasn't too bad, I ended up using a mechanical pencil with the lead removed and inserted it into each pin to straighten them out, still isn't perfect and it still sticks up from the socket until I apply pressure to place it down but it works.

4 Likes

You're not a real AMD guy until you had to bend some pins back.

15 Likes

I had a phenom II or athlon cpu back in 2010, bent the pins and bent them back. But my problem is that I had a few bent pins. The 8350 I have is mostly all bent. :frowning:

1 Like

Credit card method works for that. Run it down the row and leverage all the pins in that row back up straight.

3 Likes

This sound pretty easy :wink:

Some motherboards may have a more tight fit for the cpu. It will fit, try moving the cpu it from side to side with a bit of force on top just be real careful. Good luck

1 Like

Everything worked fine, I am able to boot without any issues... That being said, I'd like to know what bent the pin, since I didn't unbox my CPU until right before I put it into the socket and was also extra careful when doing so.

2 Likes

I dropped a 6300 once. I think there were more bent pens than unbent pens, so I just bought another one :sweat_smile:

This is why i am not a fan of PGA ZIF sockets. Pent pins and CPU remaining atached to the CPU cooler when you remove it.

1 Like

Is what happened to my 1700, it isn't all bad though, in theory buying 2nd hand motherboards should be better.

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/post-your-tech-cringe/113501/295?u=michaellindman&source_topic_id=114498

I lost a AMD X2 chip to a this kind of thing.

1 Like

Wait, then I don't apply? I've built AMD systems and never had to bend the pins back. The only time I had to bend pins back was on Intel PLGA 775.

Your chip is going the wrong way you troll.