Ryzen Build Died After 48 hours :(

Great! I did not realize they were the same board - also didn't realize the Fatal1ty had a 5gig NIC until after I bought it....I feel waaay better about spending more on it now! My cross-shipping nightmare is nearly over...

1 Like

The Taichi is an exceptionally good motherboard for Ryzen, the Fatality Pro Gaming is essentially a Taichi+1. If you look at the two boards closely you'll even see that the Taichi actually has the solder points for the extra parts of the Fatality, they're just unpopulated.

I hope you have a better experience with the ASRock board!

1 Like

Wait what? Is the Gaming Pro Carbon really that bad? This is like my 1st time hearing about it. Isn't mobo failure random? I've read that the Gaming Pro Carbon has some pretty good reviews.

I was so set to buy this board then I see this.

I likely received a bad one - I am surprised it lasted 48 hours powered before dying TBH. I would expect sudden death to be sooner from new electronics but the timeframe is reasonable.

Keep in mind I haven't received a new board yet, so for all I know there may be nothing wrong with it. Although I don't know what else it could be, as I tested everything else, unless it just suddenly decided to stop working with my RAM.

The build quality was quite good, but the BIOS options were a bit lacking (there weren't very many things to fiddle with), and it worked fine for the time it worked...

Glad you got a new board. As a rule I'll never buy an MSI motherboard. I'll buy the laptops in a heartbeat though, and at least consider the graphics cards. Typically sapphire/evga will beat out MSI on the card side.

But why though?

When I saw this video I was like set to buy the mobo.

Hopefully thats the case yea, I hope you have better luck on the next board then.

Horrendous failure rates and generally less quality for the same price.

Is it only on the Ryzen line up or overall?

Observations over the past few years. I know of 3 people URL, plus myself, that had to rma MSI boards. Mine was for a 4700 series. Got a refund and got an Asus board.

I see. My brother and I both have MSI boards and it works great. So that's the reason why I couldn't understand the hate over MSI boards when we had such good experience with em.

It's all similar to the hard drive wars I suppose. I'd dare not spend money on Seagate but some people only buy that.

Interesting. I bricked my ASUS prime x370 with a BIOS update. I have the replacement now but have not flashed it. However come the AMD AGESA 1006 patch I will.

I better do more homework.

Well initially they arent that bad.
However they have cheaped out on the vrm design on their X370 boards.
They use cheapy type of Nikos mosfets in their vrm on all their boards.
And they ask premium money for boards like the Xpower Titanium and such.
Which in my opinion is unacceptable if you use such cheap components.
Of course i can understand Msi´s logic, if you put enough crappy mosfets on a phase,
then combined they dont suck as bad.
But its just dissapointing really.
Because those Nikos mosfets are very in-efficient.

2 Likes

well that, or too much of premium.

Well i´m very dissapointed wenn i looked to the vrm implementations on the Msi X370 boards.
Especialy the Xpower Titanium, really dissapointed me.
I can understand that they use a cheaper type of mosfet on their midrange boards.
But seeing them also on their premium boards is just a dissapointment.

If Msi reads our forum, i really hope that they would overlook their choice on vrm topology designs.
Because that can be done allot better for a premium brand they claim to be.

1 Like

So is the Gaming Pro Carbon still a good choice for the buck? Cuz this is one of the reason I chose this board. Originally I was gonna go for Crosshair VI Hero but then I found this and would have saved my almost half of the cost giving more budget for the ssd part of the build.

Is the Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 a better choice?

I bricked my second ASUS PRIME X370-PRO. Tried a bios update. 0504 to 0604.

fat 32 usb drive well tried 2 sticks in all the ports I could fit in.

Im all but gutted on this platform....Want to be positive but it fucked me in the ass 2 time for no reason.

Damn... you had it rough huh. Are you planning to buy a different brand this time? With all the thing that happened to you what is your personal outlook on the platform?

I upgrade my machine rarely but Ryzen has been a fucking big hiccup in my life.

I figured tech would just work.