Ryzen Build Died After 48 hours :(

Update 5-27-2017

Update

Received my Asrock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming a few hours ago. Boots fine. Must have been a mobo problem.

May not have been anything wrong with the first CPU I sent back. Lets hope this build lasts a little longer. :D.

Thanks to all the commenters for recommendations, especially the tip to turn Windows power management minimum CPU state to 10%.

Built a Ryzen 7 1700x machine, coming from an i7-3770k - was looking for more storage speed and stability. Extra compute was a bonus.

MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon mobo, 32gb Crucial LPX 2866(?), p600 NVME, new case and PS. Reused my GTX 970 for now. Noctua DH-15 cooler.

Everything went together perfectly and fired up the first time. Had to swap the power led +/- as usual. Flashed latest bios.

Ran great for about 48 hours. Temps looked great - 50C idle, 75C full load under prime 95 (these were reported temps - subtract the usual 20 degrees for x model CPUs - 30C idle, 55C load). Didn't do any overclocking - did try to take my memory to 3200, didn't work. BIOS reset and I am living with whatever the XMP profile is on my memory.

Go to sleep on day 2 with a Youtube going, wake up after 2 hours to a system that is powered off and hissing static (USB dac does this when it has USB power but no audio signal). Play with it a bit, but it's the middle of the night, so I figure I'll look at it in the morning. No smells.

Next day, I dig it. EZ-Troubleshooting lights on the mobo indicate CPU failure, I do the usual removal and re-install of everything 1 by 1. Still nothing. No smells, no visible damage, no improper assembly that I can find. RMA CPU.

2 weeks go by. New CPU arrives. 1700 instead of 1700x. Rage. I Amazon the correct CPU, and it's here before the company who made the mistake even replies to my email.

Install today - still no post, indicates CPU failure still. RMA motherboard, sending back tomorrow.

If you've made it this far:

Should I try my fresh CPU in my new mobo when it arrives, or RMA it first? If I put a fried CPU in a good mobo, could I damage it, or vice versa? I'm also worried my bad mobo ate both my CPUs. Ryzen is too new of a platform, neither myself nor anyone I know has parts sitting around to test.

1 Like

At least MSI has a fairly OK RMA process but this time around for Ryzen boards MSI have been hit or miss at best.

I am pretty sure the CPU should be fine... as I have a feeling its the motherboard. But while you are waiting for the motherbaord RMA you could see if anyone you know has AM4 ... or get a B350 board to test with in the meantime.

4 Likes

Asrock is my go to brand at this point, use to be asus but 1 bad exp on X99 and im done with their stuff. Asus support was still good though so wouldnt tell people not to use it just they are my 2nd choice now.

3 Likes

Dang, at least your in warranty. I'd blow my anus out if my 8350 rig crap out on me now.

Thanks...I built some family machines with MSI boards during Haswell cycle, they have proven quite good. I wanted an Asrock Taichi but nobody had them it stock. The few available were asking $400-$450 on ebay and I talked myself out of waiting...

NewEgg is handling my mobo RMA, I was within replacement window. That mobo is replacement only, not refundable, otherwise I would switch out for the AsRock now that another batch seem have found their way to retailers.

1 Like

Bro Why? MSI's AM4 lineup has bar none the worst power design per dollar, with the exception of one or two b350 boards.

My guess would be it's a board issue, but a badly designed PSU can cause transient problems or fail to post without catastrophic failures on boards with bad power delivery.

Was in stock when I was ready to buy. Had to have x370 for the second PCI-E slot for my 10gig adapter. Figured for the most part a mobo should be a mobo at this point - we are not talking about some exotic new technology here.

Power design - if I'm not overclocking, should it really matter? Are there boards on the market that cannot deliver power in the rated envelop to the CPU they are built to support? I get the impression so many features that "appeal" to enthusiasts these days are not genuine technical improvements, just things added to differentiate manufacturers in the marketplace.

You're right on lot of that, but as it turns out, cheap, hot components add more failure mode variability. Most boards that fail in warranty will do so within 72 hours of beginning a duty cycle, (as is your case,) but the closer you cut it with the maximum ratings, the earlier out of warranty 'good' boards will fail, and a higher number will fail in general, barring some unforeseen design flaw.

Also note that as little as a few years ago people were exploding/setting fire to 'adequate' MSI VRMs. There's marketing wank everywhere, but there are plenty of things that still matter, even in the arena of day to day reliability.

If you're paying the same money (hypothetically, I know you only have return with your current board,) then there's no harm in going with the best designed board.

new msi's bioses are kinda buggy, they set cpu loadline on level 9 (on auto) which is bad. Or at least msi gaming carbon pro

sorry to add something non-serious, but if you imagine smooth jazz playing as you read the OP, it sounds like a good noir crime film.

2 Likes

I see you haven't been using Ba'noodle.

1 Like

Jeebus Christ

Looks like you got caught in the infant failure rate, failure on new products shortly after install isn't uncommon.

It's rather annoying, but I assume you can get help with RMAing.

1 Like

there's plenty of hard-locking problems too, but more correct words were -> fcken christ...
Took me couple days to figure out the issue after bios update. (basically on 100% full load @3.8GHz pre-bios update i had ~40'C after updates in 30sec i would reach over 100'C on stock... running with custom waterblock.)

so golden rules for msi gaming carbon pro:
1) reset cmos before updating bios. (and remove saved profiles)
2) set cpu load-line manually.
3) turn off its overclocking 'gaming' 'turbo' whatsoever profiles... never use them. (voltages can go crazy for some reason) -- manually overclock.
4) change northbridge voltage to 0.94v and force it there, don't let msi have it auto. They go stupid there... seen it go up to 1.2v on my mobo at one time.

Hmmm, have you seen the voltage go crazy on vCore? I recall seeing either vCore or VID during my testing stopped scaling up and down, I think it locked at 1.5 or 1.55v in HWMonitor. This was just before I went to sleep before the failure, figured it was a software error which I would solve with reboot since the temps didn't change.

I thought I was being paranoid about this since I was not able to confirm, just going completely from memory here.

I did leave everything on auto, but of course I disabled that automatic overclock.

Comments here are making me think I should order the Asrock and put my RMA on ebay when it comes in...

This is a software problem. Go into your windows Ryzen power plan and set the minimum load percentage to 10% from it's default 90%. This allows your CPU to scale correctly again. Mind you even with the 90% profile the CPU does it's own internal scaling and just doesn't show you what it's doing.

for some reason its capable of setting such on auto. Since v1.3 of bios i simply do not trust msi gaming carbon pro with any settings on auto.

Ok you guys talked me into it....Newegg support changed my RMA to a refund so I am free to buy the AsRock X370 Taichi but there is only one in stock on Amazon for $240, looks like about $250 shipped on ebay.

Should I wait for the regular vendors to get it back in stock for $199? Or does anyone have a line on in-stock for this?

2 Likes

For $250 one could get the X370 Professional Gaming.

It's the exact same board as the Taichi, except with a couple extra headers, a second ethernet port, and integrated power/reset buttons. Oh, and it's red instead of white.

That said, NCIX has the Taichi apparently in stock for $229.

http://www.ncixus.com/products/?sku=139780&usaffiliateid=1000031504

If you can return your board to the retailers, and replace it with either the Asrock X370 Taichi,
Asrock X370 Professional gaming or the Asus Crosshair VI Hero.
Then just do it.

Those are the best boards out there.