Ryzen APUs use TIM under the IHS rather than Solder

Too late anyway. I’m still parsing what sort of build I’m going for, it might get a VCR-sized case with a Blu-Ray drive and sit on the entertainment center.

Whaat? Tell me more!

How is that a bad upgrade path? You don’t upgrade from a 1700 to the 2400G you know. And also who in their sane mind would buy a 2400G for an SLI setup. Like. Wat?

If you have only 8 lanes now, you could even pop a dGPU in there no problem. Because, as everyone knows, that’s still enough bandwidth for current gen GPUs, especially mid-tier GPUs (and let’s be honest, noone would buy a 1080 Ti - which still isn’t bottlenecked either - and use it with a 2400G). Would even work with passthrough (provided the IOMMU isn’t garbage). Play low-end games on Linux natively (because that’s what Intel won’t do because… Intel), and the heavier stuff on Windows passthrough.

If you got some money laying around you pop in a 1700 (or 2700 or whatever is current at the time) and get a second GPU if you like.

I don’t see a bad upgrade path anywhere around.

2 Likes

Basically the same chips, slightly slower with a TDP of 35W.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12428/amd-readies-ryzen-3-2200ge-ryzen-5-2400ge-apus-with-reduced-tdp

1 Like

If you want to game for real on an iGPU, the Intel G-series APUs have 20 Vega CUs and integrated HBM so they should be dramatically higher performance solutions. Should be able to handle 1080p at medium/high settings, unlike the AMD APUs.

However they will be BGA-only so you’ll need to buy them soldered to a mainboard, and probably will only be available in all-in-ones (iMac, in particular) and higher-end laptops.

1 Like

The availability of those is still a question mark as is the format they come, just as you said. Might be there will be barebones with that kind a intelvega apu. I like the idea of ditching intel igpu’s with vega cores.

I can imagine the ryzen2 apu’s will end low end cards like 1030 and 550 in 2 years time. The jump in integrated graphics on these chips is amazing. No one thinks of intel iGPU gaming but AMD has done it at $99 entry level. That’s basically every PC built if using AMD can e-sport game out of the store, dont need to be a gamer buying a dedicated GPU.

I would expect to see them available barebones in a NUC-style package, sure. Would make a heck of a HTPC!

Part 2 the results cam out

Really curious if the iPGU can be overclocked, Kavari got much better fps gains oc’ing the iGPU vs oc’ing the CPU.
edit
These guys tried to oc the igpu but bios prob

Agree intel hate nvidia and want to do it themselves on laptops. So for now there in bed with AMD to get some GPU performance. These parts are still going into laptops so power will be the limit.
The Ryzen APU’s being desktop parts means power is not an issue and the APU’s are heavy on the watts but it doesn’t matter if the out of the box cooler keeps up.

There will still be those who upgrade from old refurbished busines machines and want some gpu power. They will buy those low en cards even when you get like 200% the power just with one apu.

Only the cpu power of 2400G is more than my overclocked gaming machines fx-8350 cpu
has, and then you dont need to spend 300€ or dollhair$ for the gpu. Yes, my rx 480 can do more math than that apu. but still i don’t feel i need all that power of the gpu i now have, it runs mostly idle. (and almost silent wich is fantastic!)

Only if i had TR-1950, i would laugh like a villain and run only gentoo for fun :smiley: -yeah the secret sad fantacies…

It can. I posted this in another thread but here it is:

The same guy has multiple reviews with the GPU up to 1650MHz.

2 Likes

Thanks! That’s one thing I love about these APU’s
You can OC the iGPU, then when you buy a dGPU you can OC the CPU side :slight_smile:

Aaaand the fun part:

Not that I think anyone was confused about this…

2 Likes

LOL the hype :slight_smile:

People have the mind of a goldfish…

1 Like

Nope, but redundancy is never redundant, so…

These parts are relatively lost cost and low tdp. I think it’s perfectly reasonable that AMD cut a corner using thermal paste instead of solder tbh

The Non APUs of course are going to be soldered. I just want them to improve the PCI-E Root complex for the refresh to give us in the very least 40 lanes.

Though I’d like to see this, I highly doubt this will be the case. Zen+ is only going to be a shrink as far as I know, with no major changes in architecture.

Even for Zen2 I somewhat doubt it will be in there.

I think the market for anyone that actually needs that much is still somewhat small. 2 GPUs isn’t all that common in the first place, and 2 x8 connections suffice. The only thing where more would be useful is 2 GPUs and a ton of peripherals, but again, the market there is rather small and probably better served with Threadripper anyway.