Ryzen - Aorus AX370 Gaming 5 Review + Linux Test | Level One Techs

To my knowledge it's always possible, that or I got really lucky on a server. But to my knowledge the entire LACP thing is done on OS level in Linux (there might be NIC's that have HW support). And Linux then tells the network card: just put this data on the network.
There might be a few network cards however that don't support this ? Like WIFI cards, some cannot spoof their mac (to for example bridge VM's on your WIFI card.)

Yes. Did some more checking around and found that this line from G.Skill is all Samsung and is single rank. The exact part number I wanted to use was not listed in their QVL but other kits from the TridentZ lineup were.
Going to place an order today. Excited to get all the parts in!

Nothing against your review at all, satisfactory presentation, but I rather an Asus motherboard been used instead.

A bit late to the cake but i´m gonne post it regardless cause people are allways interested in this i think.
This particular board has a very interesting vrm implementation to say the least.
It contains pretty highend components from what i have seen.

Official VRM specification of the Aorus AX370 Gaming5.

• PWM: IR35201 running in 6+2 phase mode, but in this case 6 direct phases are used for vcore no doubling.
    And the +2 phases are doubled to 4 pwm phases using 2x IR3599 phase doublers for soc voltage.
    This results in a 6+4 phase design.

• Mosfets / powerstages: IR3553 fully intergrated powerstage, rated upto 40A at 125°C

• output caps: 10K

• Inductors: Custom branded power choke.
    Couldnt find the exact ratings on those, but my guess arround 55A ish.
    Based on powerstage ratings.

Memory VR.

PWM: Richtek RT8120D single phase.
Mosfets: Three mosfets from ON semiconductor NTMFS4C10N in a single highside - dual lowside configuration.

Maybe i should make a mobo vrm data sheat of some sort someday.

3 Likes

I should have one to review soon. I am not sure the Asus boards were ready at launch based on what I've read. K want to review the Asus boards once the UEFI is lined out and stuff has stabilized.

2 Likes

This board uses IT8792E and IT8686E for sensors.
To get both (semi) working download a recent version from https://github.com/groeck/it87/blob/master/it87.c and https://raw.githubusercontent.com/groeck/it87/master/compat.h unless this has become hit the kernel-version you are using.

Mappings for those who are wondering:

1. == it8686
  2. == it8792

0.fan/pwm1: CPU
0.fan/pwm2: Sys Fan 1
0.fan/pwm3: Sys Fan 2
0.fan/pwm4: Sys Fan 3
0.fan/pwm5: ???

1.fan/pwm1: Guess: Sys Fan 6 Pump
1.fan/pwm2: Guess: Sys Fan 5 Pump
1.fan/pwm3: Maybe: Sys Fan 4

0.temp1: System temp 1 (Where ?SB?)
0.temp2: Chipset/SB
0.temp3: CPU
0.temp4: PICx16
0.temp5: VRM
0.temp6: EC_TEMP_1

1.temp1: PCIx8
1.temp2: EC_TEMP_2
1.temp3: System temp 2 (Where ?SB?)

1 Like

This board uses ALC1220 codecs. You wish to run a kernel 4.11 for this. However, nvidia-drivers doesn't compile (for me) on this version.
There is a patch for the HOTPLUG cpu problem: https://gist.github.com/tpruzina/3e36f7da0673c1bf4b421f53b8d99b02
But no for the signal problem (to my knowledge).

Copying the /sound folder from 4.11 to 4.10 didn't work for me yet. The driver seems to load, but some alsa/driver problems are getting in the way.

What does the driver do differently here on 4.11? I got beeps and bloops out of the headphones.. is it just full support for the chipset that is missing? I thought 1220 was in 4.9+

1 Like

Interesting, I just assumed it didn't work with stock 4.10 kernel ! I will try right away.
Took a diff of the (what I think are relevant files) ./sound/pci/hda/patch_realtek.c:
"> HDA_CODEC_ENTRY(0x10ec1220, "ALC1220", patch_alc882)"
(Whatever that means, might just be some generic maintenance.)

Will try asap. (now :wink: )

Might also be an issue in my kernel-config / userspace problem.

alsamixer -c 1
ALSA lib /var/tmp/paludis/media-libs-alsa-lib-1.1.2/work/alsa-lib-1.1.2/src/mixer/simple_none.c:1550:(simple_add1) helem (MIXER,'Master Playback Switch',0,1,0) appears twice or more
cannot load mixer controls: Invalid argument

Edit1:
This seems to be the main problem

snd_hda_intel 0000:12:00.3: control 2:0:0:Master Playback Volume:0 is already present

Edit2:
Sound works, but no alsamixer !

Edit3:
The bug is in the fact that are 2 controls with the same name, alsactrl store will show this in the statefile. But alsamixer cannot work with this. (This is probably why this is warned about in the kernel.)

Edit4:
You might need to run to prevent buffer under runs when running at 192KHZ and S32_LE.

find /proc/asound/ -name "prealloc" -exec sh -c "echo 4096 > {}" \;

(As well as configure dmix if you are still rocking pure ALSA.)

1 Like

For those who need to increase/decrease the volume a bit you can download http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/HDA_Analyzer.

Then go got card-X -> codec-0 -> Node[0x02] AUD_OUT and change Val[0] and Val[1] first slider.
You can also use 0x03 and 0x04 for Surround and Center playback settings.

1 Like

Curious problem: the motherboard crashed:
- Linux on login screen
- BIOS was reset
- USB peripheral where no-longer working in BIOS.
- To fix USB-in Bios, had to power down the PC.

Edit: cause of crash seems to be to read and set sensor data with lm_sensors/pwm/sensors/speedfan/...

Untested potential bug: hibernate/suspend/resume: (unconfirmed tested this once).
I got the BIOS in a state I had to disconnect the battery and PSU to power on the PC again.

Windows has that bug. C6 sleep is buggy as heck rn.

Posting this here since I don't want to spam the Tomahawk Thread with this (https://forum.level1techs.com/t/msi-b350-tomahawk-review-linux-test-level-one-techs/115024/96)

Do the Gaming 5, K5 and K7 use the same VRMs? I know the K5 has less, but the K7 looks like the exact same board with a black shroud (and apparently external BClock if I read this right).

Also, having no clue about VRMs at all...

what does "interesting" mean in this case?

Looks like the same vrm to me yes.
Interesting in the sense that they didnt use doubling on the main vcore,
and choosed for very high components on those IR powerstages.

Alright, mh... cause I'm still undecided on which board to take :confused:

I think the Gaming 5 white shroud would fit very well in the Define S I got laying around, but completely black would highlight the (imo) very nice LED positions more... mh, then again the K7 costs 30€ more...

And the K5 isn't all that different (except the VRMs), it's just missing the U.2 (which I won't be using anyway) and the Diagnostic LED (which granted could come in very handy, but ruin the RGB LED since they are always red... gotta get some tape ready).

Well is Aorus the only brand you look at?
Or are you also looking at other option?

Asrock X370 Taichi or Asus X370 Crosshair Vi Hero are also great boards.

Asrock Taichi and Professional gaming have the best vrm implementations,
that i have seen on any X370 board.

The Taichi is like 260€ here (against the ~200 for the Gaming 5). The C6H is ~240€. Also the Gaming 5/K7 (not sure about the K5, need to look into that) is the only board I found that had thermal sensor headers (I was going to watercool and maybe go fan-curve by water temperature). I liked the asthetics of the Aorus boards too, the Taichi is nice, but the LED placement is very weird, would probably end up not being used (kinda wasted in a Define S). As a bonus (not actually important), the Aorus have RGBW Headers, not just RGB :slight_smile:

Generally speaking, yes I was looking at the other brands too, but those prices here... :frowning:

I livei n the Euro zone aswell, so i feel the pain haha.
But those Aorus boards are pretty good from what i have seen.
The bios can be a bit wonky, but thats allways something you should update firstly.