Ryzen 9 5900x High Idle temps

Hi Level1

Having some weird Voltage issues with my 5900x. on idle its jumping between 1.1v and 1.444v on Vcore at Idle. Temps over 60c. Cooler is a 240mm AIO

CoolerMaster ML240R RGB
Gigabyte X570 Master. Latest BIOS

All board settings are default apart from XMP being enabled. Not to sure why its so high.

Steps tried. remount reseat. same issue.

Any ideas or anyone else having similar results?

Thanks

I’ve read that Ryzen 5000 does have rather igh temperatures when under load, but not when idle.
Are you sure your system is idle and not doing something? How are you measuring your temperature?
I have a 5900X coupled with an Aorus Master as well, and I think my idles are around 30-40°C, but I’m not 100% on this. (I can check if you want). I’m using the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 at default settings, i.e. it is handled by the mainboard.

I will have a quick look at idle voltages as well if you want, but usually my PC doesn’t spend much time idling.

Anyway, which BIOS are you using? You mentioned the newest one, which would be F31j, but the F31 version has been pulled apparently and now F30 is the newest. (I’m using F31e).
Also, do you have Revision 1.0, 1.1 or 1.2? (Mine is 1.2)

System is idle. currently just on discord and watching a youtube video and its on 56C. BIOS is F30 and revision v1.2 and i am using the current release of HWmonitor. all chipset and drivers and up to date. Posted screenshot

Interesting, I will cpare these with mine but you’ll have to wait one or two days for that.

Anyway, maybe F31 solved some of these issues.

Edit: Some info on F31 (apparently aver version ending in a letter is a beta BIOS)

Thanks, i will give it an update and see

Not much change on the BIOS update.

Sorry to have to ask but can you just try a remount, and it would be awsome with a picture of the TIM when you remove it?
TLDR: Insufficient mounting pressure?

Install ryzen master and see what it says the temperature is.
I have noticed hw monitor is slightly off with these cpus when they are idle. They bounce between 40s and 60s because of the boosting behavior and some monitoring programs average it out and make you think it is never under the 50s.

Edit: when i say idle i mean light loads like you are describing.

2 Likes

That’s not really that high for only 240mm aio. Don’t focus on temps unless it’s on load pretty sure my 3900 was 50-60c idle and would never really go lower, my 3600 on the same loop isn’t much lower. ( Custom loop tons of fluid capacity)

1 Like

Well, I also spent hours on trying to “fix”
It. What I’ve found problem is the power plan on windows is just too sensitive to programs.

I found 3 different solutions:

1. You are probably using none fresh windows after hardware upgrade, clean installation might resolve it. Probably you running many things in background as I said the power usage is too sensitive for “balanced mode” maybe you can find out there better power mode for 5950x, I didn’t found.
    What did for me the trick is using ccleaner tool, removed old registry and disabled from startup lot of things. My computer runs now at 35-45c at idle room temp around 20-25c, sometimes I see jumps to 50c’s… however mostly it staying under 40. Hotter than my intel 8700k but still okay for 16 cores cpu I guess.
    Btw I applied liquid metal on it, no improvements.

2. Using saving power plan in windows fixing the issue completely without any changes or issues. you can set at the advanced settings 99% or lower of power plan minimum cpu usage so it runs all windows stuff around 3.3ghz but when you running some heavy, it take few seconds to give you maximum boost. Bit annoying but you can switch power mode when need it.

3. A completely fix without any windows bullshit is changing in bios settings as below:
    lock your CPU voltage at 1.15-1.2volts depends on your chip. set POB on add manual configuration and lock at 200wats, 180amps and set max temp 85 before throttle.
    For me it doesn’t reach 85c unless I running prime95 at maximum power, which getting to 85 after several minutes and lowers the clocks slightly.

From my tests higher voltages giving you higher performance on single core but lower on multiple cores as it reaches max power if you go over 200w you should have really good cooler, as I didn’t managed to run it at safe temps at max load with synthetic tests with my 240mm aio.
Lower voltage = lower idle temps.

My pc I running at 1.185 volts, c20 score is 10200
Idle temps 28-40c without any changes
Power plan set to high or whatever you want, it wont have any affect on cpu temps.
I getting 10600 with auto voltage, slightly lower single core performance but I consider this as a win, become cpu never getting too hot and everything runs much faster compared to pob off mode, which score is only 8xxx.

Hopefully it helps, if you find any better solution let me know.

Yeah i had found a fix on reddit for the temp and stability issues.

Tried a ton of different things to get the system stable, and the tweaks in that post is the only thing that will keep it stable.

Have you checked the waterblock’s contact with the IHS and the thermal paste? It could just be poor contact causing high temps.

Im not running an AIO but my radiator is a craptastic aluminum one. I run with Precision Boost on and my idle temps are around 48c and that is with fans that dont report RPM’s so my board just keeps them at a constant rate and does not ramp up or down.

Do you have the latest F33j (agesa 1.2.02) Uefi Bios?
Adding my thoughts on the 5900x (as a Tuf x570+ wifi based system)

Disclaimer: I’m using a Corsair (asetek based) 280MM AIO.
(I don’t have the luxury of using the setting listed in linked post, as this is a linux machine)
On my initial install, vCore was at 1.447v slight fluctuations, within uefi bios.

Adjustments applied:
DOCP: 3600mhz
FCLK: 1800mhz
PBO: Enable
vCore: Offset (-)

Next boot, my vCore in the uefi reported as 1.34V. Still too high I thought, but I did not delve further
into adjusting it as I did not have much room for downtime.
I’ve started with an Asus 2407 bios (rudimentary 5900x support, no clocks reported and several options not available).
I quickly realized I did not have full support and updated into 3405. My clocks did NOT lower with similar settings applied, no matter.

With the latest 3801 (beta) release [agesa 1.2.02), the 5900x report vCore @ 1.14v within uefi.
This has been substantially better and cooler.

Any reason why you’re squeezing every last amount of performance in the outset?

hello, longtime viewer of l1techs news saw your post and registered as I can help
my job is to make things work when engineers are afk so I’m used to do whatever’s necessary to achieve results without going into details, you could say I have a FABulous but overly complex work :wink:

GOOD NEWS

• no you don’t have a problem your computer is probably fine you don’t have to repaste or whatever, if you built it right the 1st time that is
  • yes it’s completely normal to have such high temperatures on AMD Ryzen, it’s pretty much the trademark of AMD
  • the reason why is on your screenshot : 1.4+v is the default amd ryzen behavior and completely unacceptable voltage for lightly loaded cpu, everyone has that by default with the recent Ryzens

ANOTHER GOOD NEWS

• an “easy” fix has been released recently Clock Tuner Ryzen 2.1RC5
    I can’t post links so check guru3d website for the ClockTuner 2.0 for Ryzen (CTR) Guide and ClockTuner v2.1 for Ryzen (CTR) Guide (which is more like an update news than a guide)

• quick guide because this is an in-developement app (beta) so frankly it won’t work properly for most people (including me)
    launch the app → click on profiles tab → click each calculate profile (wait that it has completed it’s run before pressing the next calculate) → click all three save profile → activate profile P1 then P2 then check CTR Hybrid OC switch on then activate PX → switch autoload profiles on → click “to tray” tab on the right

see how my idle looks right now and know that last week I had like you 1.45v and a 60°C idle :expressionless:

the tool is not made to achieve ultimate overclocking but the best perf/watt optimization, that said you can modify it’s settings to achieve both, those settings below are tailored to my cpu, memory, cooling and bios yours might differ

AUTOMATICALLY CALCULATED SETTINGS

PX HIGH 4950hz 1375mv MID 4875mhz 1375mv LOW 4800mhz 1350mv
P2 VID-1100mV CPUusage-28% CCX1-4575Mhz CCX2-4425Mhz
P1 VID-1050mV CPUusage-81% CCX1-4275Mhz CCX2-4150Mhz
Memory Speed DDR4-3600
Memory Timing 16-20-20-38 CR1 (wasn’t stable see below for final values)
North Bridge Clock 1800Mhz

cinebench R23 27524/1607 16.57x 137.26w/60°C
cinebench R20 10667/630 16.93x 137.70w/59°C
cinebench R15 4639/268 17.33x 247.86fps 136.18w/58°C
cinebench R11.5 51.19pts 126.75fps 136.18w/58°C
room temp 23.9°C

TWEAKED SETTINGS

PX HIGH 4950hz 1375mv MID 4875mhz 1375mv LOW 4800mhz 1350mv
P2 VID-1260mV CPUusage-16% CCX1-4725Mhz CCX2-4575Mhz
P1 VID-1106mV CPUusage-81% CCX1-4475Mhz CCX2-4325Mhz
Memory Speed DDR4-3600
Memory Timing 18-21-21-41 CR1
North Bridge Clock 1800Mhz

cinebench R23 29112/1618 17.99x 160.02w/65°C
cinebench R20 11208/631 17.76x 157.13w/60°C
cinebench R15 4805/268 17.91x 256.66fps 158.85w/60°C
cinebench R11.5 52.38pts 126.91fps 156.94w/61°C
room temp 24.6°C

Config

AMD 5950x
Asus crosshair VIII dark hero
Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4-4000 19-23-23-45
custom loop cooling (cpu+vrm monoblock triple 360mm rads etc…)

to achieve that kind of results (not really it was simply not possible at that time) it took me 3 months on a threadripper build in 2020 :confused:
after 4 days of testing CTR 2.0 then 2.-1
I now have correct idle temps (for my monster cooling setup) good benchmark scores and more importantly :wink: good fps and smooth gaming (amd has a lot of stuttering and micro freezes with default settings)
I also tailor thread usage per game with process lasso but that’s another topic ^^

2 Likes

small update

1. I had to raise the voltages in P2 and P1 to have it stable, if your screen goes black and/or the computer reboots that’s most likely the reason
  2. clock tuner ryzen being in developement has a problem switching between profiles, sometimes it stays stuck in the 1 or 4 cores profiles when I have all 16 running which leads to big temps and really bad performance

you can get almost the same performance (work applications, not gaming, games hate constantly changing frequencies and core-jumping CTR works 10x better on games) simply using PBO but the idle temps are still really bad, I don’t know what AMD is waiting to fix that, it was a major problem on 3000 threadrippers, so much so that running cinebench actively cooled my cpu, it’s not a joke (I redid that over 6 months in 2020 always happened)

check the last picture it’s very telling about how PBO worked on threadripper

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.