Ryzen 7950X with Dual 4090's

Hello!

It’s PC building time again… I’d like to build a workstation/rendering machine (mostly for GPU rendering).

It says dual 4090’s in the topic but I’m after have a build that I can extend to 2 GPU’s should the need arise.
I have researched quiet a bit online and feel that running 2 seems not trivial at all in terms of cooling and also clearance.
I’ve chosen the inno’s as they are smaller, seem to be well coole d and not overclocked.

Currently these are the components I’m looking at:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X 4.5 GHz 16-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black 82.51 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus ROG CROSSHAIR X670E EXTREME EATX AM5 Motherboard
Video Card: Inno3D iChill X3 GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card
Video Card: Inno3D iChill X3 GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card
Power Supply: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

First off, I wonder if I really need this motherboard, it always seemed “the very best” in reviews but yes, it’s also very expensive. There is also the Asus ROG CROSSHAIR X670E Hero and I wonder if that would do the job as well.

In terms of case I’m undecided between the Meshify listed, the define XL and also the Corsair 7000d (which seems also nice in terms of air flow)

I certainly don’t need 18 slots for storage (define xl) but after having almost gone crazy fitting a 3080 into a ncase small factor case once I rather have plenty of space than too little :blush:

Edit: I forgot to mention I have also
128 gb (4 modules) of Corsair Vengeance DDR 5 5600 mhz RAM and
2 x 2TB FireCuda 530 ssd for storage

If somebody sees obvious problems or has general advice I’d really appreciate it!

Thanks so much in advance,
seb

I have the same CPU in my new rig with that very same Cooler as well, I think the Black Chromax looks great :wink:

The motherboard I went with was the ROG X670E-E Gaming WiFi with only 32GB of EXPO rated Corsair memory.

Now looking to do more so checking out a matching pair for 64GB or just get a 64GB kit with matching 32GB sticks.

For my GPU I’m just using the older RDNA 2 RX 6900 XT and just a Corsair 850 Watt PSU

As for storage I still have a Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB NVMe SSD

I also recycled my old Cooler Master CM Stacker 800 Full Tower Case, this thing is old and is a freaking BEAST, it just can hold basically anything.

Hopefully others can guide you on the storage decision and case/chassis decision.

Who was that CASE company that went out of business a couple years back that made those custom chassis ?

Didn’t somebody purchase their IP to start making them once more ?

1 Like

Thank you for this already, it’s good to know that cooler is working nicely :slight_smile: I have also edited my post to add my ram and storage. The ram seemed well received in reviews but I haven’t tried it of course - maybe it’s helpful…!

That cooler is pretty darn quiet even when using TURBO fan speed mode settings, going to try FULL SPEED to to compare.

1 Like

You’re almost guaranteed that 2 DDR5 modules per channel will not see the advertised frequency, so I personally wouldn’t spend a ton of money getting the fastest RAM. See: 7950x: I want 4x32GB unless it sucks, does it suck?

2 Likes

Sadly, this one I already have, but will keep it in mind for the future, thank you!

No you really don´t as long as you grab a X670 board with dual pci-e gen 5 slots,
that has a good enough slot clearance for both cards.
The Hero might work just as well there.

I don’t think you’ll get better, outside of Asus [atm], addressing PCIe physical clearances etc.
The Extremes main perks look to be slightly beefier power delivery / sockets horizontal / DIMM.2 slot thing
I’d imagine their Hero variant, would be just as serviceable

Do you know how much PCIe bandwidth your workload actually requires?

I’m asking since then it could make sense to get a motherboard with Thunderbolt like the ASUS ProArt X670E-CREATOR to be able to connect a third/fourth dGPU via Thunderbolt enclosures.

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions around the mother board. That’s really helpfull!
I’ve actually now seen the hero also in this machine:

So I guess I could just follow their example.

That will sound silly, but what would generate pcie bandwidth? Afaik it is storage? In my forum travels I read that gpu’s “don’t need too much bandwidth”… but yes I’m slightly out of my depth, clearly.
In this video bandwidth seems to be the bottleneck when using an external GPU with thunderbolt:

Just wanted to make sure you’re aware that those x16 PCIe slots will at best be knocked down to x8 if you put two video cards in them. I picked the Asus ProArt Creator x670e partially because its two slots would run at x8 if I decide to use two cards. Other boards may be worse, but I thought that’s the best layout for me that is available with the limited PCIe lanes today. x8 may very well be fine for your application, but wanted to make sure you were aware.

Thank you for pointing that out, it seems the hero also would behave like that. I would essentially use the cards for rendering… apparently for gpu including 4090’s the x8 is not a big problem
at least according to these posts:

“But, as you mention, testing has found a negligible difference between 4 at x8 and at x16. Several tech media outlets have done testing so if OP wants data it’s out there.”

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.