Ryzen 7 3700X Voltage Confusion

Hi everyone,
I am very confused about what voltages i should see with my new Ryzen 3700x. I read in places that say 1.4v is normal, 1.4v is too high and will cause degradation. I cant seem to find a clear answer and it drives me nuts. My questions are :

1. Is 1.4v okay for low loads eg 20% on and off
  2. Is 1.4v normal for these
  3. what happens in the summer months when it gets really hot.

I would like a clear answer on what is default for these chips. Most places i read say to undervolt this or disable that. what are these chips meant to run at, I know the voltage drops when the cores are heavily loaded which is normal behaviour. what is expected when doing light work eg web browsing ect. I frequently see my cpu hover about 0.9-1.48 as i have alot of background apps i use eg discord lightshot skype steam ect. will this degrade my cpu?

1 Like

Just built a 3700X based machine and I wanted to ask the same question. Also, if it’s still in topic, maybe point me towards some downvolting tips and tricks.

P.S. I know this is a “me too” answer and I hope I didn’t get your hopes for a clear answer too high. Sorry lol

Load the optimized default settings in your BIOS and see what they are. I can assure you that a(ny) main-board manufacturer will always use safe values in their BIOS settings for every proc compatible with the board.

[screams in asus]

2 Likes

I don´t think that the behaviour is really abnormal for a 3700X.
Asus higherend boards are generally pretty accurate with voltage monitoring.
Unlike most other boards.

Ryzen 3000 will hit up to 1.5V under normal operation in light single core loads to reach maximum boost. As load and amperage is low and the voltage is only for milliseconds it is completely safe.

All core, full load voltage is generally around 1.32V and below. Fire up Prime95 and HwInfo64 and look at the max voltage and you’ll see that under the much higher amperage voltage is significantly lower.

All core OC’s should generally be kept under 1.275V to avoid degradation though that varies from chip to chip. There is no reason though to do a manual all core OC on Ryzen. Just let it boost by itself

There is no need to undervolt unless you want lower temps or lower power consumption. Severe undervolting will result in clock stretching on Ryzen and lower performance. Seriously just leave it alone

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply, that is a pretty sane explanation :slight_smile: much better than reading misinformation on reddit

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.