Ryzen 5 5600X or Ryzen 7 3800XT?

Good advice. On the flip side, a new, silent and completely overkill tower cooler with three fans is like, what, 50 bucks? So if the fan curve isn’t good enough and the noise levels bother you that much, then it’s not much extra money for a new air cooler.

The next step after that is water cooling, but then we are talking rapidly diminishing returns and higher risks of failure. You can get a really badass system look especially with hard tubing but in general, not even the AIO coolers are that much better or quieter than the silent monstrosities available in air coolers. It’s more for looks and the craftmanship than anything else, really.

(Says the guy seriously considering going fully custom case build, including manufacturing a case)

I agree, just a more silent tower cooler would be sufficient really.
But it does not have to be a big dual tower one, just a single tower cooler would be fine.
Overclocking isn’t recommended on that motherboard anyway.

I’d say those are normal temps for a stock cooler under that load. Sure custom loop coolers are nice. I had a tower type back in 2009, I can’t find one today. It was very inefficient for being a huge, finned, 2’ tall reservoir/radiator/pump combo, but silent.

I switched to a Corsair H80i, back then, and that was better. Never use that today, lol! I use the H110i GTX now, 280mm radiator with dual 140mm PWM static pressure fans that you could leave on the “quiet setting”, pump always set to “extreme” and hear just about nothing while keeping your temps way down around 40c at the die, 60-70c under load. Liquid at 21c, fans 900RPM, barely hear them.

So while an AIO like that doesn’t keep the CPU from hitting that 70c area, it does cool much more quietly. Realistically, there’s no way to wick heat much quicker, even if you use Thermal Grizzly as well.

Failure rate, can’t say on these Corsairs, as none failed me. 5 years with the H80i, then 5 with the H100i v2, now 3 years with this H110i GTX. Sold the H80i, still have the H100i v2 sitting in a box. I wouldn’t recommend any AIO with a 360mm x 3 fan radiator, they just are less efficient in testing for some reason.

Corsair AIO’s are probably the most affordable with a good warranty. If you go with an AIO, always top mount or mount with the hoses down to avoid air pockets in the tank.

I saw a video about the gross error most of us make if front mounting, hoses up. Failure happens due to the fact they leave about 10% air in the loops and natural liquid loss over time. You won’t see a leak it happens by permeation. 5 year warranty with all their AIO’s.

They don’t make the 110i GTX anymore, it seems like they moved it to the 115i RGB Pro XT 280mm radiator ~$119, the 100i 240mm radiator ~$99
RGB is only a little ring around the outside of the pump, not a light show.

Only my opinion, there are many manufactures out there. By experience Corsair hasn’t burned me by leaking, pump failure or fan problems.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.