Ryzen 5 3600 Build

Goal: Build a “General” PC that will allow me try PC only software to help give me a idea of how to optimize a build for a given software.

Asus X570-P

Ryzen 5 3600 (6 core) supplied cooler

G.Skill 8gb 3600 Cl16 x2=16gb (Two more stick on order for a total 32gb) F43600C16D-16GTZN

Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 SSD 1TB

AMD Ryzen Radeon RX 5700 XT 50th Anniversary

Windows 10 Pro

Monitor BenQ EW3270W (HDMI cable)

Ran R20 got a score of 3610
Purchased Rise of Tomb-Raider and this where I real started seeing the limits of the Graphic Card. The screen will start flashing green strips and crash. Giving an System resource error. Running the game on standard or mild I can get 60fps with Vsync enabled.

One thing I have noticed is if I enable DirectX 12 it’s a crash fest. It will run DirectX 11without issue, I don’t know what the difference is between the two. I made sure the drivers are up to date.

So far I am disappointed in the fact I have a Graphic Card that won’t perform as advertised. Is my issues due to the monitor I am using? I have never had issues due to monitor.

What should I do next?

On a side note, I ought to buy a new mouse and keyboard. I’m using an old Dell keyboard and a ball style mouse. LoL

1 Like

I have a 3600x and 5700 and play Rise of the Tomb Raider a lot. Runs great. Here is a couple pics of my settings.

Give it a try and see how she goes.

2 Likes

I shall try these setting’s and report back!

2 Likes

If the card is new try uninstalling and removing the drivers with DDU. and reinstalling the latest drivers. AMD had a lot of problems with its install drivers for the 5000 series. They just came out with a new set of drivers which are supposed to solve a lot of those problems.

1 Like

That’s not a performance issue, that’s bad drivers or defective hardware. Or a bad overclock, but you have everything at stock settings, right? An underpowered GPU might run slow, but shouldn’t artifact or crash unless there’s an error in the application itself.

Makes sense as a driver issue, I don’t have a 5700/similar card but I’ve heard about widespread driver woes. I would try DDU first, then reseat the card if that doesn’t work.

FYI, if you’re measuring a system’s performance, you should turn Vsync off while benchmarking. Vsync locks the game’s engine to your display’s refresh rate. So you can push more than 60 FPS on low or medium settings, but you’ll never know how much more unless you turn Vsync off. If you’re just playing a game, go ahead and leave it on.

Unlikely. Monitor can’t tell a game from the Windows shell, let alone different graphics APIs.

1 Like
  1. After further investigating I had to force Win 10Pro to use the downloaded driver. Could have been me not doing something right, it kept giving me a response that “Generic PnP Monitor” was the best driver. Even though I Downloaded and selected the driver from BenQ.
    Some how it eventually took, but now I wonder if it is going to try to switch back the next time I cycle the PC in the future.

2. I ran a individual 6-pin power to the 5700 rather than the “Daisy-Chain”

3. I might not have had the Card installed as securely as I thought. I got a small click when I re applied pressure. That could have been the card seating completely or something breaking!

4. Currently attempting to download the latest AMD Software & Drivers. Says I have 75min and rising! LoL

5. I have another 8G x 2 of ram on the way. I ordered the exact same part number so I hope these two sticks will play nice with the original. I hoped to find some quality 3600 16G x 4 or 32G x 4 but I don’t know enough about the differences in memory “approved for AMD x570” or other. I thought the memory protocols was all the same in respects to 288pin, dual rank etc… I need to do more reading.

1 Like

Had to quit trying to download the new AMD software until this morning. Last night it said 128min but always timed out, this morning it took less than two minutes to download and install.

The monitor driver hasn’t swapped back yet so that’s good news.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.