Ryzen 5 2600X, Good? Bad? What Chipset/Motherboard should I get?

TLDR: Planning on getting a Ryzen 5 2600X, would you suggest any alternatives? Would love Motherboard suggestions as well.

Hello,

After a year and a half of blood, sweat and tears, I have finally put together some money, and I would like some help and a 2nd opinion.

I have picked out the AMD Ryzen 5 2600X as the cpu for my build, but I would love to know what alternative would you guys and gals suggest in the same price range (±30 USD max).

Also what chipset should I go for with the 2600X? I welcome all your motherboard suggestions, especially cheap but good ones.

I do a lot of gaming, game making and other development on my PC.
Lately I ran in to an issue with Unity where by I seem to have terrible performance issues on my GTX 660 (Thanks @Vahlok ) and no attempt to troubleshoot helped so far, so it’s safe to say that I will probably need a new graphics card as well, for the time being, I will stick to Godot and Unreal 4.

P.S. The rumored launch of new Nvidia GPUs on August is when I am hoping to grab something on the cheap.

Its good. Will do absutle fine for your use. If you are not scared of over clocking it might be worth saving a few dollars for a 2600 rather than the X, unless there is a drawback I am missing.

As for motherboards comes down to the connectivity you need. But any B450 you like would be perfect, unless you need something specific from the X470 chipset, though it will cost you a few more dollars.

The price difference between the X and non-X part is very little at the moment, (10 dollars or less depending on the seller).

As for connectivity, I don’t need much, the most I can imagine myself with is 2 SSDs and 2 Hard Drives.

The GPU is pretty much the only PCI-E device I will be using, unless I win a NVM-e on a raffle or something.

Do you have any good B450 Motherboard Suggestions?

B450 isn’t out yet it seems :confused:

1 Like

Ho ho whoops… Sorry. In which case a sufficiently up to date b350 board, but then you will lose out on a few of the newer features.

Hmmm. Now I wonder when it is coming out.

Ah, boo looks like they have only been announced at computex.and no word on date/price.

So take a look at x470 and see what works for you. With the X and nonX being so close go with the X and get that XFR as I have been seeing reviews saying that Ryzen does a better job managing itself than manual over clocking.

Soooo… Yeah ignore everything I said. FML that was a waste of both of our time. Sorry.

Late July is when they are supposed to be released, although I’m uncertain how fast that will translate to motherboards in everyday consumers hands. It could be mid August or even much later.

I’m waiting for those to drop for my build as well. I figure this gives me some time to hunt down some good RAM at a more tolerable price. Perhaps in early July when Amazon does their anniversary sale.

1 Like

That is something I would absolutely recommend. Keep this list bookmarked:

Also keep bookmarks on daily deal offerings from known hardware e-tailers.
What you want is a 16GB kit of single rank Samsung B-Die 3200MHz C14.
(You could go higher clocks but the 3200 stuff “just works”)

Yeah I found something over at overclock.net that has a list of RAM with Samsung B-Die. You can sort by a bunch of different criteria:

https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/

It generates search links to some places that sell what you are looking for which is pretty handy. I’ve been following Newegg, but I should probably use one of those sites that follows Amazon stuff as it is a PITA to go through things manually there.

Recently acquired a Ryzen 5 2600 + ASRock B350 based system for someone that I should have in tomorrow.
Will give a quick report on it then to maybe help out :smiley:

I try to get the cheapest MB but I would avoid any chipset below the B350 like the 320 etc.
There is a good reddit thread on where to buy in Bulgaria

Wish I could be more helpfull but I am still gaming on my 7850K after smoking my 8320E’s MB :slight_smile: