Ryzen 5 2600X cooling concerns

The picture was from when i was mocking up the parts in the case, like i said i changed the PSU (from that S12II to a Tt Toughpower Gold) and flipped it around.
I did the test with AVX stress disabled and also benched the system with 3DMark’s Firestrike stress test

Guess I should read the text and not just look at the pic…

What MB is that? Maybe I missed that too. Does your MB have a setting like ‘core enhancement’ or ‘core performance boost’? If so disable it. It typically gives way too much voltage. On mine I saw it consistently go over 1.45v.

What voltages are you seeing when running AIDA 64?

1 Like

Haven’t looked at the voltage settings yet.
The mobo is an ASRock AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac

The 2700x would have been better off in a x470 board.

With what you have manual overclocking might be a better bet. CPU frequency and voltage change setting on auto will let the MB decide voltage. If you disable you lose XFR and are looking at manual overclocking which defeats the purpose of the 2700x. This only applies IF the voltages are too high which I bet they are for the temps you are seeing.

I must admit though that I do not have hands on experience with any Ryzen 2000 series yet.

1 Like

Its a 2600X, i was going to go with the 2700 or 2700X but the budget didn’t allow in the end due to PSU issues (the S12II didn’t have enough connectors). I was also warned (if my mind serves me right it was noenken from this forum) that i perhaps shouldn’t push the mobo past the 2700, so i stuck with the 2600X

Well, in terms of TDP … you did. :wink:

1 Like

Looking back at, i did :no_mouth:
Let’s see if the H80i will do me any favors, appart from the temperature when the system doesn’t circulate any air its been running well so far, no other problems at all

1 Like

Else i’ll see what i can do, maaaaybe upgrade to the 2700 in the summer, i’m sure i’ll have a buyer for this 2600x should i decide to sell it.

Despite the little issues, i think at least in the visual department it turned out quite well!

4 Likes

I do have a 2700X. Without touching anything it boosts to 4Ghz most of the time and seems to adjust in incremements of 10 mhz as required (i.e., task manager reported speed fluctuating between 3.99 and 4.01 sitting idle at desktop as i write this).

I really haven’t felt the need to go trying to turn XFR off and overclocking, it seems to do a fine job of getting clocks up there by itself on a dynamic basis.

2 Likes

looks like a battleship

1 Like

Yes, that was my typo. I basically mean the 2000 series with the new XFR.

It does look good though.

I will be doing a small form factor build sometime this summer with a 2600x. Will be interesting for comparison.

1 Like

Once the H80i arrives i could give you some feedback on it, its already starting to near the 20ºc again here in my town, hehe.

Weights like one too! Its still luggable, but not exactly portable…

1 Like

Alright, here we go, it looks stupid but works, therefore it isn’t stupid.
On a 15 minute test on AIDA64 stress, the temps went from a maximum of 83ºc on the core and almost 90ºc on the diode (on 0ºc weather) to 42ºc on the core and 55ºc on the diode (on 14ºc weather), that is, with the pump and fans at minimum speed.
I guess it did the trick, thanks for the help guys!

Edit: i forgot to mention i’m going to add a filter on the fan that faces the interior, as the wire can fall into it.

3 Likes