Ryzen 4650G Power Consumption

Hello guys, so I have a build with a Ryzen 4650G, A520m-HDV Motherboard and an automotive picoPSU. I have been doing some testing as i plan to run it from a battery in the future. So far my testing

160 watts max at stock with 60 watts idle
43-60 watt idle and 130 watts max consumption gaming/ benchmarking in 35 watt mode.

My question is what would be the best place to start to try and bring down the idle consumption if I can at all? Currently the picopsu is running on 18v’s so it may settle a bit but I am wondering if I could dial in an undervolt or underclock without losing the all the boost features.

what operating system do you use? try changing the power profile. enable any power savings feature in bios such as ErP

1 Like

Thanks for the help, I am running Windows 10 to test gaming performance. I shall have a look at that setting. I activated the 35 watt mode in the bios which is as far as I have gotten.

I was thinking of undervolting to see if that helps, but I plan to run it off of battery eventually so even if I could drop its full idle from 45-50 to around 30 would be a big jump.

zen 2 is buggy with undervolting, your IPC drops but clocks remain the same, haven’t confirmed if this is true with the apus since they’re monolithic instead of chiplet

1 Like

I guess that is the same as the clock stretching on my 3600 when i oced it. i am running an automotive picopsu at 18v which could be causing some power jump. I will have to dig into it. its a pretty silly chip, in cinebench r20 I get 3400 or so in 65 watt mode drawing 160 watts, and around 3050 in 35 watt mode which is pretty much the same as my stock 3600

Hi. I just saw this thread and noticed the “35 watt mode”. Can You please help me in finding where can I activate that mode? My motherboard is ASRock A520M/ITX/AC with 4650G on it. Any information would be great.
Thank You in advance.

2 Likes

Might not be in your bios, dig around in there and make sure your on the latest bios version

Hey the bios is a bit of a pig but for me

Bios - advanced - amd cbs - nbio - smu Common options - system config am4

That should get you the options for wattage. I actually spoke with an engineer at asrock and he did a bunch of testing and confirmed my power draw stats are close and the boot video out issue was something funny with my cpu.

Any way you could get your hands on the Pro 4650GE? Has a lower TDP to begin with and then an undervolt could get you even further perhaps?

1 Like

I have not seen any GE but I can not access the actual overclocking settings, it just shows a blank screen. My best effort so far is setting the power plan up to allow the CPU min state to be zero. I might email them again and see if I can get the overclock settings working if it is possible. Setting a custom voltage does not seem to do anything. My ram is the cheapest crap I could at 3600

I was just today messing with Ryzen Clock Tuner and it reports my chip as bronze quality and suggests 1175mV but when I apply it just jumps back to 4.1 on all cores and 145 watt draw in Ryzen balanced. Playing an HD movie is around 50 watts and watching an HD burned Blu Ray is around 70 so not terrible for what I have.

Hopefully asrock support do not mind but the rep helping me went above and beyond checking my numbers and sent the below, He was using a good quality Normal power supply so I still need to check if my system is idling higher because my power supply is having to step down 18v.

"Today I also tested A520M-HDV with Ryzen 5 Pro 4650G, using BIOS 1.31. Regular AC PSU.

Default BIOS settings, Power plan AMD Ryzen High Performance

Total system power consumption in idle mode: 29W

Total system power consumption running Prime95 small FFTs stress test: 145W (max CPU frequency around 4042 MHz)

Default BIOS settings, Power plan AMD Ryzen Balanced

Total system power consumption in idle mode: 27W

Total system power consumption running Prime95 small FFTs stress test: 146W (max CPU frequency around 4042 MHz)

35W profile, Power plan AMD Ryzen High Performance

Total system power consumption in idle mode: 30W

Total system power consumption running Prime95 small FFTs stress test: 82W (max CPU frequency around 3467 MHz)

35W profile, Power plan AMD Ryzen Balanced

Total system power consumption in idle mode: 31W

Total system power consumption running Prime95 small FFTs stress test: 82W (max CPU frequency around 3467 MHz)

The A520 chipset does not really support overclocking. The AMD CBS menu is part of the AGESA code, which is also used for B550 and X570. So you might still see some menu structure for OC options, but some settings/options will not be available. It is not a CPU limitation or something specific to your CPU. I got the same with my test sample."

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.