Ryzen 4000 mobile support

Hey there,

Since Ryzen 4900 mobile reviews are incoming, has anybody seen any linux basic compatibility check? So far CPU performance looks very convincing…

G14 looks very, very nice, buuut, i prefer to avoid Asus and nvidia due to their quirkines in implementation and driver hatred in past experience…

Are there any 4900H non-dGPU notebooks already announced (i don’t need GPU power as long as 2 monitors can be ran, would like a lot of CPU)?

Basically after WFH orders are through, i’d like to bother my boss for a new toy… However i don’t want an unstable mess…
Thanks for the info!

So far, the only linux testing I’ve seen on ryzen 4000 was on that system here https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/04/linux-on-laptops-asus-zephyrus-g14-with-ryzen-9-4900hs/

Long and short of it is Nvidia was a no go, but the cpu was incredible. Most manufacturers are going to use Nvidia cards as they are a great pairing for gaming, which is the main market, though I believe I read somewhere that the thinkpad is getting a ryzen 4000 option without Nvidia. Those of us like you that prefer to not have Nvidia will have to wait a bit longer though. Intel has historically made deals with OEM’s to use only Intel cpu’s, so AMD has a bit of catching up work as they prove they make good CPU’s, and become a name that the general populous wants to buy.

EDIT: I own a ryzen 2000 laptop, and it’s a nightmare to run linux. No stock linux kernel will even boot on it. That being said, since Ryzen 3000, they are solid in linux even on launch day for 3000.

I actually got myself the G14 just recently and the Linux situation is bad-ish. I mean installing it worked right out of the box and a lot of things seem to be working just fine (I tried Ubuntu so far). What doesn’t work:

• Screen brightness is not adjustable
  • Sound on speakers is somewhat adjustable (changing volume changes the sound characteristic, but not the actual loudness. Fine on hearphones though)
  • Battery life is atrocious (2hrs vs 6hrs on Windows)
  • Graphics card (altough that is out of the box. Apparently some people got it working just fine)

So from what I can tell the support for the Ryzen CPU itself is looking pretty good apart from tuing for battery performance. The actual implementation on the specific device is what mostly causes the problems.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.