Ryzen 3900x build, with 5700xt, PoPOS or Linux Mint, X570 Mobo, Should I wait?

If you are referencing their hijacked ISO’s they long since fixed that.

I dont know if there is any thing wrong with linux mint. It is probably one of the best distributions for the average user.

Yeah but that wasn’t really LM’s fault.
And could basically happen to any third party mirror.

1 Like

Older article, but touches on some of it. Most of my info comes from talking with other Linux enthusiasts and package maintainers. I was not referring to the website breach and bad ISOs. Couple of the things I remember is that Linux Mint did some short cuts in their code to make something easier for new users, but was a bad for security. I do not remember what the actual code was. I have just herd it enough times from different developers / package maintainers that I steer very clear of Linux Mint.

2 Likes

Exactly! It was blown far out of proportion.

You know, There is this thing called individual thought. I do not mean to pick on you but not updating the kernel had nothing to do with security. They were validating patches to make sure they were compatible. This is what Debian does. It is one of the more secure distributions.

Old and does not directly accurately reflex it’s usefulness .

I would recommend mint as great starting point considering the ease of use for media. Pop Os is the latest hipster os for gaming and they have put some work into it but… some of it is so specific as to exclude it as a good general all arounder

Well the thing with this is basically,
LM’s follows Ubuntu´s update path for the most part.
Except from the Cinnamon Desktop, which is of course entirely their code.

So yeah i´m not fully sure when “if” there trully is a problem,
if that problem would actually be LM related only then.
The thing is that Linux Mint of course does provide an kernel update tool unlike Ubuntu actually.
However those kernels do come directly from the Ubuntu shelf so to speak.
Also There is a difference between updating a kernel in terms of hardware enablement.
Or in terms of security patches to a said kernel.
And when it comes to security patches, LM just gets the same patches to a kernel as Ubuntu and generally speaking Debian does.

1 Like

You do not need to be on the latest kernel to be secure. The latest kernel is usually bug ridden and overrated.

I would use Mint to build a good kodi box but might consider Manjaro or Pop for gaming. Actually pop for nvidia based gaming. I do not like Ubuntu per say.

Here is another article talking about some of the packaging with Linux Mint. As I said before. Some or all of these concerns might not be an issue any more. I have just herd enough bad things about the code quality of Linux Mint that I stay away.

You have been reading to much politics and not enough using things for what they do well.

The sec you link something to something else… security risk and it does not matter what it is or what you use.

I have been in the Linux Community for 21 years now. I do not base my opinion on what I read online. Was trying to find articles that support the conversations I have had with developers / package maintainers, and security professionals. By all means use what you wish. I try lots of distros just to see whats new. For my main system its pretty much always Fedora, and CentOS for my servers. There is just much better out there for new users then Linux Mint.

I would recommend Pop_OS, or Manjaro for non IT users looking to get in to Linux. For the more tech savy. I would look more to Endeavour OS, Fedora, OpenSUSE, or Solus. For the ones looking to really dive in head first and learn a lot in a short period of time. I would suggest Arch, Gentoo, or Slackware.

I know, LTS kernels don´t mean that they are outdated,
the still get their security patches etc.
So it´s still totally up to date.
It’s just that in regards to LTS kernels with newer hardware,
you might miss out on some support of that.
But like i mentioned linux mint offers a kernel update tool,
that also list the newest kernel in case your gpu drivers or whatever don´t work well.
Of course messing around with kernels could potentially break installs.
But yeah, you could if you want or need to.

Rolling is of course a bit different, at least when it comes to Arch,
whenever some new kernel rolles out, it gets passed trough their update channels.
This is generally good for the newest hardware support etc.
But this does not mean that a rolling distro is more secure then an LTS based distro indeed.

Interesting distribution. Lots of documentation. Takes a lot of time to keep stable though. I would roll Debian for rolling release. Seriously though, in response to Linux Mint. It is a great distribution. IDK what POP OS is.

I can agree with that structure… I use Mint, manjaro, pop for specific casual uses . Fedora for a general desktop. OpenSuse for very specific use. I care more about ease of use. I do not want to have spend a lot time on something that has been done decently before hand. I do not deal in servers so makes my opinion confined at bit.

I don´t say you are wrong.
Because i think it’s actually a pretty interesting item.
Of course making things easier could eventually lead to problems,
that is something i generally don´t disagree on.

I mean there is of course a reason why big dog distro´s,
like Debian, Open Suse or Fedora that are a bit harder to setup,
for novice people.

But i think this discussion might be better suited in its own topic maybe?
I don’t want to derail this topic, because then i have to spank myself. :blush:

But yeah PopOs or Linux Mint for a gaming setup.
PopOs is also based on Ubuntu, but they are on a newer kernel,
like the intrim releases of Ubuntu.
Out of the box this might work better for a Gaming rig with newer hardware.
Although Linux mint of course also comes with a kernel updater itself.

Manjaro could eventually be a smoother experience out of the box,
then both LM or PopoS for a gaming rig.
But Manjaro is bassed on Arch, so that is something to keep in mind.

1 Like

With the op’s posting… All I can say is pay attention the gpu support for your os of choice because there are paths of least resistance.

1 Like

Yup totally agree. :slight_smile:

Very much so. Best thing I could suggest is to gather up couple USB sicks, and just start trying some distros to see what feels the best to you. :slight_smile:

hmm, very interesting. With a Ryzen 5700XT, what is the path of least resistence? If I may ask?