Ryzen 3800x undervolting without ryzen master

howdy guys. I remember watching a few videos a while back from Wendell from lvl1 and OptimumTechAustralianDude and they mentioned that it was difficult to undervolt AMD ryzen 3 CPUs in linux because the bios wouldn’t offer complete undervolting options and RyzenMaster is only available for windows. Do you guys have any advice for undervolting using linux or in the bios? I’m trying to cool a Ryzen 3800x mounted to an asrock mini-itx 570/TB3 with a noctua L9i. I’m going to be installing manjaro-gnome on a m.2 ssd. In a similar vain I’d also like to undervolt my 1080 ti after that. And lastly I’d like to try to get my memoy up to better speeds. The memory is a 64gb kit with speeds of 3600mhz and cas latency of 18-22-22-42. I have been running it at 3200mhz stabely as it crashes at 3600. This isn’t the highest priority, but if any of you have experience messing with the more advanced ram settings to try to improve the speed then I’d love to get some advice from y’all.

I can’t use Ryzen Master either because I’m using virtualization. So I remedied to the limitation going to the BIOS and applying a flat -0.075V offset voltage.
If you need your machine to work reliably every day I wouldn’t advise you to tinker with anything, especially RAM since you’re already running a kit that can’t run at it’s rated speed because of the high capacity.
Messing with memory timings up to the tertiary timings is an insane amount of effort for the results that can bring home. It’s difficult to quantify 10ns difference in access time or 200CB points.

Usually SFF cases are a bit more forgiving. Weren’t you able to fit a L9x65? That’s what I’m using and still with the undervolt on a 3700x I can make the CPU throttle (or get close to throttle) with OCCT and AVX instructions.

1 Like

no. I can’t even get a cryorig C7 to fit without modding. The case is a NFC S4M, so cpu clearance is something like 34mm. I’d really like to get all of the potential that I can out of the machine. The ram isn’t a dealbreaker. Having 64gb of memory at 3200mhz on a mini-itx board is nothing to scoff at. My bigger concerns here are undervolting the CPU and the GPU. You mentioned that you applied a flat undervolt in the BIOS and it’s upholding well?

It is, but I’m running just 16GB of RAM @3600MHz CL18. If I go below -0.075V it starts crashing in games with GPU drivers errors (the drivers crash and get restarted by the system “seamlessly”).
Maybe you’ll be able to squeeze out a bit more since you’re running 3200MHz speeds, but I wouldn’t start below -0.075V.

Boosting has not been affected and the idle voltage is 0.9something so everything is working correctly.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.