Ryzen 3000 & Navi Megathread | Level One Techs

I’m not sure why i’m here defending DerBauer… It was a video i found interesting that seemed to reflect some of the Problems we’ve had here too. I saw nothing wrong with the methodology or outcome, but if you do, that’s fine by me.

It’s already been shown that higher clockspeeds can net lower scores in cinebench. Many Reviewers have faced that “Problem” when overclocking Ryzen 3000.

He didn’t claim it was a scientific test. He just made sure to evaluate the data he had as close to good as possible. The graphs are done properly and the Sigma values are done properly too. The data isn’t perfect, but that wasn’t implied.
It’s just a look at what’s out there, what users are seeing and reporting that back at the community, AIB’s and AMD to have a basis to work on. I’m sure all MB Manufacturers are doing their own, much more strict, tests. And DerBauer said that all the Manufacturers he talked to saw similar results to what he got here.

Timestamped

So maybe Cinebench is the problem?

As much as I like Roman, I think he is blowing this up a bit… It’s like 25MHz below advertised and it’s still early days of this architecture. Could easily be old windows versions, if he likes it or not, that does make a difference.

Would be interesting to see cinebench in a VM. Or on a Ryzen 3000 hackintosh. @wendell? You probably tried that already, right?

5 Likes

The older agesa which boosts higher has worse scores in cinebench and geekbench. Which no one noticed.

9 Likes

I posted this in the perfect UEFI settings topic but figured this might be a better spot…I’ve been struggling with on my 3700x (only my second newbuild PC!) and I want to try some of the suggestions to improve my voltages but have a specific question about my setup.

I have a ASUS Prime X570 Pro board and clicked auto OC in the Asus Dual Intelligent Processor software thinking it would be a simple way to get the best performance but now my system is pretty much constantly at 1.45v + and bounces between 3.600 and 4.300 boost pretty much every second. Performance is fine (and stable) and temps are not too bad considering (42 idle to 50/60 in gaming - mostly WOW classic atm though so hardly taxing the CPU :sweat_smile:) but I’m worried the voltage will degrade the CPU overtime and so want to bring the voltages down (without nerfing performance).

At the moment, no matter what I do in BIOS the Auto-OC seems to override (I set everything back to efault settings and voltages didn’t change one bit). The only thing I’ve found that works is selecting the power saver plan (again in the Asus software) when voltage drops to 1.000ish with clocks at 3.300. I can’t uninstall the Asus software easily so should I use the Asus software to rejig things? Or manually uninstall the software and reset everything to default and try and re-tweak things in the bios? (Newb question I know!)

Any and all help greatly appreciated. :crossed_fingers:

Looking at your clocks … that isn’t an overclock at all.
Also I’m still of the mindset that if you need software (like in user applications) to control hardware, something is wrong.

Mainboard auto OC never works properly. Just disable it and focus on the more important stuff.
There is loot to be had!

Thank you for the reply - It’s the disabling it that’s causing me headaches (Asus don’t give an undo button unfortunately) and the uninstall (both windows and from the start button) doesn’t work right but I can manually delete and use one of the cleaner programmes and some manual reg edits! I just want the voltages lower at this point :sweat_smile: but I also want the boost to still work and I think if I set a voltage it won’t scale up or down so getting back to default settings might be my best bet to start!

1 Like

I can’t seem to find this setting? both AMD systems i have at the moment have an Asus board. Is this one of those things that has a different name for every manufacturer? lol

It should be in the AMD settings. Maybe called preferred core

What I have found is this.

Not sure if it will help.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?77632-Disable-overclock-from-5-Way-Optimization

Really appreciate the help - I did the bios reset but it didn’t appear to change the voltages / settings as voltages remained the same (1.45v +).

I turned off PBO manually at the same time and boosts did drop to 4.3 (I was getting 4.375 with the auto overclock and PBO enabled) I just assumed I had a worse than average chip and PBO nearly got it to the advertised 4.4 spec.

I wondered if the software overwrites the bios everytime windows loads…? I’m going to play around changing a few things tonight and see if I can override the auto-oc settings and if they stay changed! I’d rather not reinstall windows but suppose that could be an option too - seems extreme!

Update:

5 Likes

just like I said in my vid… withhold judgement till after the 3950X is out.

I do think that more than half and probably more like 7/10ths at least of the 3700x and 3800x are boosting prettymuch the way I’d expect.

The 3900x needs love though.

4 Likes

I don’t think there is much they can do about the existing CPUs though. As Shimano said, a little tweaking eventually, but no big changes. Maybe they were planning on better yields etc? We will probably never know until 20 years later when some engineer writes some memoirs on what went wrong.

My 3700X on a B450 MB seems to be getting within 5MHz of the 4.4GHz max boost clock

even closer…

3 Likes

That may be down to spread spectrum so this looks good

3 Likes

My chip also hits the exact boost clock promised…
This is my 3900x in a MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon.

4 Likes

Well my 3600 x470 gaming pro carbon got fired up today ran for about an hour and now no more gpu output. Swapped go into old system and fires right up. So gonna take my 1600x and put in x470 and see what happens. Voltage idle was around 1.38 for anyone who was interested. Hope maybe a bios reflash will fix it…If not I will send back in and try again

Before I updated my bios I was getting 4.2ghz all core. Now I am getting 4.0… Wendell has verified that the latest agesa update has lowered the clock speeds, but hasn’t made it so performance is worse. I am still getting the same fps that I was getting if not better now than with the 4.2ghz all core boost.

And…my 3600 lasted two hours. It is dead. Whole bunch of back and forth and now I am out of thermal paste. My 1600x boots fine. Put 3600 back in and nothing board lights up and you runs for about thirty seconds. No diagnostic led nothing. After reflashing bios and swapping CPUs three times with same results. Rma will get back with ya when I get a working chip and do some testing

2 Likes