Ryzen 3000 & Navi Megathread | Level One Techs

I really want to see a comparison of the 3700X and 3800X. At first glance the 3700X is the obvious winner, why pay extra for such a small performance difference? But the higher TDP on the 3800X might keep it boosted higher and will probably help with overclocking too.

Overall very exciting stuff. I would buy AMD if I were upgrading today without a doubt.

1 Like

I have one request. For VFIO, could you benchmark a few games on bare metal win10 and then in a VM with one whole CCX reserved for win10. Or if giving the VM one CCX and a half what would be the outcome.

Basically I am super curious to see if there is a performance loss or even the opposite a performance gain in games.

I was thinking about upgrading to 3900X but, I would really like to see if there is a solution to watercool the x570 chipset instead of having a fan, and which motherboard would be the best for that.

Newegg has the ryzen launch not as the starting splash. RiP

1 Like

My biggest concern is the reduced write bandwidth for stuff like 1440p high refresh Looking Glass.

also on newegg… only way to get the 3600 non X is in a MB bundle…
wtf

update… they eventually fixed it so you could find them with normal browsing…

1 Like

Asrock aqua. Whole board monoblock

No release date yet, I hope we don’t have to wait too long

fucking WOW like im wowed poised to make me more money keep pumping that amd stock

1 Like

Mindfactory has already sold their stock of 3700X, 3800X and 3900X.

Interesting fact about this picture: This is from the launch day. Meaning everything that is sold out tells us how many of them they had on launch day.

(Edit: green “Lagernd” means: in stock, “Bestellt” means on backorder / sold out

On day one they had:
R9 3900X - 180 in stock
R7 3800X - 40 in stock
R7 3700X - 190 in stock

The 3800X seem a bit … too few?

2nd Data-Point: Everything else listed on geizhals.de (German price comparison site with superb filtering) is sold out for Ryzen 7s and Ryzen 9s.

2 Likes

Hey there @wendell. Would please kindly like to request that for new am4 motherboard reviews going forwards that you also check if a specific motherboard or vendor (msi, gigabyte, etc) will permit the booting of the amd motherboard without any GPU installed. The reason I am asking is because some of us like very much to use them as headless servers. Loading them up with LSI sas hba / raid cards instead. And so getting rid of the GPU frees up more expansion for extra sata controllers or network cards. Thank you.

Currently it seems that perhaps? Both ASRock and ASUS boards permit booting without a GPU. Wheras MSI does not. However it’s something that might change in future, for example with these new x570 motherboards. And since the feature is completely unspecified… we have no clear way to be certain unless kind people such as yourself specifically check for this capability. Thank you Wendell for all your linux, wine and virtualization similar videos. We very much enjoy hearing about these topics !

BTW if you ever have any future updates on the progress of looking glass, and also in regards to NVIDIA g-sync. Please let us know :smile:

2 Likes

So Steve at GN reported the cpus he was sent from amd had left-over thermal paste on them. Is amd cherry picking the review units?

@wendell did your samples have the same?

X2 I’m interested in headless booting also

I looked for it. Not that I could tell. Our 3700x is unlikely to have been cherry picked because it seems like it does the specs on the box and nothing more. and I have microcenter CPUs now anyway. Our 3700x pbo and even 1t perf wasnt great but cranking the voltage, manual oc fiddling, and dealing with the heat was fine for short term testing … pushed to 4.6ghz

1 Like

So,

3700X vs 3800X overclocks? Anyone? Google is too retarded to handle such query so I must place my faith on humans

1 Like

No data yet. 3800x is in scarce supply. I might have one tomorrow, possibly. Or not. Who knows.

1 Like

It could be the plan and expectation that “we” buy that 3700X :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I got suddenly this worry that with Ryzen 9 3950X, AyyMD will also do that weird Ryzen 7 3700 12 core what was listed on early “leaks”

Which I guess would be logically named as Ryzen 9 3900 :thinking:

Now would you look at that

1 Like

There is a distinction here between IPC and single thread performance … I am not dying on that hill today though.

8 Likes