Ryzen 3000 & Navi Megathread | Level One Techs

I’m sure you got there, you just won the GPU lottery. My 1080 isn’t stable over 2050 unless I really pump a ton of voltage into it, which I’m not comfortable doing.

Maybe. :confused:

My point (poorly illustrated) is that smaller dies can hit higher frequencies.

When you add more cores, you’re stuck with the max speed of the shittiest core.

1 Like

Sure, that’s why everybody bins their chips. If a given chip isn’t up to snuff as a 3080 or whatever, you disable a bunch of cores and/or downclock it and sell at a discount as a 3070.

2 Likes

You’re missing the plot.

I’m saying that if the “small” (current) navi chips run at 1900mhz or whatever, the chances that a larger one will do the same is basically none.

More over, there’s a reasonable limit to how much power they can consume before consumers reject the card as “hot and loud”

That is not necessarily true. 1070s were binned 1080s, the same GP104 chip. As I mentioned earlier, the full-fat GP104 ran stock at 1733Mhz. Smaller Pascal GPUs were the GP106, which powered the GTX1060 and ran at 1709Mhz, and the GP107 in the GTX1050 which ran at 1392Mhz.

Moving on to power, the 5700XT is 225W, compared to the Vega64 at 295W. So there’s a lot of leeway there too.

Look up articles and youtube videos, also helps to look at this information a bunch of times a year. Few years down the road look at what the old cards are getting in benchmarks and compare them to the new ones.

GamersNexus would be a good youtube chanel if you are just looking for a one stop shop.

1 Like
1 Like

Darn thats what I’ve been wishing for and even demoted my wishes to that CCX way

I have time and interest to squeeze each CCX to perfection

Having some bigger Navi to go along with the TR 3950X would be nice, however the reviews will be: “Too hot, too much power, no RTX.”

They probably tried to follow suit with Nvidia on “$500 is midrange now”, wich failed Nvidia and AMD as we see now.

I made High-Tech my hobby, study this stuff and take every rabbit hole until the end.

It is more complex than that.

Maybe finding out the CCX puzzle allows nicer PBO :thinking:

w/e cant be bad to find out each CCX base so they come up nicely, each with their own little retardations
and the best worst case scenario would be that one CCX is so bad that you have to RMA

Press AGESA was more stable perhaps?

Also, teething issues with Windows WHEA are still present. It might require a driver fix:

I can confirm that 1002 agesa builds are more stable based on experimentation I’ve done on Asus C7H.
1003AB is sketchy AF.

AB != ABA . For some AB is better than 1.0.0.2 but yeah.

2 Likes

I’m aware. I’ve only done testing with a 1003AB test build and that wasn’t going well either compared to 1002 for a 1700X and 3600X.

It seems like that July 7th target date may have been a bit ambitious. WHEA/PCIe hardware errors abound and just other odd PCIe shenanigans. Hope there’s an update sooner than later

If they come out with version ABBA, that will never touch my motherboard. I’m old enough to remember disco. The horror, the horror.

2 Likes

Anyone noticed latest 1903 update and AMD chipset driver bringing any noticeable improvement?

Big uplift in mixed mode workloads. Like firestrike but mainly small uplifts in regular games . Medium sized uplift in stuff like indigo and 7zip. Biggest gain inna game is farcry5 which makes sense since it’s so weird anyway

1 Like

too funny!

3800X? Steve says no!

1 Like