Ryzen 3000 & Navi Megathread | Level One Techs

I get B450 in a way, B350 is a nono.

same here

Yeah only the MSi B450 Gaming pro carbon is reasonable.
It also supports bios flashback.
All other boards are crap.

And yeah then i´m not going to start about pci-e connectivity limmitations,
of B-series boards in general.
I mean i trully don´t see manny reasons to go for B450 really.
X470 is of course a different story, most those atleast have a reasonable pci-e layout.

1 Like

no debug leds… sadly

but good news… report later…

On a side note, looks like Valve is tracking an issue with Proton and the 3000 series CPUs:

Seems to be UMIP related. What does that mean @Wendell? Wine devs are ignoring the issue it looks like.

1 Like

I think they were talking next year for the b versions. I am willing to lay money the x versions are not selling very well.

All these problems with everyone slapping 3000’s in older mbs :)~

Not so crazy am I ?

Overvoting and high temps is enough for me to pop for a current mb alone.

It is cool some of this is backwards compat but… We all know how that works… not without issues.

2 Likes

Read this thread.

1 Like

Thanks, i already have the new drivers, though it defaulted to the High Performance Power Plan, so I’ll change that later to see if that changes anything. My Current BIOS reports “Support ComboPI 1.0.0.3ab”. No clue if this is 1.0.0.3ABB or not.

I’m not too worried about reported Voltages though. It just seems like the stock cooler is a tad undersized. Playing some extensive Overwatch at 1440p 250-300 FPS led to several “Notifications” that i’m above 80C. It might just be, that the fact we are having Summer with up to 35C or more in my Room might lead to the stock Cooler being just not enough.
I’m confident that the CPU will throttle where needed and that i’m able to run it like that for a month or two. Once it gets cooler outside, i’ll take another look. Next month i’ll look into some cheaper options for upgrading the cooler, if only to reduce noise. At those temps, the CPU Cooler and all Casefans are running full tilt, which is a bit annoying.

Yea with such high ambient no wonder you get high CPU temps.

Yup exactly that. :slight_smile:
Also pci-e quirks, why limit a cpu that supports the newest tech with an old motherboard?
Especially when it comes to B-series boards.
It makes no sense if you ask me.

But yeah certain tech tubers keep yelling about not to waste money on X570 boards right? … :wink:

Also the last Ryzen 3K series chip has yet to launch for whatever reason…Let it come out. get reviewed independantly and let the MB makers patch for it if needed.

Then after the dust settles maybe a clear choice is apparent. But who can tell.

If you need to do so now… Respect…My GPU failed so I bough navi. Dont work on linux but I knew that. Waiting it out with gaming on windows 10 LTSB until im back to linux and steam play.

Clear choice for me was the 3900x and 5700xt combo. I could have gotten a 3950x once launched, but then maybe I would still be stuck with a gtx 1060. I got a 5700xt for 350 USD a 3900x for 500 USD, and my main work case (handbrake) I get double the performance with 1080p transcodes, have yet to try a 4k transcode.

See, I went with a sapphire Vega56 pulse recently for one of my systems. Because that already works flawlessly in linux, has enough performance for my use case and costs 250,- bucks instead of 350,- or more with a decent cooler .

This is like the R9 Fury all over again.

1 Like

About that, a Strix X470-F is currently half the price of a Strix X570-F.
So yeah, it is definitely about price. Still on the fence about getting that X470 though.

Just watched the Ryzen 3000 status update video and indeed disabling PBO entirely nets higher boost clocks.

Though I’m not 100% sure the performance vs ondemand governor thing is favorable to DXVK and Vulkan titles, so I leave it on performance.

I’m waiting for ASUS to fix their shit, though. Voltages seem too high on auto settings, and even with a Dark Rock Pro 4 my 3700X is running anywhere from 40-60c under light loads, like watching YouTube. Usually 45-55c.

I’ll be picking up a 3900X when they come back into stock so I’m hoping a BIOS update will settle things soon.

Hey @wendell, for that DevOps system, you need to benchmark 8K RED footage on that RAID 0. Video editors will go nuts about how fast that can scrub footage without buying a Radeon SSG:

Remember Radeon SSG?

1 Like

Contact Newegg. They should be quick about replacing it if they have one in stock.

I have read that a few people have gotten dead 3rd gen CPU’s…

There is literally 0 reason to throw away money on these overpriced x570 boards… when Ryzen came out you could get a x370 board for $150 or less… I paid literally $80 for my x370 board and its working fine with my 3900x… I don’t have voltage or boost problems that other people have.
B350 should be totally fine for most Ryzen 3000 chips because honestly they use less power than first gen chips in most scenarios.

It just makes sense to spend the least for the best performance. Most people are on a budget.

1 Like

Anyone else have a 3000 series with similar HWINFO data?

This is saying I have an Engineering sample?

1 Like

I don’t think AMD would accidentally ship an engineering sample.

1 Like