Ryzen 3000 & Navi Megathread | Level One Techs

I second that. I think something like carbonaut would be best for testing thermals, as you don’t risk having one setup with a poor application.

Would this work well with a 5700xt?

Just my two cents it would. My 1070/1600x works nicely with my 144hz Pixio. Mild overclocks on both.

1 Like

I run 3440x1440p with my i5 4670 and 1070, you’ll be perfectly fine with it :stuck_out_tongue:

I tried them, and no bueno vs paste.

2 Likes

are you going old school with it and spreading across the entire IHS or, concentrating smaller “peas” on the i/o die and cpu chiplet? aka what pattern is trending best for you?

What does it want out of a good pasting?

Interesting, I was told that “they” had come a long way with these higher end pads from Fujipoly, Sarcon, 3M, etc. A buddy at work actually reported great success with his, but I don’t know the details.

I used to spread it across the IHS with a used gift card. Wendell told me to do three pea size dots across the cpu.

Did some poking around with my 3700x with overclocking. I really don’t like that at stock it goes to nearly 1.5v, so I settled for a 4.2Ghz allcore at 1.25v. Yeah I lose boost potential to 4.325Ghz but it also keeps temps down at 52c when under load, which is a nice improvement over my 1700’s 61c when running at 3.8ghz at 1.28125v

4.3 at 1.35v was stable but thats too big a jump for not enough gain, and my goal was to keep it under 1.3v

1 Like

I think it was Elmor or, Stilt’s referring to Elmor, that posted something on OCUK - that you don’t want to under-volt Ryzen 3000 for just what you are seeing - that the chip will volt itself back.

yes, this is true in some scenarios. Thats totally accurate. The one channel did the crazy underclock which muddied the waters for everything else.
“Undervolt” in this context means “rightvolt” … see also the housefire voltage defaults asus uses currently.

For pasting, I’m having the best luck with 3 pea-sized dots centered on the 3 chiplets on the 3900x. @Argone reported good success with that method vs his “gift card smear” method he used previously

4 Likes

I’m a spreader also, but I use a little spatula, and I think I’m seeing heat throttling. But I also busted one of the springs on my water block mounting screws (D’OH!), so I’m wondering if that’s a contributor too. I eagerly await word on testing / engineering from Watercool. Apparently they’re doing some testing to see if there are gains to be had from re-engineering the CPU blocks to account for the new ‘hot spots’. Can’t wait to see some actual data on that!

We spreaders should stick together. In all honesty I think I just used a weak amount initially. With my 5820k and 2700x I was seeing max load temps in the 50defgrees or so. Zen 3000 runs hotter. Albeit, being a smaller die size it is bound to run hotter.

I just got my first complete system freeze after updating the drivers. Curious if it was the radeon driver update or something else.

1 Like

I would likely just run it at stock for now,
and let the platform uefi´s mature a bit.
Ryzen simply isn´t great at overclocking.
And when you are lucky you might be able to get 4.3Ghz / 4.4 Ghz,
on all cores stable with a decent cooling solution.

At the moment, I am running stock minus the under volt. If I ran that at stock my CPU would be fried.

Are there any reports of a 5x boot loop when you first install the CPU? That’s what my retailer told me.

Maybe for memory training? :confused:
I can’t think of anything else that would do that.

1 Like

@Argone - Are you running a 5700 series card? just curious.