Ryzen 3000 & Navi Megathread | Level One Techs

Good to read that you’re happy with it. :slight_smile:
Gigabyte also seems to have improved on the uefi’s allot, so thats a good thing.

1 Like

Yeah the uefi is solid no complaints other then i want a switch to select between bioses.

Used to be an Asus guy since the Pentium days was the first board i ever bought, still remember the name. PI-P55T2P4 hehe.

From you use description I´d say you never really idle and that the voltage/boost spikes you see are totally normal for PB2.

HEVC really requires something like third gen threadripper for massive parallel encoding with SVT-HEVC. Remember that proprietary HEVC encoders finally were able to encoder realtime HEVC 8K 60fps HDR on Epyc recently.

From what you posted earlier I don’t think you really ever reach idle, you have too many things open. For me with just windows and afterburner and one youtube tab open in chrome it will go back to 1.1v after the initial video load.

If I have other webpages open in other tabs with animated ads for example like imgur it gives the cpu enough things to do that it’s boosting one of the cores and getting 1.47v

1 Like

Maybe I am thermally limited then. I did end up running Cinebench R20 and, from what I found online, got a result that seems to be at least close to where it should be.

I also did a run of classroom on stock volts and with fans cranked, I hit 80°C pretty much instantly and it climbed up into mid 90s. And this time I could actually see the throttling in the graph of ksysguard. Funny thing is, the time was the same. 7:08.

I suspect current AIOs on the market (and other blocks for that matter) have the internal fin stack in the block nowhere near the CPU die for Ryzen 3000. So whilst putting paste in the right spots will probably help, I think we probably need new blocks.

2 Likes

My R5 3600x temps with an Asetek 280mm AIO are awful, i think you’re onto something.

2 Likes

My 3600X had a peak temp of ~65C with a be quiet silent loop 280mm at 900rpm, that block seems to work nicely. I used EK ectotherm paste with a thin layer spread on the IHS and then a tiny dot in the centre on top.

The same chip with the prism cooler from a 2700X and it’s stock paste doesn’t hit 60C while gaming with it’s fan at ~1450rpm, but can get to 78C with prolonged prime95 testing.

1 Like

Finally had time to test my 3700x and wow im impressed, comparing it to the 8700k and 9700k its a much better value for a slight loss on single core performance in Cinebench R15/R20.
To my surprise my Corsair H80i V2 keeps it at 60c - 70c with one fan running 1000 rpm - 1200 rpm depending on the benchmarking software, however I have noticed one thing, seems she maxes out at 4170mhz ± on the latest Bios (ABBA). I’m wondering if any of you have the same performance or if I just got unlucky in the silicon lottery.

1 Like

From what i hear, there are some BIOS/UEFI/AGESA updates that were released shortly after the CPU to help with boost clocks hitting rated performance. If your board isn’t fully up to date (vs. what AMD have released) it could be the limiting factor, rather than your CPU.

”Max out at x MHz”
With HWinfo64, do you mean:
1: all core during CB runs? - looks pretty normal for 3700x
2: single thread CB runs? - a bit low?
3: max reported after prolonged light desktop use? - very low.

I encode just fine. I get 34-47fps with my settings. I’ve encoded most of my library over the last couple weeks.

Cinebench runs quickly on these CPU’s. That performance is closer to mine as I score 7200-7300.

I guess that is possible. I literally don’t ever have nothing open on my PC. I guess Ryzen 3000 just reacts differently with background applications.

Very nice numbers! What temps do you hit with something like y-cruncher? If you do a big set like (super pi 1G/2G size) what would your temps be.

Mine hits around 72-73 immediately under Cinebench 20.
For thermal paste on my Asetek 280 (actually a Thermaltake Water 3.0) I tried that CM Nano Maker with the “pea dot” method and then the “3 dot method”, but the best results I’ve had was with the AS5 and the “penis method”, which was quite comical.
Under normal usage, such as normal 4k gaming, it parks under 66c.
Do you know who manufactures that cooler for BeQuiet?

Already did :eyes:

@Bagaget I should have specified, I was monitoring them with Ryzen master and it gives lower numbers compared to hardware info or hardware monitor when running cinebench R20

It peaks around 4.3MHz or 4.4MHz for a second, I didn’t know if it would sustain it while in cinebench or not as im new to ryzens performance and quirks & features :stuck_out_tongue:

@Jimster480 never knew about y cruncher until now, thank you! I did multicore super pi 2GiB, Total computation time: 23.636 seconds, max temp 72c.

2GiB? What? Which option is that. I was talking about 2G digits of Pi at Option 30/31.

Are you talking about option 29 at 2.71GiB memory usage?

this is my 4G test:
Total Computation Time: 199.817 seconds
Start-to-End Wall Time: 212.841 seconds

CPU Utilization: 2244.97 % + 2.10 % kernel overhead
Multi-core Efficiency: 93.54 % + 0.09 % kernel overhead

Spot Check: Good through 4,294,967,296

And my 2G test:
Start Date: Tue Oct 15 20:16:13 2019
End Date: Tue Oct 15 20:17:49 2019

Total Computation Time: 89.888 seconds
Start-to-End Wall Time: 96.480 seconds

CPU Utilization: 2233.37 % + 2.71 % kernel overhead
Multi-core Efficiency: 93.06 % + 0.11 % kernel overhead

Spot Check: Good through 2,147,483,648

I will do some more when I finish transcoding these shows in another day or two.

2.71, should have specified; my bad. Ahh waaaiit, that went over my head thought you meant the GiB, I’ll redo my tests