Ryzen 3000, GPU speculation

Pcie Gen 4 will reduce that requirement. Gpus that required 8 lanes will be able to use 4, since the bandwidth is pretty much double.

That said, pcie requirements will catch up soon.

2 Likes

Can you explain this further?

Three slots on an AM4 substrate. 1 IO die, two compute dies.

You must have one CPU chiplet (zeppelin CCX die), but the second one could be either a Navi GPU or another CPU.

It won’t be a giant Navi, if they go that route, but it will perform pretty well.

2 Likes

With the large socket on TR I hope that means that there is also twice as many cores possible on TR3000. If 16 cores go on a Ryzen chip, then 64 could easily be on a TR chip. But I am not a cpu engineer. I just play one on TV.

I think Der8auer pretty much confirmed that the TR4 socket is, basically, the same as the SP3(Naples/Rome) Socket. But with something removed, I can’t remember how he confirmed it, but Der8auer is pretty savvy when it comes to CPUs.

Anyway, most things possible on SP3 should work on TR4 with some PCIe and memory channel limits IIRC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWQ74Fuyl4M Around 4-5 minutes in he starts talking about die and pin differences.

As there has been a 64 core Epyc beeing demostrated, 64 cores is definetly possible in the TR4/SP3 socket.

We might see it, definitely.

Radeon VII is a niche card for people wanting niche high end AMD hardware before Navi arrives.

It’s also something they had to announce to have something for GPU at CES.

I’m 60:40 looking to buy one on release. IF for no other reason than it will make VFIO easier with 2 vegas if one of them is vega 20 :smiley:

Also, i suspect the longevity will be relatively good with the 16 GB of HBM2. Also, hopefuly, fingers crossed, SR-IOV may be left enabled given it is basically a partially trashed Instinct part (i can only hope).

I might retire my rx480 and use vega64 for windows or linux as appropriate (with radeon VII in the other OS).

Also apparently “some things are fixed in vega 20” so who knows. Maybe some of the features never enabled in Vega 64 work now, so there is potential in the drivers beyond that which we see in benchmarks for it already.

Already been confirmed by AMD that there won’t be a GPU with this design.

It wouldn’t preform well on AM4 anyway unless you slapped a HBM chip on there too.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13852/amd-no-chiplet-apu-variant-on-matisse-cpu-tdp-range-same-as-ryzen2000

APUs lag behind by a generation so I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw Zen 2-based APUs in 2020 with a Navi GPU chiplet and GDDR6.

1 Like

Ah, I’d missed that article. Thanks for the confirmation. (too bad though, that would have been sweet)

I’d be curious if the current GPU’s are actually Gen 4 compliant. I think it’s going to take a fair bit of time (12 to 18 months) to get Gen 4 saturation to the point where AMD will have to worry about losing TR sales in favor of Ryzen based solely on core counts and PCIE lanes.

Radeon 7 will be PCIe 4.0, as Instinct is.

Ok, that’s a couple… still plenty of other models out there that are not.

Sure, but that’s because they were released prior to the PCIe4 spec was finalised, i suspect :smiley:

It was finished in October 2017. It’ll be interesting if devices come out as PCIE 5 backward compatible to 4. 5 comes out soon.

Probably not, considering Zen 3rd gen is the first chip with PCIe 4.0 support, to my knowledge.

Does Intel/ARM/POWER have support yet? (I’d imagine that out of all of them, IBM’s POWER would be the one to have it.)

Looks like we might be seeing limited PCIe 4.0 support on 300 and 400 series motherboards. :smiley:

2 Likes

IBM supports it on POWER9

2 Likes

It will only be for the top PCIe slot, so won’t have much use.

I disagree.

Throw a Radeon 7 in there and you can run that at 8x all day and never encounter a bandwidth limitation, freeing up other lanes for other devices running at PCIe 3.0 in other slots.

Given the limited number of PCIe lanes you have to work with, it’s beneficial to allow a slot that would otherwise need to be 16x run at a higher speed but lower number of lanes.

1 Like