Ryzen 3000 Build

I didn’t say it wasn’t.
At the same CAS 3600 is substantially more expensive. Yes, it’s better. The question is, enough to justify the price? I got 3200 CAS 16. C14 or 3600 RAM would have been double that and i doubt i’d see differences in the real world. Sure it’s measurable in Benchmarks, but who cares about high numbers in benchmarks?

2 Likes

Of course, price/performance on 3200mhz (cl16 min) is way better than 3600, also 3000mhz is good… if you can buy 3600mhz cl16 (32gb trident-z rgb, payed 300€ on ebay) i think is not a bad deal.

Back to config suggestion for our friend (topic author), i think is way better spend more money on a nvme 2t for games, instead of 3600 ram, this for sure. But if he can spend 100 euro more, a 3600 kit is owever a good piece to have on his rig.

2 Likes

100% Agree on that.

1 Like

Yup i totally agree on this.
Sure the infinity fabric benefits from faster memory kits with lower latency’s.
But ¨if¨ those benefits are significant enough in real world use case scenario’s to pay a whopping price premium for said premium highspeed kits is kinda questionable.

I would personally just buy a decent middle of the road kit 3200mhz or 3600mhz,
that are listed on the mobo’s qvl list and call it a day really.
G.skill Trident Z’s or FlairX kits or so.

2 Likes

Hi @MisteryAngel,

Yeah, that’s what I am thinking, I quite like the look of the current Dark Rock Series, very nice coolers.

Have you looked into aftermarket GPU coolers?

1 Like

Everything else looked rock solid.

1 Like

I have that card, it doesn’t need aftermarket cooling. :wink:

Yes, I agree. I really don’t like the idea of chipset fans so I would also take a look at solid X470 boards. Gonna be a while until GPUs completely overwhelm PCIe3 and in day to day use the differences between NVMe on PCIe4 and the current ones will be negligible.

1 Like

There’s always Gigabyte’s Aorus Extreme :wink:

I’m wondering why no one else has done this. I mean sure, the VRM on this board is ridiculously overpowered, but I think some X570 may have gotten away with that, if they had invested in a better VRM cooling solution.

1 Like

Sure, 500 bucks for one heatpipe. :wink:

3 Likes

What makes the chipset fan worse is the fact that in servers, chipsets that dump 25W are perfectly fine without a fan, they just have a real heatsink on them!

1 Like

Yes, I have to be honest I don’t really like the idea of a Chipset cooler but I sort of brought myself around to the idea of one as most of the x570 boards now have them.

Hmmm maybe an x470 might be back on the cards, we will see.

To be honest, I believe we won’t see chipset coolers on X670 boards. But we’ll see if this is truly the case, because I’m just speculating :smiley:

1 Like

This is probably the case. People already seem to be debating whether they are necessary on current boards, or whether it was just the AIB partners being overly cautious due to the sudden emergence of PCIe Gen 4 without many products currently available to test.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I think as well and why I am so against buying into these current boards.

To be honest, as much as I’m a fan of new PC stuff I won’t upgrade my CPU + Mainboard (Ryzen 2700X, ASRock X370 Taichi) in this generation or the next. Maybe X770 or X870, we’ll see.
Then, there’d probably be a good reason to pick up a PCIe 4 GPU and a nice NVMe, but we’ll see. (If I had to upgrade right now though, I’d probably pick a X570 board. What annoys me on many coolers though, is that is located in a way that the GPU would blow hot air into the cooler. I think MSI has their coolers rather on the bottom, but I don’t know if this would be beneficial.)

I don´t really get all the fuzz about the chipset fan really.
I mean till now i have not really heard many complaints,
about them from the people who actually have boards with them.

So i personally don’t get all the fuzz around it really.

15W to 18W of heat output is something i would consider a reason,
to actually cool it.

1U Server fans

Now imagine the same, but on a crappy chunk of aluminium that claims itself to be a heatsink.

Yes, I would put a 15W rated heatsink on it and no fan.

1 Like

You actually want to size up by 5 watts usually to avoid heat soak but yeah cooling them would be key to stable operation

UPDATE

Well after a while of saving and deciding on what I wanted I have finally bought the parts. In the end I went with:-

Gigabyte Aorus Master X570
Ryzen 3900X
BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Cooler
GSkill Trident Z Neo 16GB 3600Mhz

PC is in the process of being assembled. I have updated the BIOS as the board I have was shipped with F4. I have applied the 3 dot method to see how the Thermals behave and will be following the guide to perfect UEFI settings as published by @wendell.

Pics to follow shortly :grin:

5 Likes