Ryzen 2700X with 4x8GB 3200MHz memory?

I just watched a video of what seems to be a Ryzen system running 4 sticks of Trident Z RGB memory.

I’m considering getting an Crosshair VII Hero with a 4x8GB 3200MHz Trident Z RGB kit(F4-3200C14Q-32GTZR), but I’m not pulling the trigger as I barely see anyone using 32GB of RAM with ryzen, and it’s not on any memory QVL of ASUS or GSKILL.

I really do need 32GB of memory, and I would like to run it at 3200MHz with good timings. Should I expect it to work even thought it’s not on listed as supported? Do I have to choose either higher performance or more memory?

I would really appreciate some feedback from people running 32GB.

X470 boards are fairlly new, so it might be that not all kits are tested yet.
But going from the previous X370 series, most boards worked fine with Gskil Trident Z kits.
So i dont really expect it to be much different this time arround.

I’ve been using 4x8Gb 2933 kits on Ryzen 1st gen with X370 already since the start. So Ryzen 2 should also work.

1 Like

I do realize that the kits works, the question is at what frequency and what timings. What performance should one expect compared to the same kit but only using two DIMMs?

I have seen multiple builds with 3200MHz 4x8GB Trident Z RGB on both X370 and X470, and the performance seemed fine. Not sure how much luck is involved.

@MisteryAngel: I can’t imagine that those kits would be validated for X470 as GSKILL launched a similar kit – but for AMD – and they are still only validated for X399. Though it would be awesome if it got validated by either ASUS or GSKILL.

Can’t be too specific here because luck certainly is involved, but with that kit, 4 DIMMS 2933 with average to good timings should be expected. It varies, but that is likely what you see. Could get better or you could get worse but that is about what I’ve seen with Ryzen. 3200X4 is becoming more common with B Die

2 DIMMs of that kit should give you the rated performance of 3200 with the rated timings. You will prob be able to OC the kit to higher speeds ~3400+ or tighten timings.

2933 should be fine really. Past that is diminishing returns. So while 3200 would be ideal, if you absolutely need 32GB of RAM/4 DIMMs I’d go for it regardless.

Just to cover the bases.
You can also do 32Gb with 2DIMM’s with a 2x16Gb 3200Mhz Kit.

There are many options.

I had a similar question about 2 x 16GB compatibility, frequency, timings. 16GB RAM modules on X470

Short answer is “Good News Everyone!”

Well with the new Ryzen + launch and X470 boards,
AMD has made some improvements wenn it comes to memory speeds,
and probablly also compatibillity.
Keep in mind that Ryzen was the first platform for AMD with DDR4 memory standard.
So its not that strange that there are hurtless on a first platform launch.
It should be improved and more matured right now.

Also the Asus Crosshair VII Hero is pretty good wenn it comes to memory overclocking.
Its still one of the best boards out there.

I’ve been talking to ASUS and G.SKILL.

ASUS really didn’t know much and recommended that I had a talk with G.SKILL.

G.SKILL recommended the kits that’s specifically made for AMD to increase the chance of it working with rated XMP. The compatability of the motherboard is important and 4x32GB at 3200MHz with default timings would require a highly selective CPU with a strong IMC.

This confirms what I was expecting. It’s based a lot on luck and is probably why ASUS and G.SKILL won’t bet money on it.

@Nightly

I have the CH7H and I am currently using 2x16GB at 3200 (CMK32GX4M2B3200C16). I’ve been able to over clock it to 3400. It will boot, run and benchmark at that speed (oc 3400) but for extended regular use it’s not stable. Not too surprising this kit uses Hynix chips and Dual ranked. But, selecting DOCP and running 3200 it’s stable. This kit is not on the QVL for the board.

The kit above was not my original choice. I purchased two kits of G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) (F4-3466C16D-16GTZSK) which is on the QVL but, only when using 2x8GB for total of 16GB. Like you I wanted to run 4x8GB for tolal 32GB. I thought I could get away with it… Well it booted with all four dimms but at 1866. When I applied the DOCP it would not boot at all post loop from hades… at first. I removed two dimms and it booted with the DOCP profile at 3466 and was stable for bench marking and extended use. But I have this thing for 32GB. All my builds use 32GB. So, I then added back the other two dimms and pow, I booted all 32GB at the DOCP profile 3466. Ran benchmarks but, not stable for extended use. So I thought well, I chose incorrectly trying to get 32GB using these G.Skill kits @ 3466. I had the Corsair kit already that I was going to use in another build that I need lowprofile if wanting to mount AIO in the roof. I swapped it out and it runs fine as stated above. Even if only at 3200.

I would really like to use this G.Skill kit with all four dimms for 32GB as the kits themselves “match” my theme for the build but I haven’t been able to get it to run stable. I think I may need to lower the clock speed to 3400 or even 3200. Setting timings manually. I have not tried yet and I think I need some help but I will need to post my own SOS thread for assistance later on that topic. For what its worth, Der8auer suggested in his CrossHair VII Everything you need to know video, that when using four 8GB single Ranked Dimms the maximum target would be 3333… But I am not sure I want to down-clock my kit. 3333 not much of a gain over 3200. The only thing I would gain is I use the kit I intended to use with this build and free up my other kit.

Not sure I provided any value and I’m sure its flagged as TLDR but, I wanted to share with you my experiences with 32GB on the Crosshair VII - FYI CPU is 2700X This is my first Ryzen build and it’s all new to me.